With an address in Huntington Beach, California, Beachside Nursing Center is one of a mere three available nursing homes in this city. It looks like this is a fine nursing home. We gave this it an overall grade of B+, which is very good rating. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top third of all nursing homes in the country. This nursing home also received consistently good grades in all of our categories. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Beachside Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Huntington Beach senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall grade, we gave this facility an A for our short-term care grade. Our short-term care grades are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a broad spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. We weren't able to locate information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
This nursing home also excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we gave it an A for that area, which is one of our highest scores. This is one of the few facilities with an overall score in this range which received multiple category grades this high. Inspection scores weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this area generally have few of these severe deficiencies. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Beachside Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third category we analyzed is long-term care. This nursing home received a very positive long-term care grade, with a grade of B in this area. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 98.4127 percent of its residents, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly can be a deadly illness for nursing home patients so we like it when a facility does not roll the dice on this issue. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The final area we rated is nursing, where this nursing home was awarded a B. This nursing home proved to be relatively strong across the board. Our nursing score includes a number of subcategories. The most important one is the quantity of hours nurses spend with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Beachside Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Beachside Nursing Center, 7.89% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who suffered from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Beachside Nursing Center, 1.59% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents who suffered a fall resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Beachside Nursing Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Beachside Nursing Center, 3.17% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Beachside Nursing Center, 18.03% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Beachside Nursing Center, 3.64% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Beachside Nursing Center, 97.82% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Beachside Nursing Center, 11.32% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Beachside Nursing Center, 13.58% of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that retained mobility levels. Many in the industry argue that mobility is vital to residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Beachside Nursing Center, 13.58% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Beachside Nursing Center, 13.63% of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Beachside Nursing Center, 87.62% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living usually correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
- Huntington Beach HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.2 miles away17772 Beach Blvd Huntington Beach California 92647Proprietary(714) 843-5000
- Memorialcare Orange Coast Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.3 miles away9920 Talbert Avenue Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 378-7406
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.71 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- South Coast Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.33 miles away2701 S Bristol St Santa Ana California 92704Proprietary(714) 754-5454
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.48 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.46 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.23 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.55 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Fmc-Huntington Beach1.24 miles away17762 Beach Blvd, Ste 120 Huntington Beach California 92647Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 848-0021
- Fmc-Rai-Newhope-Fountain Valley2.68 miles away17197 Newhope Street, Suite a, B, C & D Fountain Valley California 92708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 241-0196
- Davita-Fountain Valley Dialysis3.35 miles away17150 Euclid Street, Suite 111 Fountain Valley California 92708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (714) 966-1595
- Davita-Huntington Beach Dialysis3.49 miles away16892 Bolsa Chica Avenue, Suite 100 Huntington Beach California 92649Dialysis Stations: 10 (714) 846-2102
- Fmc-Rai-Goldenwest-Westminster3.76 miles away15330 Goldenwest Street Westminster California 92683CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 373-1543
- Davita-Costa Mesa Dialysis3.96 miles away1590 Scenic Avenue Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 540-9401
- Fmc-Rai-Fountain Valley Home4.01 miles away17197 Newhope Street, Suite E Fountain Valley California 92708Dialysis Stations: 3 (714) 435-0281
- Davita-Westminster South Dialysis5.11 miles away14014 Magnolia St. Westminster California 92683CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 894-8712