With an address in Brookhaven, New York, Bellhaven Center for Rehab and Nursing Care is the lone facility we identified there. Sporting an overall rating of C, this appears to be a solid nursing home. This facility has a few things going for it. One of the highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection reports, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Bellhaven Center for Rehab and Nursing Care
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Brookhaven senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this nursing home received a decent overall score is its impeccable health inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our higher scores in that category, with a grade of A-. This is a notably better grade than the facility's overall grade, which was decent but certainly not elite. Inspection scores are tied to many datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this category have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate deficiency counts for this nursing home. We wish we had more data for this nursing home. Without having deficiency related data, it is challenging to assess this nursing home in this area.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's more favorable category scores came in the area of long-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a B+. It actually outpaced most nursing homes in this category. When nursing homes receive this kind of grade in long-term care it is typically a good sign for resident care and indicates that the facility is well-staffed with nurses aids. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 97.163994 percent of its residents, which is very impressive. Pneumonia can be a life or death health condition for nursing home patients so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't take any chances. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Bellhaven Center for Rehab and Nursing Care?
Moving on to another strength for this facility, it also received an elite nursing score. We gave this nursing home an D. The nursing grade consists of many factors, but the most important consideration is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This particular nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This statistic is far below the national average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This facility fared well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these statistics to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's weakest area was short-term care, which is the final area we analyzed. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F in this area. Even with a few decent scores in other areas, this grade is still disappointing so we wanted to make a note of it. In computing our short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This category is typically a useful measure of a facility's rehabilitation services. Given its grade in this area, we weren't stunned to discover that this nursing home was well below average in terms of the quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. Frankly, this was about what we expected here. The last statistic we considered in this area is the number of patients that eventually returned home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 5.1 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bellhaven Center for Rehab and Nursing Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bellhaven Center for Rehab and Nursing Care, 9.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents which have pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bellhaven Center for Rehab and Nursing Care, 3.11% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care residents who suffered falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bellhaven Center for Rehab and Nursing Care, 2.03% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bellhaven Center for Rehab and Nursing Care, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bellhaven Center for Rehab and Nursing Care, 13.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bellhaven Center for Rehab and Nursing Care, 13.75% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bellhaven Center for Rehab and Nursing Care, 90.38% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bellhaven Center for Rehab and Nursing Care, 15.3% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bellhaven Center for Rehab and Nursing Care, 14.12% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Bellhaven Center for Rehab and Nursing Care, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bellhaven Center for Rehab and Nursing Care, 14.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bellhaven Center for Rehab and Nursing Care, 9.74 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bellhaven Center for Rehab and Nursing Care, 75.23% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Long Island Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.34 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 654-7100
- John T Mather Memorial Hospital of Port JeffersonAcute Care Hospitals 13.02 miles away75 North Country Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 473-1320
- St Charles HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.74 miles away200 Belle Terre Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 474-6000
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.11 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.31 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- Peconic Bay Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.68 miles away1300 Roanoke Avenue Riverhead New York 11901Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 548-6000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 18.36 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.11 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Long Island Community Hospital2.33 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Dialysis Stations: 6 (631) 654-7160
- Long Island Community Hospital4.39 miles away109 West Main Street Dialysis Satellite Patchogue New York 11772CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 687-2828
- Davita Medford Kidney Center5.56 miles away1725 North Ocean Avenue Medford New York 11763CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (631) 289-8000
- Coram Dialysis Center9.88 miles away1500 Middle Country Road Centereach New York 11720Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 716-8758
- Fms-Central Suffolk Akc12.02 miles away5225 Nesconset Highway Unit #72 - Bldg.9 Port Jefferson Station New York 11776CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 331-5600
- Stony Brook Kidney Center, Dci12.1 miles away26 Research Way East Setauket New York 11733CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 444-0502
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.13.66 miles away200 Carleton Avenue East Islip New York 11730CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (631) 581-0897
- Hauppauge Dialysis Center14.87 miles away30 Central Avenue Hauppauge New York 11788CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 761-6605