Baron House of Hueytown is a small nursing home located in Bessemer, Alabama. With an overall score of B+. After analyzing the other options in Bessemer, this looks like a higher quality option than the majority of them. This really is impressive since the city features plenty of decent nursing homes. Based on our assessment, you can do much worse than this facility. As you can see below, this nursing home also performed well in our category ratings. It's hard to find any major flaws in this nursing home's profile.
Baron House of Hueytown
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Best Nursing Home in Bessemer, Alabama Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well overall, this nursing home also earned a nearly flawless inspection report. Therefore, it received one of our highest scores in that category with an A+. Inspection scores are tied to datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this area typically have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this place had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility truly excelled in the area of long-term care, where we gave it a score of A-. Only a select group of facilities performed more favorably in this category. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccines. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 92.5 percent of its patients. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Baron House of Hueytown?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B+. Nursing scores are based largely on levels of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a protocol of turning residents more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we graded was short-term care. We awarded this nursing home one of our better grades in this area, with a grade of B. This nursing home turned out to be relatively strong in each category we looked at. Our short-term care grades are crucial for prospective residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a vast spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final item we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who returned home from the nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Baron House of Hueytown Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Baron House of Hueytown, 9.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of long-term patients who have pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Baron House of Hueytown, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Baron House of Hueytown, 3.13% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that suffered from a UTI. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Baron House of Hueytown, 19.45% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Baron House of Hueytown, 23.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Baron House of Hueytown, 1.27% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Baron House of Hueytown, 92.58% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Baron House of Hueytown, 12.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate the erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Baron House of Hueytown, 15.91% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care patients who maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Baron House of Hueytown, 15.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Baron House of Hueytown, 73.73% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Bessemer, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bessemer, Alabama has 4 other nursing homes
- Medical West, an Affiliate of Uab Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 5.14 miles away995 9th Avenue Southwest Bessemer Alabama 35021Government - Hospital District or Authority(205) 481-7000
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.55 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 10.82 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 10.98 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.09 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.76 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- St Vincent's BirminghamAcute Care Hospitals 11.84 miles away810 St Vincent's Drive Birmingham Alabama 35205Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-7000
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.95 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- Fmc Midfield Dialysis2.62 miles away613 Bessemer Super Highway Birmingham Alabama 35228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 481-0019
- Bessemer Dialysis3.59 miles away901 Westlake Mall Ste 101 Bessemer Alabama 35020Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 424-1848
- Jewel Dialysis3.9 miles away514 W. Town Plaza Bessemer Alabama 35020CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 481-4386
- Fmc Fairfield (Steel City)3.99 miles away6508 E. J. Oliver Blvd Fairfield Alabama 35064Dialysis Stations: 12 (205) 780-5122
- Bessemer Kidney Center5.1 miles away975 9th Ave Sw Suite 500 Bessemer Alabama 35022Dialysis Stations: 36 (205) 424-3757
- Ensley Dialysis6.14 miles away2630 Avenue E Birmingham Alabama 35218CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 786-1371
- Steel City Dialysis6.73 miles away1809 Avenue H Birmingham Alabama 35218Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 785-2972
- Fresenius Medical Care Mccalla, LLC8.06 miles away4748 Bell Hill Road Bessemer Alabama 35022Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 424-8528