Belhaven Nursing & Rehab Center is a very-large nursing home located in Chicago, Illinois. Our rating scheme was not very kind to this facility, as it received an overall grade of F. Keep in mind that Chicago received a city grade of C, so should look at some other options in the city as well. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category is inspections, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Belhaven Nursing & Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: Belhaven Nursing & Rehab Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Chicago senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Sadly, we gave this nursing home some extremely bad category grades. This includes an F for its inspection score. This is a particularly important category. Scores in this range generally point to some red flags on the facility's inspection reports. With places that received this bad of an inspection rating, we would scrutinize the severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This particular facility was assessed 4 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they created a risk to patient safety or health. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
Unfortunately, we gave this facility an F for its nursing grade. Our nursing rating is mostly based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This place fared well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these statistics to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Belhaven Nursing & Rehab Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility wound up receiving a an abysmal score in our short-term care area. It received an F in this category. In the category of short-term care, we try to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. With a grade this poor for this area, we weren't surprised to discover this place was well below average in multiple staffing metrics we looked at. The facility offered significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most other facilities. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the next category, this facility really didn't perform well in this area either. Due to a very poor grade of F in long-term care, this is about as as uninspiring as it gets. Nursing homes that do not fare well in this category typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine personal care we assessed. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 49.38838 percent of its patients. This is significantly below what we expected. To our surprise, this nursing home actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Belhaven Nursing & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Belhaven Nursing & Rehab Center, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Belhaven Nursing & Rehab Center, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls resulting in injury are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Belhaven Nursing & Rehab Center, 2.49% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Belhaven Nursing & Rehab Center, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Belhaven Nursing & Rehab Center, 19.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who are given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Belhaven Nursing & Rehab Center, 31.81% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents showing symptoms of depression. Higher rates of depression could be a sign lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Belhaven Nursing & Rehab Center, 87.05% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Belhaven Nursing & Rehab Center, 13.3% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Belhaven Nursing & Rehab Center, 14.44% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care patients who were able to retain mobility. Many argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients mental and physical health.
In Belhaven Nursing & Rehab Center, 1.92 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Belhaven Nursing & Rehab Center, 14.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Belhaven Nursing & Rehab Center, 13.66 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Belhaven Nursing & Rehab Center, 69.52% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living generally correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 38 other nursing homes
- Little Company of Mary HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.5 miles away2800 W 95th St Evergreen Park Illinois 60805Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 422-6200
- Roseland Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.82 miles away45 W 111th Street Chicago Illinois 60628Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 995-3000
- Advocate Christ Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.63 miles away4440 W 95th Street Oak Lawn Illinois 60453Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 684-8000
- Ingalls Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.61 miles away1 Ingalls Drive Harvey Illinois 60426Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 333-2300
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.85 miles away2701 W 68th Street Chicago Illinois 60629Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 884-9000
- Advocate Trinity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.39 miles away2320 E 93rd St Chicago Illinois 60617Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 967-5002
- St Bernard HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.8 miles away326 W 64th St Chicago Illinois 60621Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 962-3900
- Jackson Park HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.89 miles away7531 S Stony Island Ave Chicago Illinois 60649Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 947-7500
- Dialysis Care Center - Beverly0.79 miles away10801 S Western Avenue, Suite 100 Chicago Illinois 60643Dialysis Stations: 14 (555) 555-5555
- Fmc - Blue Island Dialysis Center0.85 miles away12200 South Western Ave. Blue Island Illinois 60406CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (708) 597-9933
- Fmc - Merrionette Park1.21 miles away11630 South Kedzie Alsip Illinois 60803CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (708) 389-9099
- Davita - Mt Greenwood1.46 miles away3401 West 111th Street Chicago Illinois 60655CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 445-0558
- Davita - Washington Heights Dialysis2.11 miles away10620 S. Halsted Street Chicago Illinois 60628Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 779-8164
- Davita - Alsip Home Training2.16 miles away11500 S. Pulaski Road Alsip Illinois 60803Dialysis Stations: 4 (708) 385-7145
- Fmc - Beverly Ridge2.28 miles away9924 S. Vincennes Ave. Chicago Illinois 60643Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 239-4362
- Fmc - Roseland2.7 miles away132 W. 111th Street Chicago Illinois 60628CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 995-1783