Belvoir Woods Health Care Center at the Fairfax is a small facility located in Fort Belvoir, Virginia. With an A overall grade, we ranked this facility in the top ten percentile of all nursing homes in the United States. This is really as good of a place as you're going to find. Headlining this place's remarkable profile is its short-term care rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Belvoir Woods Health Care Center at the Fairfax
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
9160 Belvoir Woods Pkwy,
Fort Belvoir VA 22060
60.53% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To pair with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. In determining our short-term care grades, we size up the facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. This rating is generally a useful assessment of the facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. This nursing home provides more services with physical therapists and registered nurses than most nursing homes we looked at. This is usually a favorable sign. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents that were able to return home from this facility. In addition to excelling in the area of physical therapy, we found that it performed as well as just about any facility with 69.8 percent of its residents returning home. Most facilities are below 50 percent in this statistic.
Turning to inspections, this nursing home excelled in that area, which is based on the facility's recent government inspections. We awarded it an A for that category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite minor. This place received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that CMS did not consider any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Belvoir Woods Health Care Center at the Fairfax?
Long-term Care Quality
We also would like to emphasize the fact that this nursing home received an elite score of A in our long-term care area. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. On top of providing elite levels of nursing care and other staffing, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. This statistic is also much higher than most nursing homes. Lastly, we looked at the nursing home's number of hospitalizations. With 1.97 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home was just about middle of the pack in this area.
In our final category, we gave this facility a grade of A for its nursing grade. This finished off a first-rate profile. In calculating a nursing home's nursing score, we look at the quantity of hours nurses are with residents and the level of licensure of the nurses. This particular nursing home provided 4.8 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This was one of the highest figures we found. Furthermore, we found that a significant portion of this care was provided by registered nurses, which are highly skilled nurses. These are both really impressive figures. In addition to looking at levels of nursing care, we also looked at a few quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these statistics as reliable measures of the caliber of nursing care being provided, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Belvoir Woods Health Care Center at the Fairfax Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Belvoir Woods Health Care Center at the Fairfax, 8.83% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Belvoir Woods Health Care Center at the Fairfax, 3.6% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . Major falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Belvoir Woods Health Care Center at the Fairfax, 2.65% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term patients who have experienced UTI's. UTI's may be an indication of lower quality nursing care. However, this statistic can be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Belvoir Woods Health Care Center at the Fairfax, 13.5% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term patients which were given antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically required. However, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Belvoir Woods Health Care Center at the Fairfax, 21.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Belvoir Woods Health Care Center at the Fairfax, 4.13% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients showing signs of depression. Increased levels of depression may be a sign a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Belvoir Woods Health Care Center at the Fairfax, 91.75% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Belvoir Woods Health Care Center at the Fairfax, 16.97% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
In Belvoir Woods Health Care Center at the Fairfax, 1.22 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Belvoir Woods Health Care Center at the Fairfax, 11.68 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Belvoir Woods Health Care Center at the Fairfax, 75.36% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements.
- Fort Belvoir Community HospitalAcute Care - Department of Defense 2.59 miles away9300 Dewitt Loop Fort Belvoir Virginia 22060Department of Defense(571) 231-3224
- Inova Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.57 miles away2501 Parkers Lane Alexandria Virginia 22306Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 664-7000
- Sentara Northern Virginia Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.35 miles away2300 Opitz Boulevard Woodbridge Virginia 22191Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 523-1000
- Inova Alexandria HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.22 miles away4320 Seminary Rd Alexandria Virginia 22304Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 504-3167
- Inova Fairfax HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.36 miles away3300 Gallows Road Falls Church Virginia 22042Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 776-4001
- Fort Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.76 miles away11711 Livingston Road Fort Washington Maryland 20744Voluntary non-profit - Other(301) 292-7000
- Virginia Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.91 miles away1701 North George Mason Drive Arlington Virginia 22205Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 558-5000
- United Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.11 miles away1310 Southern Avenue Se Washington District of Columbia 20032Proprietary(202) 574-6611
- Fmc - Lorton1.2 miles away8986 Lorton Station Blvd Ste 100 Lorton Virginia 22079Dialysis Stations: 12 (571) 642-0679
- Lee Dialysis1.32 miles away8520 Cinder Bed Rd Ste 200 Lorton Virginia 22079Dialysis Stations: 4 (703) 339-6050
- Lees Dialysis LLC2.05 miles away8520 Cinder Rd Suite 100 Lorton Virginia 22079Dialysis Stations: 17 (703) 339-6050
- Fmc - Fort Belvoir4.53 miles away8796 P Sacramento Dr Alexandria Virginia 22309CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (703) 360-4552
- Franconia Dialysis Center4.6 miles away5695 King Center Dr Ste 105 Alexandria Virginia 22315CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (703) 921-9506
- Somatus Dialysis of Mount Vernon6.58 miles away2501 Parkers Lane Suite 100 Alexandria Virginia 22306Dialysis Stations: 12 (703) 721-8075
- Cdc - Woodbridge6.65 miles away2751 Killarney Dr Woodbridge Virginia 22192CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (703) 897-7027
- Cdc - Springfield6.86 miles away8003 Forbes Place Suite 110 Springfield Virginia 22151CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (703) 321-7207