Bellefontaine Gardens Nursing & Rehab is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Saint Louis, Missouri. Our grading system was not kind to this nursing home, as we gave it an overall rating of F. This facility didn't have much going for it. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category is inspections, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Bellefontaine Gardens Nursing & Rehab
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Bellefontaine Gardens Nursing & Rehab has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
This facility ended up receiving terrible scores in our assessment. Most alarmingly, it received an F for its inspection grade. Typically, this means we found some red flags on the facility's inspection reports. When a place has this poor of an inspection grade, you should expect some severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to resident safety. This nursing home had 5 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they created a threat to resident safety or health. Finally, CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
Unfortunately, we gave this facility an F for its nursing grade. Nursing scores are primarily associated with a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This facility fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Bellefontaine Gardens Nursing & Rehab?
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility received an F for its long-term care grade. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in long-term care likely don't provide the kind of consistent around the clock care that some other facilities offer. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. We were disappointed to learn that this facility vaccinated just 83.58209 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the last area, this facility really did not fare very well in this category either. Due to a rock bottom grade of F in short-term care, this is about as terrible as it gets. In computing our short-term care scores, we size up the facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This score is often a fair measure of the nursing home's rehabilitation services. With a grade in this range in this area, we were not surprised to discover that this facility was well below average in many staffing figures we assess. In fact, it supplied substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most other facilities. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 2.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bellefontaine Gardens Nursing & Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bellefontaine Gardens Nursing & Rehab, 9.32% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term residents who suffer from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bellefontaine Gardens Nursing & Rehab, 3.98% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bellefontaine Gardens Nursing & Rehab, 3.42% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bellefontaine Gardens Nursing & Rehab, 20.31% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used to treat several medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bellefontaine Gardens Nursing & Rehab, 24.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bellefontaine Gardens Nursing & Rehab, 4.11% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bellefontaine Gardens Nursing & Rehab, 88.89% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bellefontaine Gardens Nursing & Rehab, 14.76% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bellefontaine Gardens Nursing & Rehab, 15.81% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who remained mobile levels. Many argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' mental and physical health.
In Bellefontaine Gardens Nursing & Rehab, 1.64 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bellefontaine Gardens Nursing & Rehab, 15.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 47 other nursing homes
- Christian Hospital Northeast-NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 2.69 miles away11133 Dunn Road Saint Louis Missouri 63136Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 653-5000
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.06 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.02 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 8.53 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.69 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Ssm Health Depaul Hospital St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 11.13 miles away12303 Depaul Drive Bridgeton Missouri 63044Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 344-6000
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 13.14 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.64 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- Chambers Dialysis0.82 miles away10241 Lewis & Clark Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63136CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 868-5982
- North County Kidney Care Dialysis2.37 miles away1554 Sierra Vista Plz Saint Louis Missouri 63138CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 438-0864
- Westfall Dialysis2.8 miles away8029 W Florissant Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63136Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 382-2869
- Metro St Louis Dialysis Center, LLC3.11 miles away10160 W Florissant Saint Louis Missouri 63136Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 869-4978
- Fmc - St Louis Northeast3.27 miles away2840 Target Dr Saint Louis Missouri 63136Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 355-1322
- Florissant Dialysis3.62 miles away10887 W Florissant Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63136CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 524-5737
- North County Dialysis Center3.93 miles away272 Mayfair Drive Florissant Missouri 63033Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 859-1234
- Fresenius of Normandy4.02 miles away25 North Oaks Plaza Saint Louis Missouri 63121CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (314) 389-4105