Bel Pre Healthcare Center is just one of 14 possibilities in Silver Spring, Maryland. With an overall score of F, we consider this to be a very poor nursing home. Based on our assessment, you'd be better off to steer clear of this place. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Bel Pre Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Bel Pre Healthcare Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of B-. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. While this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
We were also stunned to find that this facility received a decent short-term care score this year. We gave it a grade of C in this category. In the area of short-term care, we try to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. The key is determining what effect this had on the quality of care. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually quite a bit below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Bel Pre Healthcare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the area of long-term care, this nursing home was awarded a grade of just D in this area. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
The next category we looked at was nursing. This facility was given a rock bottom grade of F in that category. Nursing ratings are based in large part on levels of nurse staffing. With only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day, this facility's nurse staffing levels were well below the national average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bel Pre Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bel Pre Healthcare Center, 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bel Pre Healthcare Center, 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bel Pre Healthcare Center, 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indicator of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this statistic can also be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bel Pre Healthcare Center, 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term patients which are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bel Pre Healthcare Center, 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bel Pre Healthcare Center, 10.18% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bel Pre Healthcare Center, 92.14% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bel Pre Healthcare Center, 19.83% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the erosion of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bel Pre Healthcare Center, 28.37% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that remained mobile levels. Many argue that mobility is critical to residents' physical and mental well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bel Pre Healthcare Center, 28.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bel Pre Healthcare Center, 8.93 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bel Pre Healthcare Center, 74.3% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many argue this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Silver Spring, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Silver Spring, Maryland has 13 other nursing homes
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.42 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.25 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.67 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 6.78 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.19 miles away8600 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda Maryland 20814Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 896-2576
- Adventist Healthcare Shady Grove Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.87 miles away9901 Medical Center Drive Rockville Maryland 20850Voluntary non-profit - Private(240) 826-6527
- University of Md Laurel Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.15 miles away7300 Van Dusen Road Laurel Maryland 20707Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 725-4300
- Sibley Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.24 miles away5255 Loughboro Rd Nw Washington District of Columbia 20016Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 537-4680
- Brownwood Dialysis LLC3.16 miles away5544 Norbeck Rd Rockville Maryland 20853CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 460-2090
- Renal Treatment Center - Wheaton3.22 miles awayWheaton Park Shopping Ctr 11941 Georgia Ave Silver Spring Maryland 20902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 949-9620
- Bma - Wheaton3.84 miles away10901b Georgia Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20902Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 933-1307
- Us Renal Care - Rockville4.38 miles away11800 a Nebel St Rockville Maryland 20852Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 468-3221
- Cadia Dialysis Springbrook4.82 miles away12325 New Hampshire Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 11 (301) 244-3028
- Fmc - Silver Spring4.82 miles away12120 Plum Orchard Rd Ste 140 Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 572-2484
- Bedell Dialysis, LLC4.82 miles away13875 Outlet Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 890-1504
- Bma - Rockville5.3 miles away7524 Standish Pl Ste 100-B Derwood Maryland 20855Dialysis Stations: 16 (301) 610-0711