Bell Convalescent Hospital is an average-sized nursing home in Bell Gardens, California. Featuring an overall rating of C, this appears to be a solid facility. This facility has a few things working in its favor. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category is long-term care, which is discussed in the next section.
Bell Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
4900 E. Florence Ave,
Bell Gardens CA 90201
79.09% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's overall grade was propped up by a strong long-term care score. We gave them one of our better grades in that category, with a grade of B+. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. One of the statistics we considered after nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a proven method to minimize negative health outcomes for the nursing home population. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
We also awarded this facility a grade of B- for our inspections rating. This is more impressive than its overall grade. Inspection ratings are tied to several pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to the well being of residents. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Does this page answer your questions about Bell Convalescent Hospital?
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of C. The nursing rating features a variety of datapoints. The most important factor is the quantity of hours nurses spend with residents. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day, which is well below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. It performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we rated is short-term care. We gave this nursing home a C in that category. In calculating our short-term care scores, we scrutinize the facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This rating is considered to be a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services. In this nursing home's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than the typical facility. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually quite a bit below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bell Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bell Convalescent Hospital, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bell Convalescent Hospital, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bell Convalescent Hospital, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term care residents that suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indicator of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bell Convalescent Hospital, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used to treat a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bell Convalescent Hospital, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bell Convalescent Hospital, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bell Convalescent Hospital, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bell Convalescent Hospital, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Some argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bell Convalescent Hospital, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who maintained mobility. Some argue that mobility is vital to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Bell Convalescent Hospital, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to preserving the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bell Convalescent Hospital, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bell Convalescent Hospital, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Bell Gardens, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Bell Gardens, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 2.9 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.44 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 3.67 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.77 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.52 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.16 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.53 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 6.85 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- Davita-Premier Dialysis Center0.57 miles away7612 Atlantic Avenue Bell Gardens California 90201CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (323) 562-5511
- Satellite Healthcare South Gate1.55 miles away8716 Garfield Avenue, Suite 100 South Gate California 90280CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 674-2600
- Davita South Gate Dialysis1.9 miles away9848 Atlantic Avenue South Gate California 90280Dialysis Stations: 25 (323) 569-1035
- Davita-Imperial Care Dialysis Center2.62 miles away4345 E. Imperial Highway Lynwood California 90262CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (310) 900-0333
- Davita-Huntington Park Dialysis2.69 miles away5942 Rugby Avenue Huntington Park California 90255CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (323) 585-7605
- Davita-Kidney Dialysis Care Unit2.89 miles away3600 E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Lynwood California 90262CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (310) 886-5156
- Fmc-Rai-East Olympic-Los Angeles3.45 miles away5714 East Olympic Blvd. Los Angeles California 90022Dialysis Stations: 24 (323) 887-0841
- Davita-Iowa Street Dialysis3.5 miles away8333 Iowa Street, Suite 100 Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 923-5901