Bay Park Center for Nursing and Rehab is in Bronx, New York, which is one of the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the nation. Sporting an overall score of D, this is a relatively poor facility. Keep in mind that Bronx received a city grade of B-, so should consider some other options in the city as well. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Bay Park Center for Nursing and Rehab
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Bay Park Center for Nursing and Rehab has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While we gave this nursing home a poor overall score, we gave it a somewhat respectable score in the area of inspections, where it received a B-. This was quite a bit better than its other categories. Our inspection scores account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This tells you that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
We also awarded this facility a grade of B- for our nursing rating. Nursing grades are mostly tied to a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provides only 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a somewhat uninspiring figure which is well below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In fact, it performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Does this page answer your questions about Bay Park Center for Nursing and Rehab?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed is short-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a decent grade of B-. Our short-term care ratings are based in part on the facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a vast scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. The final item we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients that eventually returned home from the facility. We found that just 4.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at was long-term care. We awarded this nursing home a grade of B- in this category. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 98.3588 percent of its patients, which is higher than the average nursing home. This place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bay Park Center for Nursing and Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bay Park Center for Nursing and Rehab, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term patients who developed pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bay Park Center for Nursing and Rehab, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients that have experienced falls leading to major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bay Park Center for Nursing and Rehab, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better nursing care can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bay Park Center for Nursing and Rehab, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bay Park Center for Nursing and Rehab, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bay Park Center for Nursing and Rehab, 13.6% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression could imply worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bay Park Center for Nursing and Rehab, 91.89% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bay Park Center for Nursing and Rehab, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing. Some experts would argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bay Park Center for Nursing and Rehab, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Bay Park Center for Nursing and Rehab, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bay Park Center for Nursing and Rehab, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bay Park Center for Nursing and Rehab, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bay Park Center for Nursing and Rehab, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 44 other nursing homes
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.75 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Montefiore Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.46 miles away12 North 7th Avenue Mount Vernon New York 10550Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 664-8000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.64 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- Montefiore New Rochelle HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.28 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 632-5000
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.76 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.97 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.1 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.56 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Davita Boston Post Road Dialysis Center0.46 miles away4026 Boston Road Bronx New York 10475CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 862-9245
- Workmen's Circle Dialysis Center0.53 miles away3155 Grace Avenue Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 379-8100
- Davita Laconia Dialysis1.03 miles away3440 Boston Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 798-0538
- Kings Harbor Health Services LLC1.23 miles away2020 East Gun Hill Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 9 (718) 320-1335
- Davita Sandford Boulevard Dialysis1.46 miles away120 E. Sanford Blvd Mount Vernon New York 10550Dialysis Stations: 8 (914) 665-2035
- Davita Hutchinson River Dialysis1.46 miles away2331 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 19 (718) 547-0612
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc1.92 miles away3525 White Plains Road, Suite B Bronx New York 10467CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 547-4562
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc1.92 miles away3525 White Plains Road Ste. A Bronx New York 10467Dialysis Stations: 1 (718) 652-1013