Bay Village of Sarasota is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Sarasota, Florida. This facility was given a very strong overall rating of A+, making it one of the top nursing homes in Sarasota. This is impressive given that the city offers plenty of quality nursing homes. You really can't do much better than this place. Headlining this nursing home's remarkable profile is its long-term care score, which we will address in the next section.
Bay Village of Sarasota
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to being a first rate facility overall, this facility also excelled in long-term care, where it received an A+. Few facilities performed better in this category. When nursing homes receive this kind of score in long-term care it is a good sign for resident care and suggests that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses and aids. One of the factors we considered after nursing hours was vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. This is a proven method to minimize negative health outcomes for the aged 65 and up population. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A. The nursing grade includes numerous factors. The most heavily weighted factor is the number of hours nurses spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Bay Village of Sarasota?
This facility also earned a nearly flawless government inspection report. It earned one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our final area, this nursing home also excelled in our short-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A in this category. This completed a straight A profile. Short-term care ratings are crucial for residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a broad spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final item we assessed in this area is the number of residents who were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bay Village of Sarasota Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bay Village of Sarasota, 9.03% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bay Village of Sarasota, 2.8% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents which suffered falls which resulted in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bay Village of Sarasota, 1.82% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that have had UTI's. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bay Village of Sarasota, 10.99% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used to treat a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bay Village of Sarasota, 21.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are generally used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bay Village of Sarasota, 2.43% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some experts believe that this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bay Village of Sarasota, 94.61% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bay Village of Sarasota, 13.17% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating. Some experts would argue that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bay Village of Sarasota, 18.15% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who were able to retain mobility. Many would argue that mobility is critical to patients physical and mental health.
In Bay Village of Sarasota, 1.59 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bay Village of Sarasota, 18.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bay Village of Sarasota, 9.19 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bay Village of Sarasota, 77.65% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many argue that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Sarasota, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Sarasota, Florida has 22 other nursing homes
- Doctors Hospital of SarasotaAcute Care Hospitals 5.56 miles away5731 Bee Ridge Rd Sarasota Florida 34233Proprietary(941) 342-1100
- Sarasota Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away1700 S Tamiami Trl Sarasota Florida 34239Government - Hospital District or Authority(941) 917-9000
- Venice Regional Medical Center - Bayfront HealthAcute Care Hospitals 10 miles away540 the Rialto Venice Florida 34285Proprietary(941) 485-7711
- Lakewood Ranch Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.01 miles away8330 Lakewood Ranch Blvd Bradenton Florida 34202Proprietary(941) 782-2100
- Manatee Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.67 miles away206 2nd St E Bradenton Florida 34208Proprietary(941) 746-5111
- Blake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.7 miles away2020 59th St W Bradenton Florida 34209Proprietary(941) 792-6611
- Fresenius Kidney Care Sarasota Trails5.03 miles away4012 S Tamiami Trail Sarasota Florida 34231Dialysis Stations: 17 (941) 924-0003
- Us Renal Care Sarasota6.49 miles away1921 Waldemere St Ste 107 Sarasota Florida 34239CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (941) 917-6444
- Fmc - Sarasota Coastal Dialysis Center6.67 miles away2989 Fruitville Rd Sarasota Florida 34237CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (941) 373-9270
- Rtc - Venice10 miles away816 Pinebrook Rd Venice Florida 34285Dialysis Stations: 23 (941) 486-9057
- Manasota Dialysis11.57 miles away6960 Professional Pkwy E Units 4 & 5 Sarasota Florida 34240Dialysis Stations: 16 (941) 362-2864
- Fmc - North Sarasota Dialysis Center11.9 miles away8037 Cooper Creek Blvd Bradenton Florida 34201Dialysis Stations: 14 (941) 351-1641
- Lakewood Ranch Dialysis12.52 miles away8470 Cooper Creek Blvd Bradenton Florida 34201Dialysis Stations: 12 (941) 359-0676
- Fmc - Venice12.54 miles away1120 Indian Hills Blvd Venice Florida 34293CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (941) 493-5969