Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center turns out to be one of a host of nursing home options at your disposal in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Sporting an overall rating of A-, this nursing home is one of the higher-rated nursing homes we looked at. This is just about as good of a facility as you'll find. As you will find below, this place also performed just fine in our category ratings. It is hard to find any major flaws in this place's profile.
Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1004 Independence Blvd,
Virginia Beach VA 23455
87.66% estimated occupancy 1
Please note our records indicate that Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a strong overall grade, this facility also excelled in inspections, which is based on the facility's inspection reports. We awarded it an A for this area. Inspection grades weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this area generally have very few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was superb in the area of long-term care, where it received a score of A. Few facilities received a better grade in this area. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 75.2809 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is slightly lower than we were hoping for but still a reasonably acceptable figure. The last statistic we looked at was the nursing home's hospitalization rate. Here we found that this facility had 3.61 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. While this admittedly wasn't as strong as most of its other scores in this area, this statistic may be skewed for some facilities based on the preexisting medical conditions of patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was given a superb score of A- in our short-term care category. Our short-term care grade is often employed to grade a facility's rehabilitation services To provide highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to offer higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Remarkably, this facility offers its residents at least 50% more physical therapist hours per week than the typical nursing home. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from this facility. On top of excelling in the area of physical therapy hours, we found that it performed as well as just about any facility in the country with 67.9 percent of its patients returning home. Most nursing homes are below 50 percent in this metric.
The last category we assessed was nursing. In this category, we awarded this nursing home an above average grade of B. Our nursing score analyzes the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We look at both the levels of training of those nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with patients. This facility provided 3.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at certain nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We view these data points as reliable indicators of the caliber of nursing care offered, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 8.83% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.6% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 2.65% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients which suffered from a UTI. While more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 13.5% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 21.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients that are prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 4.13% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 91.75% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 16.97% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 23.72% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care patients that maintained mobility.
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.22 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 23.72 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 11.68 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 75.36% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Virginia Beach, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Virginia Beach, Virginia has 9 other nursing homes
- Sentara Leigh HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.54 miles away830 Kempsville Road Norfolk Virginia 23502Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 261-6700
- Sentara Virginia Beach General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.81 miles away1060 First Colonial Road Virginia Beach Virginia 23454Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 395-8000
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.28 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 9.25 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.45 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 9.66 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Chesapeake General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.79 miles away736 Battlefield Blvd, North Chesapeake Virginia 23320Government - Hospital District or Authority(757) 312-8121
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.11 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Davita - Virginia Beach0.78 miles away740 Independence Cir Virginia Beach Virginia 23455CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (757) 499-1301
- Stines Dialysis LLC2.44 miles away230 Clearfield Ave Ste 106 Virginia Beach Virginia 23462Dialysis Stations: 12 (757) 518-9439
- Fmc - Virginia Beach3.32 miles away525 S Independence Blvd Ste 150 Virginia Beach Virginia 23452CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (757) 687-7902
- Leigh Dialysis Center3.36 miles away420 N Center Dr Bldg 11 Ste 128 Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 455-0060
- Kempsville Dialysis Center3.51 miles away6320 North Center Dr Bldg 15 Ste 140 Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (757) 466-9446
- Kempsville Home Dialysis3.59 miles away6161 Kempsville Cir Suite 155 Norfolk Virginia 23502Dialysis Stations: 2 (757) 461-9422
- Princess Anne Dialysis4.04 miles away3973 Holland Rd Virginia Beach Virginia 23452CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 340-3526
- Norfolk Dialysis Center5.7 miles away962 Norfolk Sq Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (757) 461-0501