Beacon Healthcare Center is a nursing home in West Covina, California, which has 108,175 people. With an overall grade of B, this is a good facility. If you take a look at the other options in West Covina, we suspect you will find this facility to be a better option than most facilities in the city. Fortunately, this place did not have any weak links in any of the major categories. More information about these categories is available below.
Beacon Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
919 N Sunset Ave,
West Covina CA 91790
70.92% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this facility performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A-. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place received 9 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to resident safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Another quality feature for this nursing home is that it received an impressive short-term care score. In fact, this proved to be its second best category score. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of B+. Short-term care grades are often used to measure a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to provide highly graded rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must offer better levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final datapoint we assessed in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 5.1 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Beacon Healthcare Center?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B in this area. There are a variety of subcategories within this area. Many of the subcategories relate to staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we analyzed is long-term care. We awarded this nursing home a B- in this category. For long-term care residents, the nursing home's primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. We were pleased to discover that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. This place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Beacon Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who sustained urinary tract infections. While a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term residents that were administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some facilities need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients which were administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 4.64% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients showing symptoms of depression. Some would argue this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Beacon Healthcare Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's typically correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for West Covina, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? West Covina, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.33 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.73 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 7.12 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.89 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.1 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 10.35 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.44 miles away1798 N Garey Ave Pomona California 91767Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 865-9500
- Davita-Covina Dialysis Center0.97 miles away1547 W. Garvey Avenue North West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 960-9404
- Fmc-West Covina Kidney Center1.14 miles away1540 W. Covina Parkway West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 337-8007
- Advanced Dialysis Center1.24 miles away3932 Downing Avenue Baldwin Park California 91706Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 856-3333
- Fmc-Irwindale1.45 miles away12711 Ramona Blvd., Suite 111 Baldwin Park California 91706CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 856-3944
- Queens Dialysis Unit, Inc.1.75 miles away1135 S. Sunset Avenue, Suite 103 West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 337-4245
- Citrus Dialysis Center2.39 miles away315 N. Third Avenue, Suite 104 Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (626) 331-0133
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Covina2.43 miles away158 W. College Street Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 859-2522
- Azusa Dialysis Center, LLC3.19 miles away312 N. Azusa Avenue Azusa California 91702Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 633-1500