Bensonhurst Center for Rehab and Healthcare is a large nursing home located in Brooklyn, New York. It looks like this is a very respectable facility. We gave it an overall grade of B, which is a respectable grade. We found this nursing home to be better than the majority of the nursing homes in Brooklyn, which has a city grade of B-. This facility's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection rating, which you can find in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Bensonhurst Center for Rehab and Healthcare
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Brooklyn senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Brooklyn, New York Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a strong facility overall, this place also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an A. Few nursing homes fared better in this category. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also strong in the area of long-term care, where it was awarded a score of B. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. When facilities receive this type of score in this category it is typically a good sign for patient care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 97.53086 percent of its residents, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly can be a life or death condition for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home doesn't leave this to chance. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Bensonhurst Center for Rehab and Healthcare?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was awarded a strong short-term care score as well. We awarded it one of our better grades in that category with a grade of B. Our short-term care ratings are important for residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a broad scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 5.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Turning to the next area, we awarded this facility a D in nursing. This was the nursing home's weakest category grade. Unfortunately, this category pulled down the nursing home's overall profile to some degree. Our nursing rating is based on the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We look at both the levels of training of those nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with residents. This place provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing grades. This facility fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bensonhurst Center for Rehab and Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bensonhurst Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 9.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bensonhurst Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 3.11% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bensonhurst Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 2.03% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents which suffered from urinary tract infections. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bensonhurst Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bensonhurst Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 13.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are typically prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bensonhurst Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 13.75% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bensonhurst Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 90.38% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bensonhurst Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 15.3% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating. Many would argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bensonhurst Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 14.12% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that maintained mobility. Many in the industry believe that mobility is critical to patients well-being.
In Bensonhurst Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bensonhurst Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 14.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bensonhurst Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 9.74 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bensonhurst Center for Rehab and Healthcare, 75.23% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Brooklyn, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Brooklyn, New York has 15 other nursing homes
- Maimonides Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.09 miles away4802 Tenth Avenue Brooklyn New York 11219Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 283-6000
- Coney Island Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.51 miles away2601 Ocean Parkway Brooklyn New York 11235Government - Local(718) 616-3000
- New York Community Hospital of Brooklyn, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 2.83 miles away2525 Kings Highway Brooklyn New York 11229Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 692-5302
- New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.31 miles away506 Sixth Street Brooklyn New York 11215Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 780-3000
- University Hospital of Brooklyn ( Downstate )Acute Care Hospitals 4.37 miles away445 Lenox Road Brooklyn New York 11203Government - State(718) 270-1000
- Kings County Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.48 miles away451 Clarkson Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Government - Local(718) 245-3901
- Staten Island University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.77 miles away475 Seaview Avenue Staten Island New York 10305Voluntary non-profit - Private(418) 226-9761
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- Davita Dyker Heights Dialysis Center0.47 miles away1435 86th Street Brooklyn New York 11228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 256-5800
- Dci Narrows Kidney Center1.52 miles away6520 Fort Hamilton Parkway Brooklyn New York 11219CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (718) 836-8444
- Rogosin Institute-Nephrology Foundation of Brooklyn South1.55 miles away1845 Mcdonald Avenue Brooklyn New York 11223CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (646) 317-0750
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.1.79 miles away730 64th Street Brooklyn New York 11220Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 759-0129
- Dialyze Direct Ny, LLC1.83 miles away4714 16th Avenue Brooklyn New York 11204Dialysis Stations: 1 (718) 506-1735
- Davita Borough Park Dialysis2.24 miles away4102 13th Avenue Brooklyn New York 11219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (718) 435-2112
- Davita Neomy Dialysis Center2.38 miles away1122 Coney Island Avenue Brooklyn New York 11230CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (718) 434-1444
- Davita Midwood Dialysis2.55 miles away1915 Ocean Avenue Dialysis Facility Brooklyn New York 11230CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (718) 258-7700