With an address in Fort Belvoir, Virginia, The Fairfax at Belvoir Woods is the sole nursing home we found in the area. This nursing home is a grade A facility, which is a very elite rating. Based on our assessment, this facility is simply as good as it gets. Keep reading to see this facility's category scores, which are also impressive. It's hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
The Fairfax at Belvoir Woods
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Virginia Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ short-term care grade. Short-term care grades are commonly used to measure a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to provide highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally must offer higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Adding to this nursing home's impressive resume, we gave this facility a grade of A for inspections. Our inspection scores weigh a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this category typically have few severe deficiencies. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about The Fairfax at Belvoir Woods?
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed is long-term care. Adding to its high-end profile, this nursing home also performed well in this category. In fact, we gave it a grade of of A in the area. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in this category typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are well cared for. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccines. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. This is a reliable method to avoid unnecessary hospitalizations for the elderly population. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
In the final category we scored, this facility received a very favorable grade of B+ in our nursing category. With this score, the facility finished off a first-rate report card. We analyzed the licensure of nurses employed by the nursing home, as well as the quantity of time the nurses worked with patients, in computing our score in this category. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Fairfax at Belvoir Woods Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Fairfax at Belvoir Woods, 8.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Fairfax at Belvoir Woods, 3.64% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term residents who suffered falls resulting in serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Fairfax at Belvoir Woods, 2.55% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Fairfax at Belvoir Woods, 13.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used for treating a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Fairfax at Belvoir Woods, 20.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Fairfax at Belvoir Woods, 3.63% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Fairfax at Belvoir Woods, 91.12% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Fairfax at Belvoir Woods, 16.48% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom. Some experts believe that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Fairfax at Belvoir Woods, 21.22% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term stay patients who were able to retain mobility. Some experts believe that mobility is vital to patients physical and mental well-being.
In The Fairfax at Belvoir Woods, 1.29 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Fairfax at Belvoir Woods, 21.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Fairfax at Belvoir Woods, 11.62 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Fairfax at Belvoir Woods, 75.54% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- Fort Belvoir Community HospitalAcute Care - Department of Defense 2.59 miles away9300 Dewitt Loop Fort Belvoir Virginia 22060Department of Defense(571) 231-3224
- Inova Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.57 miles away2501 Parkers Lane Alexandria Virginia 22306Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 664-7000
- Sentara Northern Virginia Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.35 miles away2300 Opitz Boulevard Woodbridge Virginia 22191Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 523-1000
- Inova Alexandria HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.22 miles away4320 Seminary Rd Alexandria Virginia 22304Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 504-3167
- Inova Fairfax HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.36 miles away3300 Gallows Road Falls Church Virginia 22042Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 776-4001
- Fort Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.76 miles away11711 Livingston Road Fort Washington Maryland 20744Voluntary non-profit - Other(301) 292-7000
- Virginia Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.91 miles away1701 North George Mason Drive Arlington Virginia 22205Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 558-5000
- United Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.11 miles away1310 Southern Avenue Se Washington District of Columbia 20032Proprietary(202) 574-6611
- Fmc - Lorton1.2 miles away8986 Lorton Station Blvd Ste 100 Lorton Virginia 22079Dialysis Stations: 12 (571) 642-0679
- Lee Dialysis1.32 miles away8520 Cinder Bed Rd Ste 200 Lorton Virginia 22079Dialysis Stations: 4 (703) 339-6050
- Lees Dialysis LLC2.05 miles away8520 Cinder Rd Suite 100 Lorton Virginia 22079Dialysis Stations: 17 (703) 339-6050
- Fmc - Fort Belvoir4.53 miles away8796 P Sacramento Dr Alexandria Virginia 22309CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (703) 360-4552
- Franconia Dialysis Center4.6 miles away5695 King Center Dr Ste 105 Alexandria Virginia 22315CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (703) 921-9506
- Somatus Dialysis of Mount Vernon6.58 miles away2501 Parkers Lane Suite 100 Alexandria Virginia 22306Dialysis Stations: 12 (703) 721-8075
- Cdc - Woodbridge6.65 miles away2751 Killarney Dr Woodbridge Virginia 22192CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (703) 897-7027
- Cdc - Springfield6.86 miles away8003 Forbes Place Suite 110 Springfield Virginia 22151CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (703) 321-7207