Berea Center is a facility in Berea, Ohio. The city has a total of 19,161 people. We gave this facility an overall grade of C. A grade in this range requires some solid marks. This actually ended up being the number one rated nursing home in Berea. One of the best aspects of this facility's report card is its stellar inspection score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable nursing home overall, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an A+. Few facilities performed better in this category. Inspection scores are based on many datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this area typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's long-term care grade is one of its best grades. The facility was given a grade of B- in this category. In determining our long-term care ratings, we scrutinize the assistance with daily living offered to a nursing home's residents. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to a relatively low 85.36585 percent of its patients, which is well below average. Nevertheless, this facility was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Berea Center?
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, we gave this facility a rock-bottom F in the category of short-term care. In calculating our short-term care grades, we look at a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This grade is considered to be a useful assessment of the nursing home's rehabilitation. With a grade in this range in this area, we were not surprised to find that this place was below average in several staffing areas we looked at. It supplied far fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most other nursing homes. The last datapoint we assessed in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar metrics was damning for this facility's short-term care score.
The last category we analyzed is nursing. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F for this area, which is a very poor score. This is obviously a significant disappointment. Our nursing grade considers many factors. The most important factor is the quantity of hours nurses spent with residents. With just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, this facility's nurse staffing levels were far below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This place fared well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Berea Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Berea Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Berea Center, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are often associated with lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Berea Center, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents which suffered from a UTI. UTI's may be an indication of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Berea Center, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used for several conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Berea Center, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Berea Center, 20% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Berea Center, 90.19% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Berea Center, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Some believe this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Berea Center, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Berea Center, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
- Southwest General Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.66 miles away18697 Bagley Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 816-6701
- Fairview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.56 miles away18101 Lorain Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44111Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 476-7000
- Uh St John Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.43 miles away29000 Center Ridge Road Westlake Ohio 44145Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 835-8000
- Metrohealth SystemAcute Care Hospitals 9.58 miles away2500 Metrohealth Drive Cleveland Ohio 44109Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 778-7089
- Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.3 miles away1730 West 25th Street Cleveland Ohio 44113Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 696-4300
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.93 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Marymount HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.45 miles away12300 Mccracken Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 581-0500
- Cleveland ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 14.46 miles away9500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44195Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 445-8400
- Center for Dialysis Care Middleburg Heights0.7 miles away6749 Eastland Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 234-3916
- Davita - Middleburg Heights Dialysis2.24 miles away7360 Engle Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Dialysis Stations: 24 (440) 891-5645
- Davita - Villa of Great Northern2.44 miles away22710 Fairview Center Dr., Ste 100 Cleveland Ohio 44126Dialysis Stations: 7 (440) 734-4630
- Fmc - Cleveland Clinic West3.14 miles away14670 Snow Road Brookpark Ohio 44142CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (216) 267-1451
- Davita - Parma Heights Dialysis4.92 miles away9050 North Church Drive Cleveland Ohio 44130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (440) 842-0895
- Center for Dialysis Care Westside Home Care LLC5.05 miles away24651 Center Ridge Rd Suite 450 Westlake Ohio 44145Dialysis Stations: 10 (440) 899-2808
- Davita - Parma Dialysis5.6 miles away6735 Ames Road Cleveland Ohio 44129Dialysis Stations: 19 (440) 743-0690
- Davita - Hilliard Dialysis5.78 miles away19133 Hilliard Blvd Rocky River Ohio 44116CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (216) 712-4700