Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital is a nursing home in Alameda, California. The city has a total of 73,812 people. This facility was given an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack rating. At the end of the day, this place should be a good fit for most people. One of the highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Alameda senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to having a decent overall grade, we also want to point out that this place received favorable government inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with a B+. This is a much better score than the facility's overall grade. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some can be relatively minor. This place was hit with 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This indicates that the inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to create an immediate risk to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
This nursing home also received a strong nursing grade. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B in that category, which is one of our better scores. Nursing ratings are mostly based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also received a favorable long-term care grade. In fact, we awarded it a B in that category, which is one of our more favorable scores. For long-term care residents, the primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 21.3628 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which happens to be a few points less than we expected but still a reasonably acceptable figure. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we graded was short-term care, which turned out to be this nursing home's weakest area. We gave it a lowly F for this category, which is obviously concerning. In the category of short-term care, we seek to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. With a score this poor for this category, we were not shocked to discover this place was well below average in multiple staffing areas we focus on. The nursing home provided far fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.3 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 8.33% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 2.76% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percent of long-term care residents who suffered falls resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 0.67% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 12.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term residents that are administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to having more patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 7.07% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term stay residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 0% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are showing signs of depression. High rates of depression could reveal a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 39.2% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 11.66% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 10.24% of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that remained mobile levels. Some would argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' well-being.
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 10.24% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 10.78% of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 75.96% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's typically correlates with superior rehabilitation.
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.23 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.99 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.26 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 4.44 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 5.43 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 6.02 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 6.71 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.96 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Rai - East Bay - Oakland1.93 miles away2628 International Blvd, Ste 100 Oakland California 94601CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 261-8219
- Rai Peralta4.03 miles away2757 Telegraph Avenue Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 835-0154
- Alameda County Dialysis Center4.05 miles away10700 Macarthur Blvd. Building 7 Oakland California 94605CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 568-5849
- Satellite Dialysis Oakland4.36 miles away3330 Telegraph Ave Oakland California 94609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 433-8340
- Rai E. 14th5.3 miles away198 East 14th St San Leandro California 94577Dialysis Stations: 21 (510) 430-8311
- Rai Piedmont5.4 miles away2710 Telegraph Avenue Suite #100 Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (510) 286-9948
- Rai Bancroft5.55 miles away6955 Foothill Blvd. Ste 220 Oakland California 94605Dialysis Stations: 26 (510) 553-1333
- Oakland Dialysis Center5.59 miles away5354 Claremont Avenue Oakland California 94618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (510) 597-0104