Beacon Health Center is a large nursing home located in Chicago, Illinois. With a really poor overall grade of F, this facility didn't fare well in our assessment. Fortunately, if you aren't impressed with this facility, there are countless other options available in this city. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss short-term care in the next section.
Beacon Health Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Please note our records indicate that Beacon Health Center has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We really were not high on this facility's overall grade or its category scores. We gave it a D for our short-term care rating and that sadly proved be its best grade. Our short-term care grades are believed to be most meaningful for those requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically requires higher levels of skilled nursing. This includes not just nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Not surprisingly, we discovered that this place provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than a typical nursing home. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 4.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
This nursing home's next best category was inspections. Nevertheless, with just a D in this category, it still performed relatively poorly. Our inspection scores weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. You should be especially cautious when considering a nursing home that has severe deficiencies on a recent inspection report. This facility was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they posed a risk to patient health or safety. Lastly, we want to point out that this place received significant government fines of over $50,000. This typically signifies that inspectors became fed up after several years of bad health inspections.
Does this page answer your questions about Beacon Health Center?
We also wanted to draw your attention to this facility's poor nursing grade where it received an F. Our nursing score focuses on the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We consider both the levels of licensure of the nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with residents. This facility offered just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This facility fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we graded was long-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it an F in this category, which is a poor grade. Facilities that do not score well in long-term care often don't provide as much nursing care and also may be struggling in some of the areas of routine medical care we looked at. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. We were disappointed to learn that this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 75.655426 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Beacon Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Beacon Health Center, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Beacon Health Center, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Beacon Health Center, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term stay patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. While a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Beacon Health Center, 18.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications are used for several medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Beacon Health Center, 19.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Beacon Health Center, 29.8% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Beacon Health Center, 87.49% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Beacon Health Center, 14.23% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Beacon Health Center, 19.34% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Beacon Health Center, 19.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Beacon Health Center, 11.45 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Beacon Health Center, 71.39% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's usually correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 80 other nursing homes
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 0.7 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.77 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 0.81 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.96 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.94 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.06 miles away836 West Wellington Avenue Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 975-1600
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 2.55 miles away2900 North Lake Shore Drive Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 665-3000
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.24 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Fmc - Na Lakeview Dialysis0.37 miles away4008 North Broadway Ave., Suite 1200 Chicago Illinois 60613Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 248-3105
- Fmc - Uptown0.75 miles away4700 N. Marine Drive, Suite 204 Chicago Illinois 60640CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 989-8082
- Fmc - Northcenter Dialysis2.01 miles away2620 W. Addison St. Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 248-0462
- Nephron Dialysis Center, Ltd.2.05 miles away5140 N. California Ave. Suite 510 Chicago Illinois 60625Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 293-2100
- Davita - Lincoln Park Nephrology Assn, Sc2.8 miles away2484 N. Elston Ave Chicago Illinois 60647CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (773) 278-4403
- Davita Irving Park Dialysis3.3 miles away4323 N Pulaski Road Chicago Illinois 60641Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 279-8714
- Davita - Logan Square Dialysis Svcs Inc3.35 miles away2838 N Kimball Ave Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (773) 342-3738
- Fmc - Logan Square3.39 miles away2721 N Spaulding Chicago Illinois 60647Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 292-2971