Baton Rouge Health Care Center is just one of 11 facilities in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. This facility received a grade of B overall. We found it to be better than the majority of the facilities in Baton Rouge, which has a city grade of B-. Based on our assessment, you can do much worse than this facility. This nursing home is better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Baton Rouge Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Baton Rouge senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Our inspection grades are based on datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this area typically have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
An additional strong feature for this facility is that it was given an above average long-term care score. Indeed, this proved to be its second best category score. In this area, we awarded this facility a B. Facilities that excel in this category tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 99.36909 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Baton Rouge Health Care Center?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Nursing scores are primarily associated with a nursing home's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Our final category is short-term care, where we gave this nursing home a grade of B- in this category. Short-term care grades are commonly employed to measure a facility's rehabilitation services. To provide good rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to feature better levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. It does not look like this nursing home submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The final statistic we looked at in this category is the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Baton Rouge Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Baton Rouge Health Care Center, 10% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Baton Rouge Health Care Center, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Baton Rouge Health Care Center, 2.69% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Baton Rouge Health Care Center, 16.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Baton Rouge Health Care Center, 22.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Baton Rouge Health Care Center, 1.51% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Baton Rouge Health Care Center, 85.51% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Baton Rouge Health Care Center, 19.03% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Baton Rouge Health Care Center, 13.75% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Baton Rouge Health Care Center, 2.4 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Baton Rouge Health Care Center, 13.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Baton Rouge Health Care Center, 13.45 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Baton Rouge Health Care Center, 67.8% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Baton Rouge, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Baton Rouge, Louisiana has 10 other nursing homes
- Lane Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.27 miles away6300 Main Street Zachary Louisiana 70791Government - Hospital District or Authority(225) 658-4000
- Baton Rouge General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.52 miles away3600 Florida Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 387-7767
- Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.88 miles away5000 Hennessy Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Voluntary non-profit - Church(225) 765-6565
- Ochsner Medical Center - Baton RougeAcute Care Hospitals 11.39 miles away17000 Medical Center Dr Baton Rouge Louisiana 70816Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 752-2470
- Womans HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.02 miles away100 Woman's Way Baton Rouge Louisiana 70817Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 927-1300
- Fmcna - Baker2.62 miles away4353 Groom Rd Baker Louisiana 70714CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (225) 775-0217
- Davita - Scotlandville Dialysis2.97 miles away7797 Howell Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70807Dialysis Stations: 18 (225) 357-6928
- Fmcna - Howell Place3.24 miles away7707 Howell Pl Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70807CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (225) 357-3798
- Fmcna - Airline3.91 miles away5948 Airline Hwy Baton Rouge Louisiana 70805CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (225) 357-9055
- Fmcna - Zachary Crossroad6.26 miles away4709 Secretary Dr Zachary Louisiana 70791CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (225) 654-1450
- Fmcna - Foster Dr Dialysis Svcs6.32 miles away1919 N Foster Dr Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 354-1611
- Fmcna - Dialysis Services of Bon Carre7.2 miles away7656 Realtors Ave Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806Dialysis Stations: 20 (225) 216-0388
- Davita - Mid City Dialysis7.57 miles away2902 Florida Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70802Dialysis Stations: 13 (225) 766-0093