Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center is in New Kensington, Pennsylvania, a city with a total of 38,785 people. Featuring an overall rating of F, we consider this to be a lower end facility. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in New Kensington. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category was inspections, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
100 Little Road,
New Kensington PA 15068
68.54% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. Inspection scores are based on several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to patient safety. While this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This means CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
We were also stunned to discover that this nursing home received a decent short-term care score in our assessment. We awarded it a B- in that category. With our short-term care grade, we seek to craft a sound barometer for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we assess the facility's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. The real question is whether this also affected quality of care. The final datapoint we assessed in this area is the number of patients who eventually returned home from the facility. We found that just 5.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. This figure was below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center?
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our nursing rating. Our nursing score looks at the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We consider both the levels of training of the nurses and the quantity of hours spent with patients. This place offered just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing ratings. This place performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our last category, this nursing home didn't fare well in this category either. Due to a bottom of the barrel grade of F in long-term care, this is really as bad as it gets. For residents in need of a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is more than the vast majority of nursing homes. Surprisingly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Closer supervision can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term patients which suffered from urinary tract infections. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically used to treat residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 3.12% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 88.22% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Many argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who were able to retain mobility. Many believe that mobility is critical to residents' health.
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Belair Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements.
- Allegheny Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.38 miles away1301 Carlisle St Natrona Heights Pennsylvania 15065Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 224-5100
- Upmc EastAcute Care Hospitals 10.24 miles away2775 Mosside Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 357-3000
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 10.72 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- Forbes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.79 miles away2570 Haymaker Road Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 858-2000
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.88 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Upmc PassavantAcute Care Hospitals 14.64 miles away9100 Babcock Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 367-6700
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 15.38 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 15.54 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Dci of New Kensington2.05 miles away722 Fourth Avenue New Kensington Pennsylvania 15068Dialysis Stations: 20 (724) 339-1772
- Total Renal Care, Inc.2.09 miles away1 Kensington Square B New Kensington Pennsylvania 15068Dialysis Stations: 8 (724) 335-2876
- Davita Allegheny Valley Dialysis2.69 miles away1620 Pacific Avenue Heights Plaza Shopping Center Natrona Heights Pennsylvania 15065Dialysis Stations: 11 (724) 224-4382
- Davita - Harmarville Dialysis5.17 miles away791 Freeport Road Cheswick Pennsylvania 15024Dialysis Stations: 13 (724) 274-9281
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Harmar Village5.25 miles away725 Freeport Road Cheswick Pennsylvania 15024Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 823-5422
- Dci of Parks Bend8.94 miles away1143 Industrial Park Road Vandergrift Pennsylvania 15690Dialysis Stations: 19 (724) 845-3313
- Davita - Penn Hills Dialysis9.49 miles away202 Rodi Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (412) 371-1102
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Penn Hills9.61 miles away11624 Keleket Drive Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15235Dialysis Stations: 13 (412) 244-3931