Bay Crest Care Center is in Torrance, California, a city with 174,353 people. We gave this facility an overall grade of D. A grade in this range generally indicates a few concerning datapoints. If you aren't happy with this facility's overall grade, you should be able to find a better option in Torrance. The city has at least 10 other nursing homes. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category was inspections, which is addressed in the next section.
Bay Crest Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not have many favorable things to say about this facility's overall grade, it did receive a somewhat respectable government inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent score in that area with a B-. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively insignificant. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's short-term care grade ended up being one of its respectable grades. The facility received a grade of B- in this area. In calculating these short-term care ratings, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our purpose is to formulate a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. In this nursing home's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the typical facility. The last item we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Bay Crest Care Center?
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of C for that category, which is not a bad score. Nursing scores are based in large part on levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics. Although this facility got docked a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in a few of these quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it fared remarkably well in this area. This is often an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of turning residents more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the fourth category, this facility really didn't perform well here either. With a very poor grade of F in long-term care, this is really as as uninspiring as it gets. For long-term care residents, the primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. One of the data points we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this nursing home also fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bay Crest Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bay Crest Care Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bay Crest Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bay Crest Care Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bay Crest Care Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bay Crest Care Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bay Crest Care Center, 4.33% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bay Crest Care Center, 95.72% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bay Crest Care Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bay Crest Care Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bay Crest Care Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bay Crest Care Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bay Crest Care Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Torrance, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Torrance, California has 11 other nursing homes
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.19 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 2.35 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.46 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.28 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.52 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.59 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.74 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 12.36 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Davitatorrance Emerald Dialysis0.18 miles away20821 Hawthorne Blvd Torrance California 90503Dialysis Stations: 25 (310) 214-1715
- u.s. Renal Care Torrance Dialysis Center0.2 miles away20430 Hawthorne Blvd. Torrance California 90503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (424) 212-5051
- u.s. Renal Care Earl Street Dialysis0.3 miles away20911 Earl Street, Suite 160 Torrance California 90503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 9 (310) 371-4244
- u.s. Renal Care South Bay Home Program1.52 miles away23441 Madison Street #320 Torrance California 90503Dialysis Stations: 4 (310) 378-8452
- u.s. Renal Care South Bay Dialysis1.53 miles away4450 182nd Street Redondo Beach California 90278Dialysis Stations: 15 (310) 542-8032
- u.s. Renal Care Redondo Beach Dialysis1.66 miles away514 N. Prospect Avenue Redondo Beach California 90277Dialysis Stations: 7 (310) 379-6671
- u.s. Renal Care Skypark Dialysis2.18 miles away3295 Skypark Drive Torrance California 90505CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (310) 539-5091
- Davita-Rolling Hills Dialysis3.64 miles away25210 Crenshaw Blvd., Suite 110 Torrance California 90505Dialysis Stations: 27 (310) 530-1180