Bella Vista Health Center is one of a mere two facilities located in Lemon Grove, California. This nursing home proved to be a very respectable facility, with an overall grade of B. Based on our assessment, this nursing home looks like a good fit for most people. The best aspect of this facility's strong report card was its inspection reports. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph
Bella Vista Health Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
7922 Palm Street,
Lemon Grove CA 91945
100.6% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Best Nursing Home in Lemon Grove, California Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its favorable overall performance, we gave this place an A- for the area of inspections. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This means the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B. Our nursing rating is primarily based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of moving a resident more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Bella Vista Health Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our third area, this nursing home also earned a score of B for its short-term care rating. This is a well above average grade in this category. Our short-term care ratings are thought to be more critical for patients requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually mandates additional highly-skilled nursing services. This includes not only nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.2 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we rated was long-term care. We gave it a grade of B- in that area. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this area. Our long-term care grade is often used to assess a facility's performance as a traditional nursing home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services provided by a skilled nursing facility. After we finished looking at the volume of nursing care, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. We were pleased to discover that this facility vaccinates 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. This facility also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bella Vista Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bella Vista Health Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bella Vista Health Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that have had a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bella Vista Health Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term patients that had UTI's. UTI's may be an indication of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint can also be skewed for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bella Vista Health Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term residents which were administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bella Vista Health Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bella Vista Health Center, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percent of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bella Vista Health Center, 95.44% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bella Vista Health Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bella Vista Health Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who remained mobile levels.
In Bella Vista Health Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bella Vista Health Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bella Vista Health Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bella Vista Health Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.25 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.4 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.57 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 5.7 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 6.7 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.84 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away751 Medical Center Court Chula Vista California 91911Proprietary(619) 502-5800
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 8.16 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Davita-College Dialysis2.18 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College2.91 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise3.27 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Davita-San Diego East3.8 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center3.98 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Fmc-Raven4.85 miles away499 Raven Street San Diego California 92102Dialysis Stations: 31 (619) 263-1518
- Fmc-Gateway Dialysis Center-East5.21 miles away720 Gateway Center Drive, Suite B San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 264-4100
- Davita-San Diego South Dialysis5.32 miles away995 Gateway Center Way, Suite 101 San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (619) 262-1960