Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center is in New Kensington, Pennsylvania, a city with a total of 38,785 people. Featuring an overall rating of C, this is likely a middle of the road facility. You can certainly do worse than this place. One of the highlights of this facility's profile is its strong inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was decent, it really fared well in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our best scores. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this area typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's higher category grades was in the area of short-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a B+. It actually performed better than most nursing homes in this area. Short-term care ratings are important for patients in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a broad range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.3 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center?
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of B-. We analyzed the levels of nurses employed by the facility, as well as the quantity of time the nurses worked with residents, in computing our rating in this category. This particular nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This figure is significantly below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics. While this facility got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in some of these quality metrics. With fewer than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it did well in this metric. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a policy of turning a patient more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we assessed is long-term care. It received a lowly F for this category, which is an abysmal score. This is clearly a major disappointment. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. After we finished assessing the volume of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. We were optimistic to find that this facility vaccinates 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term residents that suffer from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of long-term patients who have sustained a fall which resulted in major injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who had urinary tract infections. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term stay patients that were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are typically prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 3.23% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 88.5% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients who remained mobile levels.
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Allegheny Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.38 miles away1301 Carlisle St Natrona Heights Pennsylvania 15065Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 224-5100
- Upmc EastAcute Care Hospitals 10.24 miles away2775 Mosside Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 357-3000
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 10.72 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- Forbes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.79 miles away2570 Haymaker Road Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 858-2000
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.88 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Upmc PassavantAcute Care Hospitals 14.64 miles away9100 Babcock Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 367-6700
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 15.38 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 15.54 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Dci of New Kensington2.05 miles away722 Fourth Avenue New Kensington Pennsylvania 15068Dialysis Stations: 20 (724) 339-1772
- Total Renal Care, Inc.2.09 miles away1 Kensington Square B New Kensington Pennsylvania 15068Dialysis Stations: 8 (724) 335-2876
- Davita Allegheny Valley Dialysis2.69 miles away1620 Pacific Avenue Heights Plaza Shopping Center Natrona Heights Pennsylvania 15065Dialysis Stations: 11 (724) 224-4382
- Davita - Harmarville Dialysis5.17 miles away791 Freeport Road Cheswick Pennsylvania 15024Dialysis Stations: 13 (724) 274-9281
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Harmar Village5.25 miles away725 Freeport Road Cheswick Pennsylvania 15024Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 823-5422
- Dci of Parks Bend8.94 miles away1143 Industrial Park Road Vandergrift Pennsylvania 15690Dialysis Stations: 19 (724) 845-3313
- Davita - Penn Hills Dialysis9.49 miles away202 Rodi Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (412) 371-1102
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Penn Hills9.61 miles away11624 Keleket Drive Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15235Dialysis Stations: 13 (412) 244-3931