Beechwood Homes is located in Getzville, New York. This nursing home received an overall grade of B+, which is very good grade. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top third of all facilities in the United States. This facility's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection grade, which you can find in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with a favorable overall score, we gave this facility an A+ for our inspection category. Our inspection scores weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this area usually have very few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to this nursing home's list of achievements, it also was awarded a first-rate short-term care score. We awarded them a dominant strong of A in this category. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last measure we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Beechwood Homes?
This nursing home's next best category was nursing. We awarded it a grade of B- in this category. While this wasn't quite as good as some of its other category grades, this isn't a bad score either. The nursing rating weighs a variety of subcategories. The most important factor is the number of hours nurses spent with residents. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This figure is significantly below the national average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics. While this place got docked a bit for nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of these quality metrics. With fewer than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it performed remarkably well in this area. This is typically an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of turning a patient at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed was long-term care. In this category, we awarded this facility a solid grade of B-. This actually is this nursing home's least impressive category. Long-term care grades are used to grade a nursing home's performance as a traditional nursing home, as opposed to focusing on the skilled nursing services provided by a rehabilitation facility. One of the statistics we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Thankfully, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 99.32705 percent of its residents. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Beechwood Homes Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Beechwood Homes, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Beechwood Homes, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Beechwood Homes, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint may also be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Beechwood Homes, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Beechwood Homes, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Beechwood Homes, 13.6% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing symptoms of depression. Higher rates of depression could be a sign a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Beechwood Homes, 91.89% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Beechwood Homes, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Beechwood Homes, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Beechwood Homes, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Beechwood Homes, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Beechwood Homes, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Beechwood Homes, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
- Kenmore Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.72 miles away2950 Elmwood Avenue Buffalo New York 14217Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 447-6100
- Erie County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away462 Grider Street Buffalo New York 14215Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 898-3936
- Sisters of Charity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.77 miles away2157 Main Street Buffalo New York 14214Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 862-1000
- Kaleida HealthAcute Care Hospitals 8.88 miles away100 High Street Buffalo New York 14210Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 859-8620
- Mercy Hospital of BuffaloAcute Care Hospitals 11.39 miles away565 Abbott Road Buffalo New York 14220Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 826-7000
- Western Ny Childrens Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 12.67 miles away1010 East & West Road Buffalo New York 14224Government - State(716) 677-7000
- Eastern Niagara HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.78 miles away521 East Avenue Lockport New York 14094Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 514-5700
- Niagara Falls Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.03 miles away621 Tenth Street Niagara Falls New York 14302Voluntary non-profit - Other(716) 278-4000
- Davita Suburban Dialysis1.43 miles away705 Maple Road Suite 600 Buffalo New York 14221CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (716) 630-6640
- Us Renal Care Williamsville Dialysis2.59 miles away7964 Transit Road, Suite 8-A Buffalo New York 14221Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 634-1841
- Us Renal Care Amherst Dialysis3.32 miles away2880, Sheridan Dr Tonawanda New York 14150Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 541-9165
- Pure Life Renal of Buffalo Inc.3.67 miles away6010 Main Street Buffalo New York 14221Dialysis Stations: 25 (716) 631-4700
- Us Renal Care Tonawanda Dialysis3.96 miles away3161 Eggert Road Tonawanda New York 14150CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 832-0159
- Davita Cleve Hill Dialysis Center4.85 miles away1461 Kensington Avenue Buffalo New York 14215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (716) 831-8892
- Davita Northtowns Dialysis Center5.15 miles away4041 Delaware Avenue Ste 150 Tonawanda New York 14150CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (716) 871-8103
- Fms-Kenmore Artificial Kidney Center6.18 miles away1508 Sheridan Drive Buffalo New York 14217CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (716) 871-9988