Bayside Healthcare Center is a large facility located in Gretna, Louisiana. This nursing home was awarded an uninspiring overall grade of D, which is a subpar rating. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in Gretna. If you aren't deterred by this place's report card, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category grades. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Bayside Healthcare Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
3201 Wall Blvd,
Gretna LA 70056
55.62% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't rate this facility favorably overall, we did give it an excellent score in the area of inspections, where it received an A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection scores. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these are quite minor. This place was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies an imminent risk to resident safety or health. A few minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This facilities second best category was long-term care. We gave it a C in this area. This is basically a slightly below average score in this area. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 90.909096 percent of its residents, which is slightly less than we anticipated. Finally, we looked at the nursing home's number of hospitalizations. Although it had 2.14 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, its risk adjusted score was more favorable.
Does this page answer your questions about Bayside Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Our next area we graded is short-term care, where this facility received an F. Short-term care grades are generally employed to gauge a facility's rehabilitation services To offer highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally must have higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other licensed professionals. With its score in this category, we were not surprised to discover that this facility is well below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the data we assessed. Frankly, this was about what we expected to find. Finally, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This definitely wasn't a strength for this facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. At most facilities, around half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Moving on to our final area, this facility really did not fare very well in this area either. With a rock bottom grade of F in nursing, this is about as as uninspiring as it gets. In determining our nursing grades, we factor in both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home provided only 3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is an alarmingly low total. To go along with its low total nursing hours per patient, this facility had poor marks in many of the quality-based measures we looked at in computing our nursing scores. We looked at the percent of residents experiencing falls which led to major injury. This place was at more than 150 percent of the national average in this statistic.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bayside Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 9.91% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 3.5% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who had falls which caused severe injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 2.75% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who have experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's could be a sign of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric could be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 15.82% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used to treat a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 22.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients which were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 1.57% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 89.69% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 17.57% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 16.33% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 1.86 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 16.33 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 12.99 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bayside Healthcare Center, 64% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- West Jefferson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.25 miles away1101 Medical Center Blvd Marrero Louisiana 70072Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 347-5511
- Touro InfirmaryAcute Care Hospitals 5.48 miles away1401 Foucher Street New Orleans Louisiana 70115Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 897-8247
- Tulane Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.67 miles away1415 Tulane Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 988-5263
- Childrens HospitalChildrens 6.72 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 899-9511
- St Bernard Parish HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away8000 West Judge Perez Drive Chalmette Louisiana 70043Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 826-9500
- University Medical Center New OrleansAcute Care Hospitals 7.14 miles away2000 Canal Street New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 903-3000
- Ochsner Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.48 miles away1516 Jefferson Hwy New Orleans Louisiana 70121Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 842-3000
- New Orleans East HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.94 miles away5620 Read Blvd New Orleans Louisiana 70127Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 592-6600
- Dci - Westbank-Gretna1.58 miles away1010 Behrman Hwy Gretna Louisiana 70056Dialysis Stations: 22 (504) 391-9572
- Davita - Marrero Dialysis Center3.45 miles away1908 Jutland Dr Harvey Louisiana 70058CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (504) 347-6224
- Fmcna - Gretna3.6 miles away959 Behrman Hgwy Gretna Louisiana 70056Dialysis Stations: 17 (504) 391-1041
- Davita - Oakwood Dialysis3.62 miles away148 Hector Ave Gretna Louisiana 70056Dialysis Stations: 12 (504) 376-1603
- Davita - Westbank Chronic Renal Ctr3.67 miles away3631 Behrman Pl New Orleans Louisiana 70114CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (504) 366-0808
- Davita - Algiers Dialysis4.02 miles away2924 General Degaulle Dr New Orleans Louisiana 70114Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 367-0006
- Fmcna - Barataria4.07 miles away1849 Barataria Blvd Ste A Marrero Louisiana 70072Dialysis Stations: 23 (504) 347-4228
- Fkc - Algiers4.31 miles away2908 General Degualle Dr New Orleans Louisiana 70114Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 227-1521