Sterling Care Bel Air is located in Bel Air, Maryland. The city has a total of 63,810 people. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack grade. As far as we can see, this place should be a good fit for quite a few people. Finally, this facility had an ownership change in the last year, so we'll have to see if that has any effect on its grades in the coming year.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Sterling Care Bel Air
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Please note our records indicate that Sterling Care Bel Air has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
Get pricing and details on Bel Air senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We would like to point out that this facility's inspection rating exceeded its overall score. This facility earned a B in this area, which is one of our better grades. Inspection grades are based on several datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this category have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This facility was hit with 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that CMS did not consider any of these deficiencies to be an immediate risk to resident health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Short-term Care Quality
One of this nursing home's more respectable category scores was in the category of short-term care. This wound up being its second most favorable category. In that area, we awarded this facility a B-. With our short-term care rating, we endeavor to forge a valuable measure for rehabilitation. In doing so, we analyze the facility's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. We found that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. It supplied fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Sterling Care Bel Air?
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a decent grade in the category of long-term care, where it received a B-. Long-term care scores are based on the facility's quantity of nursing care. This includes a vast range of personal care services, ranging from assistance with activities of daily living to routine medical services. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 94.021736 percent of its residents, which is better than the majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The final area we scored was nursing. It received a lowly F for this category, which is a bottom of the barrel grade. This is clearly a significant concern. Our nursing score is mostly associated with the facility's level of nurse staffing. This place averaged just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This nursing home performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sterling Care Bel Air Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sterling Care Bel Air, 14.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sterling Care Bel Air, 3.26% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls leading to injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sterling Care Bel Air, 5.99% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sterling Care Bel Air, 8.77% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sterling Care Bel Air, 10.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sterling Care Bel Air, 6.7% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many in the industry would argue this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sterling Care Bel Air, 93.71% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sterling Care Bel Air, 14.92% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sterling Care Bel Air, 28.03% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Sterling Care Bel Air, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sterling Care Bel Air, 28.03% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sterling Care Bel Air, 10.78% of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sterling Care Bel Air, 66.91% of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Umd Upper Chesapeake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.04 miles away500 Upper Chesapeake Drive Bel Air Maryland 21014Voluntary non-profit - Other(443) 643-3303
- University of Md Harford Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.87 miles away501 South Union Avenue Havre De Grace Maryland 21078Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 643-3303
- Medstar Franklin Square Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.83 miles away9000 Franklin Square Drive Rosedale Maryland 21237Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 777-7850
- University of Md St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.92 miles away7601 Osler Drive Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 337-1000
- Medstar Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.12 miles away5601 Loch Raven Boulevard Baltimore Maryland 21239Voluntary non-profit - Other(443) 444-3902
- Greater Baltimore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.38 miles away6701 North Charles Street Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 849-2000
- Davita - Belair2.43 miles away2225 Old Emmorton Rd Ste 100 Bel Air Maryland 21015CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (410) 515-2078
- Forest Landing Dialysis3.89 miles away2220 Commerce Ave Ste 1 Forest Hill Maryland 21050Dialysis Stations: 24 (410) 638-6020
- Davita Edgewood Dialysis6.3 miles away1415 S. Mountain Rd Suite 105 Joppa Maryland 21085Dialysis Stations: 16 (410) 671-6059
- Aberdeen Dialysis7.81 miles away780 W Bel Air Ave Aberdeen Maryland 21001CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (410) 273-9333
- Fmc of Porter Dialysis - White Marsh12.97 miles away8013 Corporate Dr Ste K Nottingham Maryland 21236Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 931-2478
- Fmc of Porter Dialysis - Rosedale14.21 miles away5235 King Ave Suite 110 & 112 Rosedale Maryland 21237Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 918-0991
- Fresenius Kidney Care Nashua Court14.79 miles away3 Nashua Court Suite H Essex Maryland 21221Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 686-1279
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Cromwell15.11 miles away8710 Emge Rd Parkville Maryland 21234Dialysis Stations: 6 (410) 661-0801