Belterra Health & Rehab is an average-sized nursing home in Mckinney, Texas. Featuring an overall score of F, we consider this to be a lower end nursing home. If you are not satisfied with this facility's rather poor overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are four other nursing homes in Mckinney. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's profile is its impressive inspection grade. You can continue reading to learn more about inspections and other category scores
Belterra Health & Rehab
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
2170 North Lake Forest Drive,
Mckinney TX 75071
90.58% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Although we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it actually received a relatively impressive government inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our more favorable grades in that area with a B. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite minor. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
We were also surprised to learn that this facility received a reasonably solid long-term care grade this year. We gave it a grade of C in this area. In our long-term care assessment, we look at the volume of services provided by a facility, as well as a series of qualitative measures. One of the datapoints we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 91.30435 percent of its residents. Unfortunately, this place's hospitalization rate was also below average. We found that this facility had 2.49 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Although this figure is somewhat concerning, this statistic can be skewed for some facilities due to the medical complexity of patients
Does this page answer your questions about Belterra Health & Rehab?
Short-term Care Quality
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our short-term care grade. This is not a very good score. In determining our short-term care grades, we look at a facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. This grade is typically a meaningful measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. Not surprisingly, we learned that this nursing home offers substantially less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the average nursing home. The last area we considered in this area is the number of patients that returned home from the nursing home. We found that it performed better in this area, with 57 percent of its residents returning home. This was just about this nursing home's only redeeming quality in this category.
This nursing home's worst area was nursing, which is the final category we assessed. For this category, we gave this facility a grade of D. There are a variety of criteria included in this grade. Most of these data points relate to nurse staffing. This nursing home averaged a meager 2.7 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. In addition to its weak nursing hours, this nursing home earned suboptimal marks in many of the quality-based metrics we considered in calculating our nursing ratings. We found that more of this nursing home's patients suffered falls which led to serious injury. We believe that many falls could be avoided with better nursing care. This statistic contributed to this nursing home receiving a terrible nursing grade.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Belterra Health & Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Belterra Health & Rehab, 7.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure measures the percent of long-term patients who are suffering from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Belterra Health & Rehab, 3.3% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Better nursing care reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Belterra Health & Rehab, 1.63% of Patients had UTIs
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term residents that experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric could also be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Belterra Health & Rehab, 11.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Belterra Health & Rehab, 22.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Belterra Health & Rehab, 4.7% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents showing signs of depression. High levels of depression could reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Belterra Health & Rehab, 95.06% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Belterra Health & Rehab, 17.37% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating. Some would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Belterra Health & Rehab, 17.98% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who maintained mobility. Many in the industry would argue that mobility is important for residents' physical and mental health.
In Belterra Health & Rehab, 1.58 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Belterra Health & Rehab, 17.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Belterra Health & Rehab, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Belterra Health & Rehab, 66.67% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts would argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Mckinney, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Mckinney, Texas has 4 other nursing homes
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center MckinneyAcute Care Hospitals 0.18 miles away5252 West University Drive Mckinney Texas 75071Voluntary non-profit - Private(469) 764-2200
- Methodist Mckinney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.05 miles away8000 W Eldorado Pkwy Bldg C Suite C Mckinney Texas 75070Proprietary(214) 491-5710
- Medical City MckinneyAcute Care Hospitals 4.87 miles away4500 Medical Center Drive Mckinney Texas 75069Proprietary(972) 547-8000
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital AllenAcute Care Hospitals 7.23 miles away1105 Central Expressway North Allen Texas 75013Government - Federal(972) 747-6197
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center - CentennialAcute Care Hospitals 8.94 miles away12505 Lebanon Road Frisco Texas 75035Voluntary non-profit - Other(972) 963-3333
- Childrens Medical Center PlanoChildrens 11.92 miles away7601 Preston Road Plano Texas 75024Voluntary non-profit - Private(214) 456-1792
- Baylor Medical Center at FriscoAcute Care Hospitals 12.13 miles away5601 Warren Parkway Frisco Texas 75034Proprietary(214) 618-2000
- Medical City PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 14.73 miles away3901 W 15th St Plano Texas 75075Proprietary(972) 596-6800
- Mckinney on 380 Dialysis0.36 miles away5329 West University Mckinney Texas 75071Dialysis Stations: 13 (214) 491-4263
- Fmc Dialysis Services of Mckinney2.92 miles away1831 Harroun Mckinney Texas 75069CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (972) 548-1511
- Ellsworth Dialysis LLC4.92 miles away4601 Medical Center Dr Ste G Mckinney Texas 75069Dialysis Stations: 17 (214) 945-1890
- Mckinney Dialysis4.93 miles away4717 Medical Center Drive Mckinney Texas 75069CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (972) 542-0495
- Dialysis Services of Allen7.25 miles away925 Exchange Parkway Allen Texas 75013Dialysis Stations: 16 (972) 908-2769
- Allen Dialysis8.41 miles away201 South Jupiter Road Allen Texas 75002Dialysis Stations: 21 (469) 342-6709
- Renal Center of Frisco9.65 miles away10850 Frisco St, Suite 300 Frisco Texas 75034Dialysis Stations: 21 (214) 872-2421
- Clough Dialysis, LLC9.68 miles away6116 Sports Village Rd. Frisco Texas 75033Dialysis Stations: 17 (469) 362-5763