Bel Tooren Villa Convalescent is located in Bellflower, California, a city with 76,615 people. We gave it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack score. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Bellflower, which admittedly is admittedly a bit below average nationally. This facility didn't excel in every category we looked at, but it didn't receive any terrible grades either. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Bel Tooren Villa Convalescent
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Bellflower senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a nursing score which is stronger than its overall grade. We awarded this nursing home an above average grade of B+ in this area. When calculating a nursing home's nursing rating, we look at the amount of time nurses are caring for residents and the level of skill of the nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Surprisingly, this nursing home actually earned a good score in the area of inspections as well. We gave it a grade of B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. We believe that one of the most important factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially look at the severity of those deficiencies. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This means CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Does this page answer your questions about Bel Tooren Villa Convalescent?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we assessed is short-term care, where this facility was awarded a B- in this category. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze a facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. In this place's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than a typical facility. Finally, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we scored is long-term care, is this facility's least impressive category. We gave this facility a grade of D in this area. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Fortunately, this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients, which is an above average total. To our surprise, this place was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bel Tooren Villa Convalescent Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bel Tooren Villa Convalescent, 2.98% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bel Tooren Villa Convalescent, 0.78% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are routinely linked to poor nursing care. More supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bel Tooren Villa Convalescent, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bel Tooren Villa Convalescent, 6.67% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bel Tooren Villa Convalescent, 2.4% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are typically given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bel Tooren Villa Convalescent, 1.27% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression could be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bel Tooren Villa Convalescent, 100% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bel Tooren Villa Convalescent, 6.55% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Many in the industry believe this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bel Tooren Villa Convalescent, 5.08% of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Bel Tooren Villa Convalescent, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bel Tooren Villa Convalescent, 5.08% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bel Tooren Villa Convalescent, 10.99% of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bel Tooren Villa Convalescent, 73.73% of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's generally correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Bellflower, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Bellflower, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.27 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.39 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 3.89 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.64 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 7.1 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.94 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.95 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Davita-Bellflower Dialysis Center0.66 miles away15736 Woodruff Avenue Bellflower California 90706CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (562) 804-3099
- Fmc-Bellflower1.43 miles away10116 Rosecrans Avenue Bellflower California 90706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (562) 920-2070
- Davita-Artesia Home Training1.45 miles away16506 Lakewood Blvd, Suite 100 Bellflower California 90706Dialysis Stations: 8 (562) 920-4084
- Davita-Paramount Dialysis Center1.67 miles away15625 Lakewood Blvd. Paramount California 90723CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (562) 790-2478
- Davita-Nephron Dialysis2.36 miles away5820 Downey Avenue Long Beach California 90805CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 663-0788
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Downey2.59 miles awayCapd Department-Basement, 9333 E. Imperial Hwy Downey California 90242Dialysis Stations: 6 (562) 657-9170
- Davita-Cerritos Dialysis2.63 miles away19222 Pioneer Blvd., Suite 101 Cerritos California 90703CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 924-9990
- Davita-Lakewood Dialysis Center2.96 miles away4611 Silva Street Lakewood California 90712CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (562) 633-7441