Beach Gardens Rehab and Nursing Center is in Far Rockaway, New York, a city with 71,951 people. With an overall score of D, this is a well below average nursing home. This nursing home seems to have very little working in its favor. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection reports. You can scroll down to learn more about inspections and other category grades
Beach Gardens Rehab and Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't rate this nursing home favorably overall, we did give it an excellent score in the category of inspections, where it earned an A+. Inspection grades weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. You should avoid nursing homes with a bunch of deficiencies flagged. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even with this deficiency, this nursing home still received a relatively favorable inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
This facilities second most favorable category was long-term care. We gave it a C in this area. This is basically a middle of the pack score in this area. In determining our long-term care scores, we scrutinize the assistance with daily living offered to the nursing home's residents. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. Candidly, we were a bit alarmed this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to just 80.40541 percent of its patients. Nevertheless, this nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Beach Gardens Rehab and Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we graded was short-term care, where this nursing home was given an F. Short-term care scores are meaningful for people in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more highly-skilled nursing. This includes a vast spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. With a score of this caliber for this category, we weren't stunned to find that this facility was well below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. It provided substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most facilities. The final measure we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 3.6 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor metrics was damning for this facility's short-term care grade.
The next area we assessed is nursing, where this facility received an abysmal score in this category also. Sadly, it received an F for this area, which is obviously a major concern. There are a host of subcategories within this category. Most of these data points reflect levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This place fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Beach Gardens Rehab and Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Beach Gardens Rehab and Nursing Center, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Beach Gardens Rehab and Nursing Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of long-term care residents who experienced falls leading to major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Beach Gardens Rehab and Nursing Center, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who have experienced a UTI. UTI's could be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric can also be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Beach Gardens Rehab and Nursing Center, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who were administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Beach Gardens Rehab and Nursing Center, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Beach Gardens Rehab and Nursing Center, 13.6% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Beach Gardens Rehab and Nursing Center, 91.89% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Beach Gardens Rehab and Nursing Center, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and eating. Some believe that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Beach Gardens Rehab and Nursing Center, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Beach Gardens Rehab and Nursing Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Beach Gardens Rehab and Nursing Center, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Beach Gardens Rehab and Nursing Center, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Beach Gardens Rehab and Nursing Center, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Far Rockaway, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Far Rockaway, New York has 10 other nursing homes
- St John's Episcopal Hospital at South ShoreAcute Care Hospitals 0.09 miles away327 Beach 19th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Voluntary non-profit - Church(718) 869-7000
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.86 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.63 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.82 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.17 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 9.87 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- New York Community Hospital of Brooklyn, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 10.27 miles away2525 Kings Highway Brooklyn New York 11229Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 692-5302
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.3 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- Marjorie Basser Dialysis Center0.13 miles awaySt. John's Episcopal Hospital 327 Beach 19th Street, Dialysis Unit Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 869-7637
- Rockaway Hd LLC0.18 miles away529 Beach 20th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 327-4503
- Peninsula Continuum Services LLC0.33 miles away50-15 Beach Channel Drive Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 734-2190
- Woodmere Dialysis LLC3.27 miles awayFive Towns Premier Nursing and Rehabilitation 1050 Central Avenue Woodmere New York 11598Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 791-5277
- Springfield Dialysis Center4.16 miles away134-35 Springfield Boulevard Springfield Gardens New York 11413CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 978-1233
- West Nassau Dialysis Ctr, Inc5.2 miles away75 Rockaway Avenue Valley Stream New York 11580CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 823-4444
- Davita Lynbrook Dialysis Center5.31 miles away147 Scranton Avenue Lynbrook New York 11563CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 596-4101
- Fms-St. Alban's Dialysis Center5.91 miles away172-70 Baisley Blvd Jamaica New York 11434CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 949-1600