With an address in Huntington Beach, California, Beachside Nursing Center is one of a mere three available nursing homes in this city. This facility appears to be among the more impressive nursing homes we looked at. A score in this range requires high-end marks across the board. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top 25 percent of all facilities in the United States. This facility also received very consistent ratings in all of the major categories we assessed. More information about its category grades is available below.
Beachside Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being an elite facility overall, this nursing home also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of A+. Few facilities fared this well in this area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being relatively insignificant. While this facility had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A few relatively minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was elite in the area of short-term care, where it received a score of A. Few facilities fared better in this category. Short-term care grades are important for people looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a wide range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. We weren't able to track down registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. The last statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 7.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Beachside Nursing Center?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. Our nursing rating is largely tied to the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving residents more often.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we graded was long-term care. We awarded this facility one of our higher scores in that category, with a B. Although this was not on par with a few of this nursing home's other grades, it is nevertheless a perfectly acceptable score. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are well cared for. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents, which is far higher than most nursing homes. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Beachside Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Beachside Nursing Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Beachside Nursing Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Beachside Nursing Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with facilities with worst hygiene practices. More frequent bathing can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Beachside Nursing Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Beachside Nursing Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Beachside Nursing Center, 4.33% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents exhibiting signs of depression. High rates of depression could be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Beachside Nursing Center, 95.72% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Beachside Nursing Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Beachside Nursing Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that remained mobile levels. Some experts would argue that mobility is vital to patients physical and mental well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Beachside Nursing Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Beachside Nursing Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Beachside Nursing Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Huntington Beach HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.2 miles away17772 Beach Blvd Huntington Beach California 92647Proprietary(714) 843-5000
- Memorialcare Orange Coast Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.3 miles away9920 Talbert Avenue Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 378-7406
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.71 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- South Coast Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.33 miles away2701 S Bristol St Santa Ana California 92704Proprietary(714) 754-5454
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.48 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.46 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.23 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.55 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Fmc-Huntington Beach1.24 miles away17762 Beach Blvd, Ste 120 Huntington Beach California 92647Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 848-0021
- Fmc-Rai-Newhope-Fountain Valley2.68 miles away17197 Newhope Street, Suite a, B, C & D Fountain Valley California 92708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 241-0196
- Davita-Fountain Valley Dialysis3.35 miles away17150 Euclid Street, Suite 111 Fountain Valley California 92708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (714) 966-1595
- Davita-Huntington Beach Dialysis3.49 miles away16892 Bolsa Chica Avenue, Suite 100 Huntington Beach California 92649Dialysis Stations: 10 (714) 846-2102
- Fmc-Rai-Goldenwest-Westminster3.76 miles away15330 Goldenwest Street Westminster California 92683CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 373-1543
- Davita-Costa Mesa Dialysis3.96 miles away1590 Scenic Avenue Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 540-9401
- Fmc-Rai-Fountain Valley Home4.01 miles away17197 Newhope Street, Suite E Fountain Valley California 92708Dialysis Stations: 3 (714) 435-0281
- Davita-Westminster South Dialysis5.11 miles away14014 Magnolia St. Westminster California 92683CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 894-8712