Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation is a large nursing home located in Brooklyn, New York. This is a good nursing home with a B- overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Brooklyn. Even in a city with 40 nursing homes, this one looks like a fine choice. The best part of this place's profile was its remarkable inspection score. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its decent overall grade, we gave this facility an A+ for our inspections rating. This grade is far better than its overall rating. Inspection grades are based on items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this area have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more impressive category grades came in the category of long-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B+. It actually performed better than most facilities in this area. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. One of the statistics we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 96.208534 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a reliable method to avoid unnecessary deaths for the aged 65 and up population. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation?
Short-term Care Quality
As it turns out, this facility only earned a grade of D for its short-term care grade, which is not a very good score. Our short-term care grade is typically used to score a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation In order to offer highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. It looks like this place was subpar in the two key staffing metrics we focus on. The facility provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most facilities. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 4.6 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
The final area we analyzed is nursing. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D in nursing, rendering this the facility's worst category. Our nursing score assesses the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We consider both the levels of training of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with residents. This facility averaged only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is not a very impressive figure. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This nursing home fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents that experienced falls leading to severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint may be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for a variety of conditions, such as dementia. Tragically, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term residents who were administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 13.2% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. Increased levels of depression could imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 91.26% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care residents who were able to retain mobility. Many argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients health.
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to preserving the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Brooklyn, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Brooklyn, New York has 39 other nursing homes
- Woodhull Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.87 miles away760 Broadway Brooklyn New York 11206Government - Local(718) 963-8100
- Brooklyn Hospital Center - Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 1.24 miles away121 Dekalb Avenue Brooklyn New York 11201Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 250-8000
- Wyckoff Heights Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.14 miles away374 Stockholm Street Brooklyn New York 11237Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 963-7272
- New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.5 miles away506 Sixth Street Brooklyn New York 11215Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 780-3000
- Mount Sinai Beth IsraelAcute Care Hospitals 2.54 miles awayFirst Avenue at 16th Street New York New York 10003Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 420-2000
- Bellevue Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.91 miles away462 First Avenue New York New York 10016Government - Local(212) 562-4141
- Nyu Langone HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 3.04 miles away550 First Avenue New York New York 10016Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 263-7300
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.13 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- Davita Greenpoint Dialysis0.92 miles away146 Meserole Street Brooklyn New York 11206Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 388-6039
- Brooklyn Hospital Center1.23 miles away121 Dekalb Avenue Dialysis Unit-2w Brooklyn New York 11201Dialysis Stations: 10 (718) 250-8160
- Brooklyn Hospital Center Ii1.34 miles away19 Rockwell Pl Dialysis Unit Brooklyn New York 11217CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 260-2722
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.1.47 miles away1275 Bedford Avenue Brooklyn New York 11216CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (718) 623-0633
- Brooklyn Dialysis Center LLC1.51 miles away915 Dean Street Brooklyn New York 11238CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (347) 915-2140
- Fms-Nephrocare1.69 miles away1402 Atlantic Ave Brooklyn New York 11216CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (718) 771-6961
- Central Brooklyn Dialysis Center LLC1.98 miles away818 Sterling Place Brooklyn New York 11216CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (718) 735-6660
- New York Dialysis Services Inc.1.99 miles away595 Degraw Street Brooklyn New York 11217CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 49 (718) 852-0197