Bayside Healthcare Center is a large facility located in Gretna, Louisiana. Sporting an overall rating of D, this is a subpar facility. This was not the worse nursing home we graded, however, we would still be very reluctant to recommend it. If you aren't deterred by this place's report card, you can continue reading to learn more about its category grades. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Bayside Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Gretna senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this nursing home highly overall, we want to draw your attention to its nearly flawless government inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A in this category. Our inspection ratings weigh a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. You generally want to avoid facilities with a bunch of severe deficiencies flagged. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This means the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the area of long-term care, this nursing home was awarded a grade of just D in that category. Sadly, this ended up being its second best grade. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 98.45201 percent of its residents, which is higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Surprisingly, this place was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Does this page answer your questions about Bayside Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed was short-term care, in which this facility was given an F. Short-term care grades are vital for patients requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates additional highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a broad scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Based on its grade in this area, we were not stunned to discover that this facility was well below average in terms of the number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the figures we assessed. Frankly, this was about what we expected here. The final datapoint we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar statistics sunk this facility's short-term care grade.
The final category we rated is nursing, in which this facility was given an abysmal grade here also. Unfortunately, we gave it a lowly F for this category, which is definitely very concerning. Nursing grades are based in large part on nurse staffing levels. This facility offered a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place fared well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these statistics to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bayside Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 11.26% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 7.12% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 1.59% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Closer supervision limits the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 21.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 7.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 0.33% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 91.58% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 22.85% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate the decline of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 22.96% of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care patients that remained mobile levels.
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 22.96% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 17.92% of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 82.12% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- West Jefferson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.25 miles away1101 Medical Center Blvd Marrero Louisiana 70072Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 347-5511
- Touro InfirmaryAcute Care Hospitals 5.48 miles away1401 Foucher Street New Orleans Louisiana 70115Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 897-8247
- Tulane Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.67 miles away1415 Tulane Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 988-5263
- Childrens HospitalChildrens 6.72 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 899-9511
- St Bernard Parish HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away8000 West Judge Perez Drive Chalmette Louisiana 70043Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 826-9500
- University Medical Center New OrleansAcute Care Hospitals 7.14 miles away2000 Canal Street New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 903-3000
- Ochsner Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.48 miles away1516 Jefferson Hwy New Orleans Louisiana 70121Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 842-3000
- New Orleans East HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.94 miles away5620 Read Blvd New Orleans Louisiana 70127Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 592-6600
- Dci - Westbank-Gretna1.58 miles away1010 Behrman Hwy Gretna Louisiana 70056Dialysis Stations: 22 (504) 391-9572
- Davita - Marrero Dialysis Center3.45 miles away1908 Jutland Dr Harvey Louisiana 70058CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (504) 347-6224
- Fmcna - Gretna3.6 miles away959 Behrman Hgwy Gretna Louisiana 70056Dialysis Stations: 17 (504) 391-1041
- Davita - Oakwood Dialysis3.62 miles away148 Hector Ave Gretna Louisiana 70056Dialysis Stations: 12 (504) 376-1603
- Davita - Westbank Chronic Renal Ctr3.67 miles away3631 Behrman Pl New Orleans Louisiana 70114CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (504) 366-0808
- Davita - Algiers Dialysis4.02 miles away2924 General Degaulle Dr New Orleans Louisiana 70114Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 367-0006
- Fmcna - Barataria4.07 miles away1849 Barataria Blvd Ste A Marrero Louisiana 70072Dialysis Stations: 23 (504) 347-4228
- Fkc - Algiers4.31 miles away2908 General Degualle Dr New Orleans Louisiana 70114Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 227-1521