Beacon Healthcare Center is a nursing home in West Covina, California, which has 108,175 people. With an overall grade of B, this is a good facility. This turned out to be better than many of the facilities in West Covina. Fortunately, this place did not have any weak links in any of the major categories. More information about these categories is available below.
Beacon Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this facility performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A-. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place received 9 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to resident safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Adding to its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home an B+ for our nursing rating. Nursing grades are primarily tied to the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Beacon Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the third area, this nursing home also earned a grade of B for its short-term care rating. This is a well above average grade in this area. Our short-term care ratings are considered to be more meaningful for patients requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally requires additional skilled nursing services. This means not merely nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last statistic we assessed in this category is the number of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 4.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we scored was long-term care. We awarded it a C in this category. This is not a bad grade in this category. For residents looking for a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Thankfully, this nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is a very respectable figure. Finally, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Beacon Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often linked to poor nursing care. Closer supervision can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 4.33% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 95.72% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the decline of a patient's medical condition.
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's typically correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for West Covina, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? West Covina, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.33 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.73 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 7.12 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.89 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.1 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 10.35 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.44 miles away1798 N Garey Ave Pomona California 91767Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 865-9500
- Davita-Covina Dialysis Center0.97 miles away1547 W. Garvey Avenue North West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 960-9404
- Fmc-West Covina Kidney Center1.14 miles away1540 W. Covina Parkway West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 337-8007
- Advanced Dialysis Center1.24 miles away3932 Downing Avenue Baldwin Park California 91706Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 856-3333
- Fmc-Irwindale1.45 miles away12711 Ramona Blvd., Suite 111 Baldwin Park California 91706CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 856-3944
- Queens Dialysis Unit, Inc.1.75 miles away1135 S. Sunset Avenue, Suite 103 West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 337-4245
- Citrus Dialysis Center2.39 miles away315 N. Third Avenue, Suite 104 Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (626) 331-0133
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Covina2.43 miles away158 W. College Street Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 859-2522
- Azusa Dialysis Center, LLC3.19 miles away312 N. Azusa Avenue Azusa California 91702Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 633-1500