Bear Canyon Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home located in Albuquerque, New Mexico. This facility received an uninspiring overall grade of D, which is a relatively poor grade. We ranked this in the bottom half of nursing homes in Albuquerque. In a city with plenty of other facilities, you will probably be able to find an alternative. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, short-term care grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Bear Canyon Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
5123 Juan Tabo Boulevard Ne,
Albuquerque NM 87111
72.92% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Even though we did not rate this nursing home favorably overall, we want to draw your attention to its relatively favorable short-term care grade. We awarded it a B+ in this area, which was much better than its overall score. In determining our short-term care grades, we look at a facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This grade is often a useful assessment of a facility's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 5.8 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of B- for that category, which is not a bad score. In determining a nursing home's nursing grade, we assess the number of hours nurses are seeing patients and the level of skill of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. It performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Bear Canyon Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we assessed is long-term care, in which this facility received an F. For long-term care residents, the primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. One of the datapoints we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccines. Thankfully, this facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 95.249405 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Turning our last category of inspections, this nursing home received a grade that's as bad as it gets. For nursing homes with bad inspection grades, you should scrutinize any severe deficiencies found on their inspection reports. This facility was hit with 2 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they caused a risk to resident health or safety. Lastly, we also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this place received large government fines in recent years of over $100,000. This usually indicates that a nursing home's poor performance has been an issue for multiple years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bear Canyon Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bear Canyon Rehabilitation Center, 8.5% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care patients which have pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bear Canyon Rehabilitation Center, 3.08% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term residents who have suffered a fall which caused major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bear Canyon Rehabilitation Center, 1.47% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents which have experienced urinary tract infections. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bear Canyon Rehabilitation Center, 16.78% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bear Canyon Rehabilitation Center, 13.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bear Canyon Rehabilitation Center, 3.19% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bear Canyon Rehabilitation Center, 88.36% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bear Canyon Rehabilitation Center, 16.72% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bear Canyon Rehabilitation Center, 18.98% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients that maintained mobility. Some experts believe that mobility is critical to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Bear Canyon Rehabilitation Center, 1.28 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bear Canyon Rehabilitation Center, 18.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bear Canyon Rehabilitation Center, 15.18 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bear Canyon Rehabilitation Center, 65.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Albuquerque, NM
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Albuquerque, New Mexico has 17 other nursing homes
- Lovelace Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.26 miles away4701 Montgomery Boulevard Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87109Government - State(505) 727-7805
- Unm HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.78 miles away2211 Lomas Boulevard Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87106Voluntary non-profit - Other(505) 272-2111
- Presbyterian HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.75 miles away1100 Central Avenue Se Albuquerque New Mexico 87106Voluntary non-profit - Private(505) 724-8386
- Lovelace Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.9 miles away601 Dr Martin Luther King Jr Ave Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87102Voluntary non-profit - Private(505) 727-8000
- Lovelace Westside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.18 miles away10501 Golf Course Road Nw Albuquerque New Mexico 87114Proprietary(505) 727-2001
- Unm Sandoval Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.72 miles away3001 Broadmoor Blvd Ne Rio Rancho New Mexico 87144Voluntary non-profit - Private(505) 994-7402
- Albuquerque Kidney Center (Fmc)3.72 miles away11296 Lomas Blvd Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87112CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (505) 298-5557
- North Albuquerque Dialysis Center (Fmc)3.88 miles away5200 San Mateo Blvd Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87109CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (505) 883-7599
- Del Norte Dialysis3.96 miles away5201 San Mateo Blvd Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87109Dialysis Stations: 17 (505) 884-4820
- Liberty Albuquerque Dialysis (Fmc)4.04 miles away3810 Commons Ave Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87109Dialysis Stations: 19 (505) 345-1224
- Sandia Peak Dialysis4.26 miles away10410 Copper Pointe Way Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87123Dialysis Stations: 12 (505) 299-0657
- Albuquerque East (Dci)4.61 miles away905 Louisiana Blvd Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87110CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (505) 254-1800
- Gibson Dialysis Center (Fmc)6.78 miles away5400 Gibson Blvd Se Ssuite 100 Albuquerque New Mexico 87108Dialysis Stations: 25 (505) 255-0111
- Albuquerque Dialysis (Dci)6.97 miles away1500 Indian School Rd Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87102CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (505) 724-1500