Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital is a nursing home in Alameda, California. The city has a total of 73,812 people. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of D. A grade of this caliber typically indicates some concerning datapoints. At the end of the day, we'd struggle to recommend this nursing home. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection score. You can scroll down to learn more about inspections and other category grades
Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't give this place a good overall grade, we actually gave it a strong grade in the category of inspections, where it earned a B+. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. It is generally best to avoid facilities that had a long list of deficiencies. While this place had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
We also ended up giving this facility a fairly respectable grade in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of C. Our nursing score is primarily associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this place actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically a reliable indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital?
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility's next highest category was long-term care. However, with a D in this area, it still performed relatively badly. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means the nursing home did not perform well in our quality measures relating to patient care. After we finished looking at the volume of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. We were a bit worried that this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 23.968565 percent of its residents for pneumonia. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This was its best feature in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we rated is short-term care. This nursing home was given a bottom of the barrel grade of F in that area. Our short-term care grades are critical for patients looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a broad scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. With its grade in this area, we weren't surprised to learn that this nursing home was well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its patients based on the metrics we looked at. Frankly, this was about what we expected to find. Finally, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 3.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indicator of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric may also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 4.33% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents exhibiting signs of depression. Higher levels of depression may indicate a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 95.72% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who were able to retain mobility.
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bay View Rehabilitation Hospital, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Alameda, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Alameda, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.23 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.99 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.26 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 4.44 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 5.43 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 6.02 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 6.71 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.96 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Rai - East Bay - Oakland1.93 miles away2628 International Blvd, Ste 100 Oakland California 94601CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 261-8219
- Rai Peralta4.03 miles away2757 Telegraph Avenue Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 835-0154
- Alameda County Dialysis Center4.05 miles away10700 Macarthur Blvd. Building 7 Oakland California 94605CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 568-5849
- Satellite Dialysis Oakland4.36 miles away3330 Telegraph Ave Oakland California 94609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 433-8340
- Rai E. 14th5.3 miles away198 East 14th St San Leandro California 94577Dialysis Stations: 21 (510) 430-8311
- Rai Piedmont5.4 miles away2710 Telegraph Avenue Suite #100 Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (510) 286-9948
- Rai Bancroft5.55 miles away6955 Foothill Blvd. Ste 220 Oakland California 94605Dialysis Stations: 26 (510) 553-1333
- Oakland Dialysis Center5.59 miles away5354 Claremont Avenue Oakland California 94618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (510) 597-0104