Located in Castro Valley, California, Baywood Court Health Center is one of five available nursing homes in this city. This nursing home received an excellent grade of A- overall. This is better than the city grade of A- in Castro Valley, which is also well above average. We really can't say enough great things about this nursing home. This nursing home's strong profile was highlighted by its inspection reports, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Baywood Court Health Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Radiation Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to create an immediate threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was dominant in the area of short-term care, where we gave it a score of A. Only a select group of facilities fared better in this category. Short-term care grades are typically used to assess a facility's performance with rehabilitation. To provide quality rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must feature better levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. It does not appear that this facility provided registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The final statistic we looked at in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 7.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Baywood Court Health Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Compounding its high-end profile, this nursing home also was given an excellent long-term care score, with a score of A-. Facilities that do well in long-term care typically provide residents with better supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. After looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is much higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The next area we rated was nursing, in which this facility was awarded a grade of B-. This actually ended up being this facility's least impressive category. This is nevertheless not a poor grade. Our nursing grade is mostly tied to the facility's nurse staffing. This place averages just 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident each day, which is well below average. Lastly, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics. Although this nursing home got docked a bit for its nursing hours, it excelled in a few of these quality-based measures. With fewer than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared very well in this subcategory. This can be a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a policy of moving patients more often.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Baywood Court Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Baywood Court Health Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Baywood Court Health Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are often caused by poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Baywood Court Health Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. More frequent bathing limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Baywood Court Health Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Baywood Court Health Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Baywood Court Health Center, 4.33% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Baywood Court Health Center, 95.72% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Baywood Court Health Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Baywood Court Health Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care residents that retained mobility levels.
In Baywood Court Health Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Baywood Court Health Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Baywood Court Health Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Baywood Court Health Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Castro Valley, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Castro Valley, California has 4 other nursing homes
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.63 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 5.17 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- San Ramon Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9 miles away6001 Norris Canyon Road San Ramon California 94583Proprietary(925) 275-9200
- Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.42 miles away2000 Mowry Ave Fremont California 94538Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 797-1111
- Stanford Health Care - ValleycareAcute Care Hospitals 10.82 miles away5555 West Las Positas Boulevard Pleasanton California 94588Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 447-7000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - FremontAcute Care Hospitals 10.97 miles away39400 Paseo Padre Pkwy Fremont California 94538Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 784-4000
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.05 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- South Hayward Dialysis Center1.71 miles away254 Jackson Street Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 583-1255
- East Bay Peritoneal Dialysis2.54 miles away13939 E 14th Street Ste 110 San Leandro California 94578Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 614-1380
- Hayward Dialysis Center2.57 miles away21615 Hesperian Boulevard Suite F Hayward California 94541CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (510) 780-9094
- San Leandro Dialysis2.77 miles away15555 East 14th Street Suite 520 San Leandro California 94578CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 317-6510
- Hayward4.7 miles away1661 Industrial Parkway West Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 266-5743
- Satellite Dialysis West San Leandro5.08 miles away2401 Merced St Suite 110 San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 746-3900
- San Leandro Marina Dialysis Center5.1 miles away2551 Merced St San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 352-1207
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro5.34 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011