Bella Vista Health Center is the sole nursing home we found in Lemon Grove, California. This nursing home proved to be a highly rated facility, with an overall grade of B+. Based on our assessment, this nursing home looks like a good fit for most people. Scroll down to see this nursing home's category ratings, which are also impressive. It's hard to find any major flaws in this place's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Bella Vista Health Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Lemon Grove senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Lemon Grove, California Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a quality nursing home overall, this facility really excelled in nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few facilities performed better in this area. Nursing grades are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of turning patients even once per day.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was awarded impressive marks in the category of short-term care as well. Consequently, we awarded it one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A-. In the area of short-term care, we seek to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Bella Vista Health Center?
Turning to another of this nursing home's strengths, it also received a very impressive inspection rating. In fact, inspections proved to be one of its best grades. In that category, we gave this facility an impressive grade of B+. Inspection ratings are tied to several pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this area have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This place received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to resident safety or health. A couple relatively minor dings are not necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we graded is long-term care, in which this facility received a B. This nursing home ended up being very solid across the board. Facilities that excel in this category tend to provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia is too frequently a dangerous ailment for nursing home patients so we prefer when a nursing home does not take any chances. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bella Vista Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bella Vista Health Center, 5.48% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bella Vista Health Center, 1.46% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bella Vista Health Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bella Vista Health Center, 6.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bella Vista Health Center, 8.37% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bella Vista Health Center, 0% of Patients
This is the percent of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bella Vista Health Center, 98.25% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bella Vista Health Center, 11.39% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bella Vista Health Center, 15.27% of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who remained mobile levels.
In Bella Vista Health Center, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bella Vista Health Center, 15.27% of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bella Vista Health Center, 6.46% of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bella Vista Health Center, 63.01% of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.25 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.4 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.57 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 5.7 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 6.7 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.84 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away751 Medical Center Court Chula Vista California 91911Proprietary(619) 502-5800
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 8.16 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Davita-College Dialysis2.18 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College2.91 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise3.27 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Davita-San Diego East3.8 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center3.98 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Fmc-Raven4.85 miles away499 Raven Street San Diego California 92102Dialysis Stations: 31 (619) 263-1518
- Fmc-Gateway Dialysis Center-East5.21 miles away720 Gateway Center Drive, Suite B San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 264-4100
- Davita-San Diego South Dialysis5.32 miles away995 Gateway Center Way, Suite 101 San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (619) 262-1960