Beacon Rehabilitation and Nursing Center is a facility located in Rockaway Park, New York, a city with 20,408 people. We gave this facility an overall grade of C. A score of this caliber requires some respectable marks. With no A rated nursing homes in the city, this is actually the best nursing home in Rockaway Park. The best part of this facility's report card was its stellar inspection score. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Beacon Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
140 Beach 113th Street,
Rockaway Park NY 11694
87.91% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
We want to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home really outperformed its overall score in the area of inspections. In fact, it received an excellent government inspection report this year. As a result, we gave it one of our best grades in this category with a grade of A+. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this area most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. This is a great sign for this facility.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a positive score in long-term care. This nursing home received a grade of B in this category, which turns out to be one of our better scores. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 98.81306 percent of its patients, which is more than most nursing homes. The last datapoint we looked at is its hospitalization rate. Here we found that this place had 1.81 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is middle of the road in this area.
Does this page answer your questions about Beacon Rehabilitation and Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second lowest category is short-term care, where it received just a D in that area. This is a well below average grade. In our short-term care rating, we endeavor to create a sound gauge for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we look at a nursing home's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. The last statistic we assessed in this category is the number of patients who were able to return home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area, with just 39.5 percent of its patients returning home. Unfortunately, this was well below the national average.
This nursing home's least impressive area was nursing, which is the final area we looked at. In this category, we awarded this nursing home a D. The nursing score analyzes several subcategories, most of which are associated with levels of nurse staffing. This place averaged just 3.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is not a very impressive figure. Unfortunately, this place also had terrible marks in some of the quality-based metrics to pair with its low nursing hour totals. We looked at the percent of residents suffering pressure ulcers and we were disappointed. This facility was at roughly 1.5 times the national average in this statistic. This is likely a bad sign in light of the fact that many pressure ulcers could be avoided with better nursing care. This metric helped pull down this facility's nursing rating significantly.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Beacon Rehabilitation and Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Beacon Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 9.64% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Beacon Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay residents which have sustained a fall which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Beacon Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 2.09% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric can be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Beacon Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 11.62% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for several conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Beacon Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Beacon Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 13.02% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Beacon Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 92.45% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Beacon Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 14.69% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Beacon Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 18.9% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Beacon Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Beacon Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 18.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Beacon Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 8.78 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Beacon Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- St John's Episcopal Hospital at South ShoreAcute Care Hospitals 4.45 miles away327 Beach 19th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Voluntary non-profit - Church(718) 869-7000
- New York Community Hospital of Brooklyn, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away2525 Kings Highway Brooklyn New York 11229Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 692-5302
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.59 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Coney Island Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.88 miles away2601 Ocean Parkway Brooklyn New York 11235Government - Local(718) 616-3000
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.53 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- University Hospital of Brooklyn ( Downstate )Acute Care Hospitals 7.72 miles away445 Lenox Road Brooklyn New York 11203Government - State(718) 270-1000
- Kings County Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.74 miles away451 Clarkson Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Government - Local(718) 245-3901
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.59 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Marjorie Basser Dialysis Center4.41 miles awaySt. John's Episcopal Hospital 327 Beach 19th Street, Dialysis Unit Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 869-7637
- Rockaway Hd LLC4.43 miles away529 Beach 20th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 327-4503
- Peninsula Continuum Services LLC4.87 miles away50-15 Beach Channel Drive Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 734-2190
- Davita South Brooklyn Nephrology Center5 miles away3915 Avenue v, Suite 104 Brooklyn New York 11234CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (718) 252-8440
- Four Seasons Dialysis Center LLC.5.52 miles away1170 East 98th Street Brooklyn New York 11236CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 223-2100
- New York Akc, Inc5.56 miles away2701 Emmons Avenue Brooklyn New York 11235CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 62 (718) 769-4100
- Rogosin Institute-Nephrology Foundation of Brooklyn East6.29 miles away2372 Linden Boulevard Brooklyn New York 11208CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (646) 317-0720
- Davita Sheephead Bay Renal Care Center6.38 miles away26 Brighton 11th Street Brooklyn New York 11235CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 743-5955