Bedford Court is a small nursing home in Silver Spring, Maryland. This nursing home was given world class overall score of A, outpacing many of the facilities in Silver Spring by quite a bit. In spite of Silver Spring offering 14 other nursing homes to select from, this facility managed to stand out as a fine option. The best aspect of this facility's strong report card was its short-term care rating. short-term care grades are discussed in the next section
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Silver Spring, Maryland Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to earning a great overall score, this nursing home received an A+ in our short-term care rating. In determining our short-term care grades, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to formulate a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of residents that were able to return home from this facility. We found that 6.7 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
This nursing home also received a nearly flawless government inspection. As a result, it received one of our highest scores in that category with an A+. This was one of the few places to receive multiple A+'s. Inspection grades are tied to many items located in the a nursing home's government inspections. Nursing homes that excel in this area typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Bedford Court?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also received a top-shelf long-term care score. This actually turned out to be this facility's third most impressive category score. In that area, this facility received a grade of A-. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to make sure patients are well cared for. One of the factors we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 91.08911 percent of its patients. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Turning to the last area, this facility was given an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we awarded it a B+ in that area, completing one of our more impressive report cards. Our nursing score assesses the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of training of the nurses and the amount of time spent with patients. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving residents even once per day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bedford Court Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bedford Court, 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bedford Court, 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term stay patients which experienced falls leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bedford Court, 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better nursing care can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bedford Court, 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents who were administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bedford Court, 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bedford Court, 10.18% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bedford Court, 92.14% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bedford Court, 19.83% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bedford Court, 28.37% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Bedford Court, 1.1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bedford Court, 28.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bedford Court, 8.93 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bedford Court, 74.3% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some would argue this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Silver Spring, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Silver Spring, Maryland has 13 other nursing homes
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.64 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.42 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Adventist Healthcare Shady Grove Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.75 miles away9901 Medical Center Drive Rockville Maryland 20850Voluntary non-profit - Private(240) 826-6527
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.09 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 7.37 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.67 miles away8600 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda Maryland 20814Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 896-2576
- Holy Cross Germantown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.27 miles away19801 Observation Drive Germantown Maryland 20876Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 557-6020
- University of Md Laurel Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.33 miles away7300 Van Dusen Road Laurel Maryland 20707Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 725-4300
- Brownwood Dialysis LLC2.12 miles away5544 Norbeck Rd Rockville Maryland 20853CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 460-2090
- Bma - Rockville3.87 miles away7524 Standish Pl Ste 100-B Derwood Maryland 20855Dialysis Stations: 16 (301) 610-0711
- Us Renal Care - Rockville4.24 miles away11800 a Nebel St Rockville Maryland 20852Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 468-3221
- Renal Treatment Center - Wheaton4.45 miles awayWheaton Park Shopping Ctr 11941 Georgia Ave Silver Spring Maryland 20902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 949-9620
- Bma - Wheaton4.93 miles away10901b Georgia Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20902Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 933-1307
- Advanced Dialysis Center - Rockville6.01 miles away299 Hurley Ave Rockville Maryland 20850Dialysis Stations: 9 (301) 838-9119
- Cadia Dialysis Springbrook6.25 miles away12325 New Hampshire Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 11 (301) 244-3028
- Fmc - Silver Spring6.26 miles away12120 Plum Orchard Rd Ste 140 Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 572-2484