Bella Vista Health Center is one of a mere two facilities located in Lemon Grove, California. This nursing home proved to be a middle of the road facility, with an overall grade of C. Based on our assessment, this nursing home would be a good fit for most people. One of the better aspects of this facility's report card is its strong inspection rating, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Bella Vista Health Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its decent overall score, we gave this facility a grade of A- for our inspections rating. This is far more impressive than its overall score. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that the government inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to be an imminent risk to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Short-term Care Quality
This facilities next best category is short-term care. We gave it a B- in this category. This is essentially a middle of the road grade in this category. Our short-term care grade is typically employed to grade a facility's rehabilitation services. To have high-end rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to have better levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. We found that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. It offered fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.4 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Bella Vista Health Center?
One of this facility's better category grades was in the area of nursing care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of C. The nursing grade assesses quite a few subcategories, however, the most important consideration is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a much lower figure than we were hoping for. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures. While this place got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in some of these quality-based measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared very well in this metric. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving a patient more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we scored is long-term care. We gave it a C in this category. This is a decent grade in this area. Long-term care scores are based on a nursing home's volume of care. This means a vast scope of personal care services, ranging from assistance with activities of daily living to routine medical services. One of the factors we considered after nurse's aid hours was vaccines. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. This place keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bella Vista Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bella Vista Health Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percent of long-term stay patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bella Vista Health Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls resulting in injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bella Vista Health Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents who experienced urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bella Vista Health Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used to treat several medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bella Vista Health Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are generally given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bella Vista Health Center, 4.33% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bella Vista Health Center, 95.72% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bella Vista Health Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bella Vista Health Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that retained mobility levels.
In Bella Vista Health Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bella Vista Health Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bella Vista Health Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bella Vista Health Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many believe that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.25 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.4 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.57 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 5.7 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 6.7 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.84 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away751 Medical Center Court Chula Vista California 91911Proprietary(619) 502-5800
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 8.16 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Davita-College Dialysis2.18 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College2.91 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise3.27 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Davita-San Diego East3.8 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center3.98 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Fmc-Raven4.85 miles away499 Raven Street San Diego California 92102Dialysis Stations: 31 (619) 263-1518
- Fmc-Gateway Dialysis Center-East5.21 miles away720 Gateway Center Drive, Suite B San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 264-4100
- Davita-San Diego South Dialysis5.32 miles away995 Gateway Center Way, Suite 101 San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (619) 262-1960