Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center is a small facility in Virginia Beach, Virginia. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B+. Indeed, this is one of the three highest graded facilities in the city. You could definitely do much worse than this place. This nursing home's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection rating, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a strong overall rating, this nursing home fared even better in the area of inspections which is based on the facility's recent inspections. In fact, we awarded it an A for this category, which is one of our highest grades. Arguably the most important factor we look at in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this area most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This particular nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Among the reasons we graded this nursing home so well is that it was awarded a very impressive long-term care grade. In fact, long-term care is its second best category score. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a score of A-. For long-term care residents, the nursing home's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. One of the datapoints we considered after nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 72.52747 percent of its patients. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next category, this nursing home received a dominant short-term care score. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of A-. With our short-term care assessment, we seek to create a meaningful measure for rehabilitation services. In this process, we analyze a nursing home's level of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Switching gears to the next category, this nursing home received an acceptable nursing grade. Even though this is not quite as good as some of its other scores, this is still not a terrible score. There are a host of factors included in this category. Most of these subcategories reflect staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is a lower figure than we were hoping for. Lastly, our nursing ratings also consider quality-based metrics, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this facility performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically a good indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its residents.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 8.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term stay residents that developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are an measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.64% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision. More supervision reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 2.55% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 13.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are used for several medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 20.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.63% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 91.12% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 16.48% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 21.22% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who were able to retain mobility. Some experts believe that mobility is vital to residents' physical and mental health.
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.29 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 21.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 11.62 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bayside Health & Rehabilitation Center, 75.54% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Virginia Beach, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Virginia Beach, Virginia has 10 other nursing homes
- Sentara Leigh HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.54 miles away830 Kempsville Road Norfolk Virginia 23502Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 261-6700
- Sentara Virginia Beach General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.81 miles away1060 First Colonial Road Virginia Beach Virginia 23454Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 395-8000
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.28 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 9.25 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.45 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 9.66 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Chesapeake General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.79 miles away736 Battlefield Blvd, North Chesapeake Virginia 23320Government - Hospital District or Authority(757) 312-8121
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.11 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Davita - Virginia Beach0.78 miles away740 Independence Cir Virginia Beach Virginia 23455CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (757) 499-1301
- Stines Dialysis LLC2.44 miles away230 Clearfield Ave Ste 106 Virginia Beach Virginia 23462Dialysis Stations: 12 (757) 518-9439
- Fmc - Virginia Beach3.32 miles away525 S Independence Blvd Ste 150 Virginia Beach Virginia 23452CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (757) 687-7902
- Leigh Dialysis Center3.36 miles away420 N Center Dr Bldg 11 Ste 128 Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 455-0060
- Kempsville Dialysis Center3.51 miles away6320 North Center Dr Bldg 15 Ste 140 Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (757) 466-9446
- Kempsville Home Dialysis3.59 miles away6161 Kempsville Cir Suite 155 Norfolk Virginia 23502Dialysis Stations: 2 (757) 461-9422
- Princess Anne Dialysis4.04 miles away3973 Holland Rd Virginia Beach Virginia 23452CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 340-3526
- Norfolk Dialysis Center5.7 miles away962 Norfolk Sq Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (757) 461-0501