Barclay Friends is a facility in West Chester, Pennsylvania, which has a population of 105,091 people. With an A overall grade, we ranked this facility in the top ten percent of all nursing homes in the nation. We really couldn't find many bad things to say about this nursing home. Its grades are as good as they get. Keep reading to find this place's category grades, which are equally impressive. You just can't do much better than a straight A report card.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on West Chester senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in West Chester, Pennsylvania Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its superb profile, this facility also excelled in our short-term care category. In fact, it received a grade of A for that area. Short-term care grades are often used to assess a facility's rehabilitation services. To offer quality rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents that returned home from this facility. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Barclay Friends?
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to point out the fact that this nursing home was awarded a strong grade of A in our long-term care category. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in long-term care it generally means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 96.72131 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
In the final category we scored, this facility was awarded a very favorable grade of A- in our nursing category. With this score, the nursing home completed a straight A profile. Our nursing score is largely tied to a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as having a system of turning a resident more often.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Barclay Friends Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Barclay Friends, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Barclay Friends, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Barclay Friends, 1.85% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Barclay Friends, 15.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, such as dementia. Tragically, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Barclay Friends, 18.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Barclay Friends, 3.3% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Barclay Friends, 86.27% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Barclay Friends, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath. Many would argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Barclay Friends, 17.92% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care residents that maintained mobility.
In Barclay Friends, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to preserving the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Barclay Friends, 17.92 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Barclay Friends, 9.68 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Barclay Friends, 73.03% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Chester County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.35 miles away701 East Marshall Street West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 431-5000
- Paoli HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.59 miles away255 West Lancaster Avenue Paoli Pennsylvania 19301Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 648-1000
- Brandywine HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.91 miles away201 Reeceville Road Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Proprietary(610) 383-8000
- Riddle Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.06 miles away1068 West Baltimore Pike Media Pennsylvania 19063Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 566-9400
- Phoenixville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.96 miles away140 Nutt Road Phoenixville Pennsylvania 19460Proprietary(610) 983-1000
- Alfred I Dupont Hospital for ChildrenChildrens 13.38 miles away1600 Rockland Rd PO Box 269 Wilmington Delaware 19899Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 651-4000
- Main Line Hospital Bryn Mawr CampusAcute Care Hospitals 15.48 miles away130 South Bryn Mawr Ave Bryn Mawr Pennsylvania 19010Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 526-3000
- Delaware County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17 miles away501 North Lansdowne Ave Drexel Hill Pennsylvania 19026Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 284-8100
- Davita - Westtown Dialysis0.97 miles away105 Westtown Road West Chester Pennsylvania 19382CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 701-2492
- Fresenius Kidney Care - West Chester2.9 miles away1380 Enterprise Dr., Suite 300 West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 701-0103
- Dialyze Direct Pa LLC4.31 miles away495 Thomas Jones Way, Suite 300 Exton Pennsylvania 19341Dialysis Stations: 1 (484) 870-9260
- Renal Treatment Centers Mid Atlantic Inc7.73 miles away4 Industrial Boulevard, Suite 155 Paoli Pennsylvania 19301Dialysis Stations: 9 (610) 644-3941
- Davita - Thorndale Dialysis7.79 miles away3243 Lincoln Highway Thorndale Pennsylvania 19372CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 384-3902
- Davita Healthcare Partners, Inc.8.91 miles away265 Wilmington West Chester Pike Chadds Ford Pennsylvania 19317Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 558-6965
- Riddle Dialysis Center9.96 miles away100 Granite Drive, Suite 106 Media Pennsylvania 19063CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (610) 892-4701
- Bio-Medical Applications of Delaware Inc10.38 miles away1417 Foulk Road Wilmington Delaware 19803Dialysis Stations: 12 (302) 479-7130