Bay Crest Care Center is in Torrance, California, a city with 174,353 people. This nursing home received an F, which is really a bottom of the barrel score in our grading scheme. If you are not satisfied with this facility's mediocre overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are five other nursing homes in Torrance. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category is short-term care, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Bay Crest Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: Bay Crest Care Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Torrance senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we graded this nursing home incredibly poorly overall, it received a decent short-term care score this year. We gave it a grade of B- in that category, which was the closest thing to a bright spot we can find for this facility. Our short-term care scores are important for individuals needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires additional skilled nursing. This means a wide spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than a typical facility. The hope is that this does not adversely impact the quality of care. The last metric we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
This nursing home really excelled in our nursing category, where it earned an C. Few facilities performed better in this area. Nursing scores are primarily associated with a facility's nurse staffing. This place averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day, which is not an impressive total. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics. While this nursing home got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of these quality metrics. With fewer than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it did remarkably well in this metric. This is often a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as having a system of moving residents more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Bay Crest Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the area of long-term care, this facility received just a D in this area. For patients looking for a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are very important. After considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is higher than most nursing homes. Surprisingly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Turning our final category of inspections, this facility received an F in this area. Since this data is compiled by independent government inspectors, we heavily weight negative feedback in this category. We would advise paying special attention to any deficiencies on a facility's inspection reports when it receives this poor of an inspection grade. We recommend you scrutinize the level of severity of those deficiencies. This particular facility was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they posed a risk to resident health or safety. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bay Crest Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bay Crest Care Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bay Crest Care Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percent of long-term patients who sustained falls resulting in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bay Crest Care Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bay Crest Care Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These medications may be used for treating a variety of conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bay Crest Care Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bay Crest Care Center, 5.83% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bay Crest Care Center, 95.65% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bay Crest Care Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bay Crest Care Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Bay Crest Care Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bay Crest Care Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bay Crest Care Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bay Crest Care Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Torrance, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Torrance, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.19 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 2.35 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.46 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.28 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.52 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.59 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.74 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 12.36 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Davitatorrance Emerald Dialysis0.18 miles away20821 Hawthorne Blvd Torrance California 90503Dialysis Stations: 25 (310) 214-1715
- u.s. Renal Care Torrance Dialysis Center0.2 miles away20430 Hawthorne Blvd. Torrance California 90503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (424) 212-5051
- u.s. Renal Care Earl Street Dialysis0.3 miles away20911 Earl Street, Suite 160 Torrance California 90503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 9 (310) 371-4244
- u.s. Renal Care South Bay Home Program1.52 miles away23441 Madison Street #320 Torrance California 90503Dialysis Stations: 4 (310) 378-8452
- u.s. Renal Care South Bay Dialysis1.53 miles away4450 182nd Street Redondo Beach California 90278Dialysis Stations: 15 (310) 542-8032
- u.s. Renal Care Redondo Beach Dialysis1.66 miles away514 N. Prospect Avenue Redondo Beach California 90277Dialysis Stations: 7 (310) 379-6671
- u.s. Renal Care Skypark Dialysis2.18 miles away3295 Skypark Drive Torrance California 90505CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (310) 539-5091
- Davita-Rolling Hills Dialysis3.64 miles away25210 Crenshaw Blvd., Suite 110 Torrance California 90505Dialysis Stations: 27 (310) 530-1180