Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center is in New Kensington, Pennsylvania, a city with a total of 38,785 people. This is a well below average facility, with an overall grade of D. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in New Kensington. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category was short-term care, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on New Kensington senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
While this facility's overall grade was not great, it surprisingly received a very good grade in our short-term care category. In fact, we gave it a B for that category, which is one of our better scores. This one of its few redeeming features. Short-term care grades are based on a facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a vast range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. This proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an B-. There are several datapoints included in this category. Many of the datapoints are tied to the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Lastly, while this place got dinged a bit for its nursing hours, it excelled in a few of our quality metrics. With less than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it did remarkably well in this statistic.
Does this page answer your questions about Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center?
This nursing home received slightly below average government inspections in recent years. We awarded them a C in this area. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors found on a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. This facility was hit with 5 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but none were category G through L deficiencies. This indicates it avoided the more significant classes of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our fourth category, this facility did not perform very well in this category either. With an abysmal grade of F in long-term care, this is really as terrible as it gets. For residents looking for a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are a key measure. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home provided the vaccine to 99 percent of its residents, which is a very respectable statistic. To our surprise, this nursing home also keeps its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 10.81% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 1.5% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term care residents which have suffered falls which resulted in serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 1.02% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 3.97% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Tragically, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 32.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically used to treat residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 0% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 98.62% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 8.76% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Many argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 20.14% of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who were able to retain mobility. Many believe that mobility is critical to residents' health.
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 20.14% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 12.98% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 75.11% of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements.
- Allegheny Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.38 miles away1301 Carlisle St Natrona Heights Pennsylvania 15065Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 224-5100
- Upmc EastAcute Care Hospitals 10.24 miles away2775 Mosside Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 357-3000
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 10.72 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- Forbes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.79 miles away2570 Haymaker Road Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 858-2000
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.88 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Upmc PassavantAcute Care Hospitals 14.64 miles away9100 Babcock Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 367-6700
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 15.38 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 15.54 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Dci of New Kensington2.05 miles away722 Fourth Avenue New Kensington Pennsylvania 15068Dialysis Stations: 20 (724) 339-1772
- Total Renal Care, Inc.2.09 miles away1 Kensington Square B New Kensington Pennsylvania 15068Dialysis Stations: 8 (724) 335-2876
- Davita Allegheny Valley Dialysis2.69 miles away1620 Pacific Avenue Heights Plaza Shopping Center Natrona Heights Pennsylvania 15065Dialysis Stations: 11 (724) 224-4382
- Davita - Harmarville Dialysis5.17 miles away791 Freeport Road Cheswick Pennsylvania 15024Dialysis Stations: 13 (724) 274-9281
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Harmar Village5.25 miles away725 Freeport Road Cheswick Pennsylvania 15024Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 823-5422
- Dci of Parks Bend8.94 miles away1143 Industrial Park Road Vandergrift Pennsylvania 15690Dialysis Stations: 19 (724) 845-3313
- Davita - Penn Hills Dialysis9.49 miles away202 Rodi Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (412) 371-1102
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Penn Hills9.61 miles away11624 Keleket Drive Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15235Dialysis Stations: 13 (412) 244-3931