Bel Vista Healthcare Center is a small nursing home located in Long Beach, California. With an overall rating of B, this is a fine facility. This facility definitely has plenty going for it. The best part of this nursing home's strong profile is its short-term care grade. We discuss short-term care in the next paragraph
Bel Vista Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home received a strong overall score as described above, but we especially wanted to note its excellent short-term care grade. We gave them an A- in this category. In computing our short-term care scores, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to create a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. It doesn't look like this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The final statistic we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 5.7 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
In addition, this nursing home received top notch government inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better grades in that category, with a grade of B+. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection grades. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively minor. While this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Bel Vista Healthcare Center?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B+. Nursing ratings are based largely on nurse staffing levels. This nursing home averages 0.8 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's least impressive area was long-term care, which is the final area we scored. In this category, we awarded this facility an D. For prospective residents looking for a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are a key measure. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this facility also fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bel Vista Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percent of long-term residents that suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents which had urinary tract infections. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents which were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 95.44% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing. Some experts argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bel Vista Healthcare Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Long Beach, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Long Beach, California has 25 other nursing homes
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.95 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.79 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.12 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.44 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.5 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.17 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.82 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Huntington Beach HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.12 miles away17772 Beach Blvd Huntington Beach California 92647Proprietary(714) 843-5000
- u.s. Renal Care West Coast Dialysis1.83 miles away3780 Kilroy Airport Way, Suite 110 Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 989-3010
- Davita-El Dorado Dialysis2.12 miles away2977 Redondo Avenue Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 988-3418
- Davita-Long Beach Harbor (Ucla) Dialysis Center2.55 miles away1075 E. Pacific Coast Highway Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (562) 599-1511
- u.s. Renal Care Long Beach Dialysis2.86 miles away1045 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 108 Long Beach California 90813CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 435-3637
- Fmc-Long Beach3.69 miles away440 W. Ocean Blvd. Long Beach California 90802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 432-4444
- Long Beach Quest Dialysis Center3.81 miles away3140 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 988-8866
- Los Alamitos Hemodialysis Center4.15 miles away3810 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (562) 598-9527
- Davita-Los Alamitos Dialysis4.52 miles away4141 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 952-0175