Beacon Healthcare Center is a nursing home in West Covina, California, which has 108,175 people. With an overall grade of B-, this is a decent facility. Based on our ratings, there are certainly much worse facilities out there. We were also pleased to find that this place received consistently decent grades in each of the major categories. More information about these categories is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Beacon Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on West Covina senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this facility really outperformed its overall grade in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, we gave it one of our best scores in that area with an A-. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was hit with 9 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to create an imminent risk to resident safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we also wanted to note that this facility was given strong short-term care marks this year. We awarded them one of our more impressive grades in that area, with a B. This turned out to be the nursing home's second strongest grade. In our short-term care assessment, we endeavor to create a sound barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we assess the facility's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. It doesn't look like this facility provided registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Beacon Healthcare Center?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing grade. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B in that category, which is one of our better scores. There are a variety of subcategories within this area. Many of the subcategories relate to staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we analyzed is long-term care. We awarded this nursing home a C in this category. For long-term care residents, the nursing home's primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. We were pleased to discover that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. This place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Beacon Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 12.5% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who sustained urinary tract infections. While a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 1.52% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term residents that were administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some facilities need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 11.94% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients which were administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 3.28% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients showing symptoms of depression. Some would argue this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 100% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 2% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 0.04 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 4.36% of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 90.65% of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's typically correlates with better rehabilitation services.
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.33 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.73 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 7.12 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.89 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.1 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 10.35 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.44 miles away1798 N Garey Ave Pomona California 91767Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 865-9500
- Davita-Covina Dialysis Center0.97 miles away1547 W. Garvey Avenue North West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 960-9404
- Fmc-West Covina Kidney Center1.14 miles away1540 W. Covina Parkway West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 337-8007
- Advanced Dialysis Center1.24 miles away3932 Downing Avenue Baldwin Park California 91706Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 856-3333
- Fmc-Irwindale1.45 miles away12711 Ramona Blvd., Suite 111 Baldwin Park California 91706CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 856-3944
- Queens Dialysis Unit, Inc.1.75 miles away1135 S. Sunset Avenue, Suite 103 West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 337-4245
- Citrus Dialysis Center2.39 miles away315 N. Third Avenue, Suite 104 Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (626) 331-0133
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Covina2.43 miles away158 W. College Street Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 859-2522
- Azusa Dialysis Center, LLC3.19 miles away312 N. Azusa Avenue Azusa California 91702Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 633-1500