Bellflower Post Acute is a small nursing home located in Bellflower, California. This turns out to be a solid facility, with an overall grade of B-. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Bellflower. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's profile is its strong nursing grade, which you can find in the next section.
Bellflower Post Acute
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a nursing grade which is better than its overall score. We gave this place an above average grade of B+ in this area. Our nursing rating features a host of factors. The most heavily weighted variable is the quantity of hours nurses spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we also wanted to note that this nursing home was given positive short-term care marks this year. We gave them one of our more favorable scores in that area, with a grade of B+. This turned out to be the nursing home's second highest score. Short-term care grades are commonly used to gauge a facility's performance with rehabilitation. To provide good rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must have higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. Unfortunately, we were not able to track down information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last metric we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Bellflower Post Acute?
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's higher category grades came in the area of long-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a B. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in this category tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are kept in good health. One of the statistics we considered after nursing hours is vaccines. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a proven method to minimize unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the elderly population. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
In the last area we looked at, we found that this facility received a solid inspection report this year as well, with few major dings from government inspectors. As a result, it earned a decent grade in inspections with a grade of B-. This facility didn't have any major weaknesses. Our inspection grades are tied to several data points found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these reports. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to patient safety. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bellflower Post Acute Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bellflower Post Acute, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bellflower Post Acute, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients who suffered falls which caused major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bellflower Post Acute, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percent of long-term patients that have suffered from a urinary tract infection. While a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bellflower Post Acute, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for many conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bellflower Post Acute, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term care residents that are administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bellflower Post Acute, 4.33% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bellflower Post Acute, 95.72% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bellflower Post Acute, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath. Some argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bellflower Post Acute, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term stay residents that remained mobile levels. Some experts argue that mobility is important for patients mental and physical well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bellflower Post Acute, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bellflower Post Acute, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bellflower Post Acute, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Bellflower, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Bellflower, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.59 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.02 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 4.22 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.97 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.07 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.32 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.64 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 7.75 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Davita-Artesia Home Training1.12 miles away16506 Lakewood Blvd, Suite 100 Bellflower California 90706Dialysis Stations: 8 (562) 920-4084
- Davita-Bellflower Dialysis Center1.23 miles away15736 Woodruff Avenue Bellflower California 90706CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (562) 804-3099
- Davita-Paramount Dialysis Center1.52 miles away15625 Lakewood Blvd. Paramount California 90723CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (562) 790-2478
- Davita-Nephron Dialysis1.68 miles away5820 Downey Avenue Long Beach California 90805CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 663-0788
- Fmc-Bellflower1.91 miles away10116 Rosecrans Avenue Bellflower California 90706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (562) 920-2070
- Davita-Lakewood Dialysis Center2.3 miles away4611 Silva Street Lakewood California 90712CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (562) 633-7441
- Davita Mayfair Dialysis2.6 miles away4930 Paramount Blvd Lakewood California 90712Dialysis Stations: 36 (424) 296-6870
- Davita-Cerritos Dialysis2.86 miles away19222 Pioneer Blvd., Suite 101 Cerritos California 90703CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 924-9990