Bergen Regional Medical Center is a facility located in Paramus, New Jersey. This city has a total of 26,342 people. Featuring an overall score of A-, this facility is among the better facilities we assessed. In addition, this facility is also based in a hospital, which often means the nursing home offers a wider array of healthcare services. This place's strong profile was highlighted by its inspection reports, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Bergen Regional Medical Center
- Nursing Home
- Contracted Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Paramus senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall grade, this facility received an A+ inspection score. This is based on its recent inspection reports. An A+ in this category is one of the best complements we can pay to a facility. Inspection ratings account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this category generally have few of these severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category. Our nursing score is primarily tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Bergen Regional Medical Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we graded is long-term care. This nursing home received an above average long-term care grade, with a grade of B+ in this category. Facilities that receive this kind of score in this category tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure residents are well cared for. Once we assessed the quantity of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 93.90089 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia sadly can be a life threatening ailment for nursing home residents so we prefer when a facility does not leave its residents vulnerable. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The fourth category we graded was short-term care, where this facility received a grade of B+. This topped off a very favorable profile. Not many nursing homes earned a B+ or better in in each area we assessed. In the category of short-term care, we seek to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bergen Regional Medical Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bergen Regional Medical Center, 6.09% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bergen Regional Medical Center, 3.18% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bergen Regional Medical Center, 0.66% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to lower quality nursing care. More frequent bathing can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bergen Regional Medical Center, 15.27% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bergen Regional Medical Center, 30.83% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bergen Regional Medical Center, 0% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Higher rates of depression may indicate a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bergen Regional Medical Center, 96.34% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bergen Regional Medical Center, 9.78% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bergen Regional Medical Center, 9.41% of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care patients who were able to retain mobility. Some experts argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients mental and physical health.
In Bergen Regional Medical Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bergen Regional Medical Center, 9.41% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bergen Regional Medical Center, 8.38% of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bergen Regional Medical Center, 55.24% of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Bergen New Bridge Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0 miles away230 East Ridgewood Ave Paramus New Jersey 07652Government - Local(201) 967-4000
- Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.65 miles away223 N Van Dien Avenue Ridgewood New Jersey 07450Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 447-8000
- Hackensack Meridian Health Pascack Valley MedicalAcute Care Hospitals 3.06 miles away250 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Proprietary(201) 383-1035
- Hackensack University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.21 miles away30 Prospect Ave Hackensack New Jersey 07601Voluntary non-profit - Private(551) 996-2000
- Holy Name Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.95 miles away718 Teaneck Rd Teaneck New Jersey 07666Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 833-3000
- Englewood Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.17 miles away350 Engle St Englewood New Jersey 07631Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 894-3000
- St Joseph's University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.74 miles away703 Main St Paterson New Jersey 07503Voluntary non-profit - Church(973) 754-2010
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.07 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- Fresenius Medical Care Paramus2 miles away37 West Century Road Suite 108 Paramus New Jersey 07652CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 262-0429
- Davita Renal Center of Westwood3.2 miles away363 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Dialysis Stations: 18 (201) 664-6649
- Davita Radburn Dialysis3.49 miles away15-00 Pollitt Drive Fair Lawn New Jersey 07410CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (201) 796-1385
- Davita Fairlawn Dialysis3.53 miles away18-01 Pollitt Drive Fair Lawn New Jersey 07410CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (201) 796-3873
- Fresenius Medical Care Hackensack4.13 miles away458 Passaic Street Hackensack New Jersey 07601Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 342-0801
- Davita Hackensack4.68 miles away113 West Essex Street Maywood New Jersey 07607CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (201) 843-3875
- Fmc Bergen Rcc4.99 miles away647 Cedar Lane Teaneck New Jersey 07666CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (201) 692-1113
- Davita East Paterson5.17 miles away680 Broadway Ste 103 Paterson New Jersey 07514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 357-8079