Bayside Healthcare Center is a large facility located in Gretna, Louisiana. Sporting an overall rating of D, this is a subpar facility. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in Gretna. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's report card, you can continue reading to find out about its category scores. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Bayside Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall score was not a highlight, it actually really excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it an A for that category, which is one of our best scores. Our inspection ratings are based on several datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these inspections. Most importantly, you should avoid nursing homes with severe deficiencies linked to risks to resident well being. While this facility had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
We gave this nursing home just a D for our long-term care grade and that actually ended up being its second best score. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in this category may not provide the type of consistent 24/7 care that some other nursing homes offer. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination records. We were somewhat surprised to discover that this nursing home vaccinated just 89.96283 percent of its residents against pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Bayside Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Our next area we graded is short-term care, in which this nursing home received an F. Our short-term care grades are considered to be most meaningful for those requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. This means not only nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. With a score this poor in this area, we were not shocked to discover this facility was well below average in the two key staffing figures we assess. The facility provided significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most nursing homes. Finally, we considered the number of residents who ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
The next area we scored was nursing. It received an abysmal F in this area, which is an abysmal score. Our nursing grade looks at the facility's level of nurse staffing. We look at both the levels of training of those nurses as well as the number of hours spent with residents. This facility provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is not a very impressive figure. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these statistics to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bayside Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 9.76% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of long-term patients who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 3.46% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Falls are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 2.79% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 16.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 1.48% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Higher rates of depression could reveal a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 89.54% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 17.84% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 15.38% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who were able to retain mobility. Some experts believe that mobility is vital to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 2.05 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 15.38 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 12.77 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 64.63% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many would argue this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
- West Jefferson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.25 miles away1101 Medical Center Blvd Marrero Louisiana 70072Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 347-5511
- Touro InfirmaryAcute Care Hospitals 5.48 miles away1401 Foucher Street New Orleans Louisiana 70115Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 897-8247
- Tulane Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.67 miles away1415 Tulane Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 988-5263
- Childrens HospitalChildrens 6.72 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 899-9511
- St Bernard Parish HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away8000 West Judge Perez Drive Chalmette Louisiana 70043Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 826-9500
- University Medical Center New OrleansAcute Care Hospitals 7.14 miles away2000 Canal Street New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 903-3000
- Ochsner Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.48 miles away1516 Jefferson Hwy New Orleans Louisiana 70121Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 842-3000
- New Orleans East HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.94 miles away5620 Read Blvd New Orleans Louisiana 70127Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 592-6600
- Dci - Westbank-Gretna1.58 miles away1010 Behrman Hwy Gretna Louisiana 70056Dialysis Stations: 22 (504) 391-9572
- Davita - Marrero Dialysis Center3.45 miles away1908 Jutland Dr Harvey Louisiana 70058CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (504) 347-6224
- Fmcna - Gretna3.6 miles away959 Behrman Hgwy Gretna Louisiana 70056Dialysis Stations: 17 (504) 391-1041
- Davita - Oakwood Dialysis3.62 miles away148 Hector Ave Gretna Louisiana 70056Dialysis Stations: 12 (504) 376-1603
- Davita - Westbank Chronic Renal Ctr3.67 miles away3631 Behrman Pl New Orleans Louisiana 70114CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (504) 366-0808
- Davita - Algiers Dialysis4.02 miles away2924 General Degaulle Dr New Orleans Louisiana 70114Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 367-0006
- Fmcna - Barataria4.07 miles away1849 Barataria Blvd Ste A Marrero Louisiana 70072Dialysis Stations: 23 (504) 347-4228
- Fkc - Algiers4.31 miles away2908 General Degualle Dr New Orleans Louisiana 70114Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 227-1521