Beaufont Health and Rehabilitation Center is located in Richmond, Virginia. This city is one of the most densely populated cities in the nation with has 364,141 people. With a rock bottom overall grade of F, this nursing home didn't fare well in our assessment. In our view, you'd be better off to steer clear of this nursing home. If you aren't deterred by this place's report card, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category scores. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Beaufont Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it an A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. It is typically best to avoid places that have too many deficiencies. While this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
Incredibly, we gave this facility a C for our short-term care score, which isn't too bad of a score. In computing our short-term care grades, we scrutinize a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This category is considered to be a meaningful measure of a facility's rehabilitation. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Beaufont Health and Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we graded is long-term care. This facility's was given an unfortunate long-term care grade where it was given an F. Nursing homes that do not fare well in long-term care typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in some of the areas of routine medical care we assessed. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. As it turns out, this facility vaccinated just 63.74502 percent of its patients, which is somewhat concerning. To our surprise, this place was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
The next area we scored is nursing, in which this facility was given a very poor score in this area as well. We gave it a lowly F in this category, which is definitely somewhat alarming. Our nursing grade analyzes the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We consider both the levels of skill of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with patients. This place averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is not a very impressive figure. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these metrics to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Beaufont Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Beaufont Health and Rehabilitation Center, 8.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Beaufont Health and Rehabilitation Center, 3.64% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Beaufont Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.55% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Beaufont Health and Rehabilitation Center, 13.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many medical conditions, such as dementia. Tragically, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Beaufont Health and Rehabilitation Center, 20.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly used to treat residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Beaufont Health and Rehabilitation Center, 3.63% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Beaufont Health and Rehabilitation Center, 91.12% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Beaufont Health and Rehabilitation Center, 16.48% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Beaufont Health and Rehabilitation Center, 21.22% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Beaufont Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.29 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Beaufont Health and Rehabilitation Center, 21.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Beaufont Health and Rehabilitation Center, 11.62 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Beaufont Health and Rehabilitation Center, 75.54% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many argue this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Richmond, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Richmond, Virginia has 9 other nursing homes
- Cjw Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.66 miles away7101 Jahnke Road Richmond Virginia 23235Proprietary(804) 320-3911
- Bon Secours St Marys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.49 miles away5801 Bremo Rd Richmond Virginia 23226Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 285-2011
- Henrico Doctors' HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.81 miles away1602 Skipwith Road Henrico Virginia 23229Voluntary non-profit - Other(804) 289-4500
- Bon Secours Richmond Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.95 miles away1500 N. 28th Street Richmond Virginia 23223Voluntary non-profit - Private(804) 225-1700
- Bon Secours St Francis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.86 miles away13710 St Francis Boulevard Midlothian Virginia 23114Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 594-7400
- Bon Secours Memorial Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.49 miles away8260 Atlee Road Mechanicsville Virginia 23116Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 764-6000
- John Randolph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.61 miles away411 West Randolph Road Hopewell Virginia 23860Proprietary(804) 541-1600
- Davita - Hioaks Dialysis0.44 miles away671 Hioaks Rd Ste A Richmond Virginia 23225CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (804) 272-0179
- Livingston Dialysis LLC2.28 miles away4900 Forest Hill Ave Richmond Virginia 23225CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (804) 230-3594
- Westhampton Dialysis Center LLC5 miles away5320 Patterson Avenue Richmond Virginia 23226Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 285-3394
- Hopkins Road Dialysis5.27 miles away5750 Hopkins Road Richmond Virginia 23234Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 275-8631
- Rai - West Leigh-Richmond5.47 miles away800 W Leigh Street Suite B Richmond Virginia 23220CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (804) 649-8070
- Total Renal Care - East End5.8 miles away2201 E Main St Richmond Virginia 23223Dialysis Stations: 6 (804) 643-3050
- Vcu Medical Center5.88 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 1200 E Marshall St Box 985904 Richmond Virginia 23298Dialysis Stations: 9 (804) 828-9224
- Fresenius Kidney Care Richmond South6.19 miles away5802 Jefferson Davis Hwy Richmond Virginia 23234Dialysis Stations: 13 (804) 271-4718