Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation is a large nursing home located in Brooklyn, New York. This facility received an above average overall score of B, resulting in it being ranked among the top five nursing homes in Brooklyn. Even in a city with 16 nursing homes, this nursing home turns out to be a fine option. This facility is stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any poor grades in any of our major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Brooklyn senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a quality overall score as described above, but we especially would like to point out its nearly flawless government inspections in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection ratings. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite insignificant. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given a favorable long-term care score as well. We gave it one of our better grades in that area with a grade of B+. Facilities that excel in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 95.10386 percent of its residents, which is higher than most nursing homes. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. This wasn't quite on par with some of its other category grades mentioned above. Our nursing grade focuses on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of licensure of those nurses as well as the number of hours spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.5 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this facility performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is generally a good indicator that a facility has quality controls in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our fourth category, this nursing home was awarded a C in short-term care, which is generally a decent score. Short-term care grades are typically employed to assess a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to have good rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must feature better levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we looked at in this area is the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that just 4.6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 9.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 3.11% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that suffered a fall which caused serious injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 2.03% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents that are given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 13.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 13.75% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 90.38% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 15.3% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 14.12% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that maintained mobility. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is important for patients mental and physical well-being.
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 14.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 9.74 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 75.23% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Brooklyn, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Brooklyn, New York has 15 other nursing homes
- Woodhull Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.87 miles away760 Broadway Brooklyn New York 11206Government - Local(718) 963-8100
- Brooklyn Hospital Center - Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 1.24 miles away121 Dekalb Avenue Brooklyn New York 11201Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 250-8000
- Wyckoff Heights Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.14 miles away374 Stockholm Street Brooklyn New York 11237Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 963-7272
- New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.5 miles away506 Sixth Street Brooklyn New York 11215Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 780-3000
- Mount Sinai Beth IsraelAcute Care Hospitals 2.54 miles awayFirst Avenue at 16th Street New York New York 10003Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 420-2000
- Bellevue Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.91 miles away462 First Avenue New York New York 10016Government - Local(212) 562-4141
- Nyu Langone HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 3.04 miles away550 First Avenue New York New York 10016Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 263-7300
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.13 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- Davita Greenpoint Dialysis0.92 miles away146 Meserole Street Brooklyn New York 11206Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 388-6039
- Brooklyn Hospital Center1.23 miles away121 Dekalb Avenue Dialysis Unit-2w Brooklyn New York 11201Dialysis Stations: 10 (718) 250-8160
- Brooklyn Hospital Center Ii1.34 miles away19 Rockwell Pl Dialysis Unit Brooklyn New York 11217CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 260-2722
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.1.47 miles away1275 Bedford Avenue Brooklyn New York 11216CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (718) 623-0633
- Brooklyn Dialysis Center LLC1.51 miles away915 Dean Street Brooklyn New York 11238CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (347) 915-2140
- Fms-Nephrocare1.69 miles away1402 Atlantic Ave Brooklyn New York 11216CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (718) 771-6961
- Central Brooklyn Dialysis Center LLC1.98 miles away818 Sterling Place Brooklyn New York 11216CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (718) 735-6660
- New York Dialysis Services Inc.1.99 miles away595 Degraw Street Brooklyn New York 11217CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 49 (718) 852-0197