Bentleys Extended Care is a facility in Saint Louis, Missouri which has a population of 927,396 people. With an overall score of B, this is a fine facility. Based on our analysis, this place has quite a bit going for it. This place was stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of the four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Bentleys Extended Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home received a strong overall grade as described above, but we wanted to note its excellent short-term care score. We awarded them an A- in this category. In computing our short-term care ratings, we size up a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This grade is often a useful measure of a facility's rehabilitation. Unfortunately, we weren't able to track down information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The final item we considered in this area is the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Turning to another one of this place's strengths, it also received a very impressive inspection rating. Inspections turned out to be one of its best category grades. We awarded this nursing home an A-. Our inspection scores weigh several factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this area usually have very few of these severe deficiencies. This facility received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered severe. This tells you that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to create an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Bentleys Extended Care?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. This wasn't quite on par with some of its other category grades mentioned above. Our nursing rating weighs many components, however, the primary consideration is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This particular facility provided just 0 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This figure is significantly below the national average. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics. While this place got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of these quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it performed very well in this subcategory. This is typically a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as having a protocol of moving a patient more often.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at was long-term care. We awarded this facility a B- in this area. In computing our long-term care ratings, we scrutinize the personal care offered to the nursing home's patients. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients. This place also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bentleys Extended Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bentleys Extended Care, 9.32% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bentleys Extended Care, 3.98% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term care residents that suffered a fall which caused serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bentleys Extended Care, 3.42% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often the result of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this metric may be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bentleys Extended Care, 20.31% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for treating a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bentleys Extended Care, 24.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term residents which were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bentleys Extended Care, 4.11% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. High rates of depression could be an indicator a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bentleys Extended Care, 88.89% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bentleys Extended Care, 14.76% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and eating. Many would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bentleys Extended Care, 15.81% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Bentleys Extended Care, 1.64 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bentleys Extended Care, 15.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bentleys Extended Care, 11.79 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 47 other nursing homes
- Ssm Health Depaul Hospital St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 3.46 miles away12303 Depaul Drive Bridgeton Missouri 63044Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 344-6000
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.82 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.06 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 6.84 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Ssm Health St Joseph Hospital-St CharlesAcute Care Hospitals 6.97 miles away300 1st Capitol Dr Saint Charles Missouri 63301Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 947-5000
- St Lukes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.52 miles away232 S Woods Mill Rd Chesterfield Missouri 63017Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 434-1500
- Christian Hospital Northeast-NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 9.24 miles away11133 Dunn Road Saint Louis Missouri 63136Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 653-5000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.64 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- St. Louis Regional Dialysis Center, Inc.1.23 miles away10951 St. Charles Rock Road Saint Ann Missouri 63074Dialysis Stations: 17 (314) 739-4691
- Quality Care Dialysis Centers - Bridgeton2.22 miles away12484 St. Charles Rock Rd Bridgeton Missouri 63044Dialysis Stations: 14 (314) 298-0320
- Saint Louis West Pd Dialysis2.68 miles away9632 Olive Blvd Saint Louis Missouri 63132Dialysis Stations: 2 (314) 994-9311
- Natural Bridge Dialysis3.28 miles away8980 Natural Bridge Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63121Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 426-2064
- Saint Louis West Dialysis3.51 miles away400 North Lindberg Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (314) 989-0886
- Fmc - Bridgeton3.6 miles away12380 Natural Bridge Rd Bridgeton Missouri 63044Dialysis Stations: 21 (314) 344-3020
- Fmc - Creve Coeur4.37 miles away555 N New Ballas #170 Saint Louis Missouri 63141CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (314) 872-9272
- Hazelwood Dialysis4.95 miles away637 Dunn Road #125 Hazelwood Missouri 63042CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 731-8039