Bedford Court Healthcare Cent. is a small facility in Silver Spring, Maryland. This facility appears to be ranked among the higher-graded nursing homes we assessed. A score of this caliber requires very strong marks across the board. Even in a city offering 14 other nursing homes, this one really stands out as a quality choice. This facility's strong report card was highlighted by its short-term care grade, which we will address in the next section.
Bedford Court Healthcare Cent.
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
3701 International Drive,
Silver Spring MD 20906
65.33% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ short-term care grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. In calculating these short-term care grades, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to formulate a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. This nursing home provided more physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most facilities. This is what we like to find when assessing a nursing home in this category. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that it outperformed the vast majority of nursing homes in the nation with 73.4 percent of its patients returning home. This is a significantly higher rate than most nursing homes.
This nursing home also received a nearly flawless inspection. As a result, it earned one of our highest scores in that category with an A+. This is one of the few nursing homes to receive multiple A+ category grades. Inspection ratings account for several factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this category usually have few of these severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This means the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Bedford Court Healthcare Cent.?
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. When determining our nursing ratings, we analyze both staffing levels and the training levels of those nurses. This nursing home provided 4.5 hours of nursing care per resident each day, which is among the highest figures in the country. A significant percentage of those hours were provided by registered nurses, which are one of the most highly skilled levels of nurses. We are very impressed by both of these figures. In addition to looking at levels of nursing care, we also looked at a few quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We view these statistics as predictive indicators of the caliber of nursing care provided, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our next area, this facility was given a respectable long-term care score. While this isn't as impressive as some of its other category grades, this is still not the end of the world. If you are seeking services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care scores. This facility's vaccination statistics lagged a bit behind a few of its other statistics in this category, such as its nursing hours data. It administered the pneumonia vaccine to just 90.38462 percent of its patients. We would love to see some improvement in this area next year. Nevertheless, this place keeps its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.77 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bedford Court Healthcare Cent. Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bedford Court Healthcare Cent., 10.37% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bedford Court Healthcare Cent., 2.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bedford Court Healthcare Cent., 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who have had UTI's. Although a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bedford Court Healthcare Cent., 13.07% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for many conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bedford Court Healthcare Cent., 14.7% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bedford Court Healthcare Cent., 9.93% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bedford Court Healthcare Cent., 92.59% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bedford Court Healthcare Cent., 19.84% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bedford Court Healthcare Cent., 30.1% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents that were able to retain mobility. Some argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' physical and mental health.
In Bedford Court Healthcare Cent., 0.99 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bedford Court Healthcare Cent., 30.1 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bedford Court Healthcare Cent., 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bedford Court Healthcare Cent., 73.71% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Silver Spring, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Silver Spring, Maryland has 13 other nursing homes
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.64 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.42 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Adventist Healthcare Shady Grove Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.75 miles away9901 Medical Center Drive Rockville Maryland 20850Voluntary non-profit - Private(240) 826-6527
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.09 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 7.37 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.67 miles away8600 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda Maryland 20814Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 896-2576
- Holy Cross Germantown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.27 miles away19801 Observation Drive Germantown Maryland 20876Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 557-6020
- University of Md Laurel Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.33 miles away7300 Van Dusen Road Laurel Maryland 20707Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 725-4300
- Brownwood Dialysis LLC2.12 miles away5544 Norbeck Rd Rockville Maryland 20853CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 460-2090
- Bma - Rockville3.87 miles away7524 Standish Pl Ste 100-B Derwood Maryland 20855Dialysis Stations: 16 (301) 610-0711
- Us Renal Care - Rockville4.24 miles away11800 a Nebel St Rockville Maryland 20852Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 468-3221
- Renal Treatment Center - Wheaton4.45 miles awayWheaton Park Shopping Ctr 11941 Georgia Ave Silver Spring Maryland 20902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 949-9620
- Bma - Wheaton4.93 miles away10901b Georgia Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20902Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 933-1307
- Advanced Dialysis Center - Rockville6.01 miles away299 Hurley Ave Rockville Maryland 20850Dialysis Stations: 9 (301) 838-9119
- Cadia Dialysis Springbrook6.25 miles away12325 New Hampshire Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 11 (301) 244-3028
- Fmc - Silver Spring6.26 miles away12120 Plum Orchard Rd Ste 140 Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 572-2484