Bel Vista Healthcare Center is a small nursing home located in Long Beach, California. With an overall rating of D, this is a subpar nursing home. As far as we can see, we would be very reluctant to recommend this nursing home. If you aren't deterred by this facility's report card, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category grades. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Bel Vista Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Long Beach senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't give this nursing home a good overall score, we actually gave it a relatively strong grade in the area of inspections, where it received a B+. Our inspection scores weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. You generally want to avoid nursing homes with a bunch of deficiencies flagged. This nursing home was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This tells you that CMS didn't consider any of these deficiencies to create an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second highest category was its short-term care grade, where it was awarded a B-. With our short-term care rating, we endeavor to forge a fair measure for rehabilitation services. In this process, we assess a nursing home's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. The critical question is whether this adversely affected quality of care. The last statistic we considered in this area is the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that just 5.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Bel Vista Healthcare Center?
We were stunned to find that this nursing home also excelled in the area of nursing. In fact, we awarded it an impressive grade of D for that category, which is one of our highest grades. The nursing rating weighs many datapoints, but the most important one is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This place offered just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This figure is significantly below the national average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This facility fared well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these datapoints to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed is long-term care, is this nursing home's least impressive category. We awarded this facility a D in that category. If you are seeking services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care grades. One of the statistics we considered after nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. Thankfully, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bel Vista Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 12.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric could also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 8.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term care residents that were given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to having more residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 1.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 32.26% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 100% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 1.59% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 5.53% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 5.53% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 8.22% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 81.95% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Long Beach, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Long Beach, California has 10 other nursing homes
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.95 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.79 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.12 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.44 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.5 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.17 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.82 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Huntington Beach HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.12 miles away17772 Beach Blvd Huntington Beach California 92647Proprietary(714) 843-5000
- u.s. Renal Care West Coast Dialysis1.83 miles away3780 Kilroy Airport Way, Suite 110 Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 989-3010
- Davita-El Dorado Dialysis2.12 miles away2977 Redondo Avenue Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 988-3418
- Davita-Long Beach Harbor (Ucla) Dialysis Center2.55 miles away1075 E. Pacific Coast Highway Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (562) 599-1511
- u.s. Renal Care Long Beach Dialysis2.86 miles away1045 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 108 Long Beach California 90813CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 435-3637
- Fmc-Long Beach3.69 miles away440 W. Ocean Blvd. Long Beach California 90802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 432-4444
- Long Beach Quest Dialysis Center3.81 miles away3140 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 988-8866
- Los Alamitos Hemodialysis Center4.15 miles away3810 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (562) 598-9527
- Davita-Los Alamitos Dialysis4.52 miles away4141 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 952-0175