Barnert Subacute Rehabilitation Center is one of just two facilities in Paterson, New Jersey. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of B+. A score of this caliber requires strong scores in most areas. Based on our assessment, you can do much worse than this facility. The best aspect of this nursing home's strong profile was its long-term care rating. Long-term care grades are discussed in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Barnert Subacute Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Paterson senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Paterson, New Jersey Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
On top of performing well overall, this facility received a very good long-term care rating as well. It received one of our better scores in that area with a B+. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 53.16456 percent of its residents. This is somewhat lower than we expected but still a decent percentage. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, at least this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
In addition, this nursing home also performed well in inspections, which is based on the facility's inspection reports. We gave it an B+ for that area. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Places with better grades in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Barnert Subacute Rehabilitation Center?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B+. We assessed the skill-level of nurses employed by the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of time the nurses were with patients, in computing our rating in this area. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed was short-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a favorable grade of B. With our short-term care score, we strive to forge a sound barometer for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we look at the nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Barnert Subacute Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Barnert Subacute Rehabilitation Center, 18.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Barnert Subacute Rehabilitation Center, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who had a fall leading to serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Barnert Subacute Rehabilitation Center, 1.37% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this metric may be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Barnert Subacute Rehabilitation Center, 1.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Barnert Subacute Rehabilitation Center, 3.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients that are administered antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Barnert Subacute Rehabilitation Center, 5.56% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Barnert Subacute Rehabilitation Center, 47.63% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Barnert Subacute Rehabilitation Center, 12.82% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Barnert Subacute Rehabilitation Center, 15.8% of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who retained mobility levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Barnert Subacute Rehabilitation Center, 15.8% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Barnert Subacute Rehabilitation Center, 13.93% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Barnert Subacute Rehabilitation Center, 89.92% of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements.
- St Joseph's University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.62 miles away703 Main St Paterson New Jersey 07503Voluntary non-profit - Church(973) 754-2010
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.2 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- Hackensack University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.02 miles away30 Prospect Ave Hackensack New Jersey 07601Voluntary non-profit - Private(551) 996-2000
- Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.08 miles away223 N Van Dien Avenue Ridgewood New Jersey 07450Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 447-8000
- Bergen New Bridge Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.14 miles away230 East Ridgewood Ave Paramus New Jersey 07652Government - Local(201) 967-4000
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 6.64 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- Holy Name Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.4 miles away718 Teaneck Rd Teaneck New Jersey 07666Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 833-3000
- Hackensack Meridian Health Pascack Valley MedicalAcute Care Hospitals 8.2 miles away250 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Proprietary(201) 383-1035
- Davita East Paterson0.04 miles away680 Broadway Ste 103 Paterson New Jersey 07514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 357-8079
- Ara Great Falls Dialysis, LLC0.61 miles away498 East 30th Street Paterson New Jersey 07504CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 569-0500
- St. Joseph's Paterson Dialysis1.42 miles away11 Getty Avenue 275 Hospital Plaza Paterson New Jersey 07503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 60 (973) 684-3490
- St. Joseph's Sjrmc Dialysis1.62 miles away703 Main Street r2n Paterson New Jersey 07503Dialysis Stations: 8 (973) 754-3570
- Davita Radburn Dialysis2.03 miles away15-00 Pollitt Drive Fair Lawn New Jersey 07410CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (201) 796-1385
- Davita Fairlawn Dialysis2.1 miles away18-01 Pollitt Drive Fair Lawn New Jersey 07410CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (201) 796-3873
- Ara Clifton Dialysis Center3 miles away251 Clifton Avenue Unit A Clifton New Jersey 07011Dialysis Stations: 13 (973) 546-3750
- Woodland Park Dialysis Center3.33 miles away1225 Mcbride Ave Suite 100 Little Falls New Jersey 07424CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 890-2394