Barclay Friends is a facility in West Chester, Pennsylvania, which has a population of 105,091 people. We gave this nursing home a phenomenal overall rating of A. As a matter of fact, it proved to be one of the three highest graded nursing homes in the city. We really couldn't find many negative things to say about this place. Its ratings are as good as they get. Scroll down to see this facility's category ratings, which are also quite good. It would be hard to poke holes in this facility's profile.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Best Nursing Home in West Chester, Pennsylvania Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with a strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home an A+ for our inspections rating. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few relatively minor dings are not something to panic about.
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this facility fared very well in our short-term care category. We awarded them a dominant grade of A+ in this area. Short-term care grades are crucial for patients in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a broad scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Barclay Friends?
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. In computing a facility's nursing score, we look at the number of hours nurses are caring for patients and the level of licensure of those nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we graded turned out to be this facility's poorest category. However, even its worst category would actually be a strength for many facilities. In fact, we gave it a favorable grade of B for our long-term care category. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. After we finished looking at the volume of nursing care, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 98.206276 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia is too frequently a deadly illness for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a nursing home does not leave this to chance. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Barclay Friends Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Barclay Friends, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Barclay Friends, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Barclay Friends, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic may be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Barclay Friends, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Barclay Friends, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Barclay Friends, 3.12% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are showing symptoms of depression. Many argue this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Barclay Friends, 88.22% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Barclay Friends, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Barclay Friends, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Barclay Friends, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Barclay Friends, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Barclay Friends, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Barclay Friends, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living generally correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for West Chester, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? West Chester, Pennsylvania has 4 other nursing homes
- Chester County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.35 miles away701 East Marshall Street West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 431-5000
- Paoli HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.59 miles away255 West Lancaster Avenue Paoli Pennsylvania 19301Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 648-1000
- Brandywine HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.91 miles away201 Reeceville Road Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Proprietary(610) 383-8000
- Riddle Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.06 miles away1068 West Baltimore Pike Media Pennsylvania 19063Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 566-9400
- Phoenixville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.96 miles away140 Nutt Road Phoenixville Pennsylvania 19460Proprietary(610) 983-1000
- Alfred I Dupont Hospital for ChildrenChildrens 13.38 miles away1600 Rockland Rd PO Box 269 Wilmington Delaware 19899Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 651-4000
- Main Line Hospital Bryn Mawr CampusAcute Care Hospitals 15.48 miles away130 South Bryn Mawr Ave Bryn Mawr Pennsylvania 19010Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 526-3000
- Delaware County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17 miles away501 North Lansdowne Ave Drexel Hill Pennsylvania 19026Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 284-8100
- Davita - Westtown Dialysis0.97 miles away105 Westtown Road West Chester Pennsylvania 19382CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 701-2492
- Fresenius Kidney Care - West Chester2.9 miles away1380 Enterprise Dr., Suite 300 West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 701-0103
- Dialyze Direct Pa LLC4.31 miles away495 Thomas Jones Way, Suite 300 Exton Pennsylvania 19341Dialysis Stations: 1 (484) 870-9260
- Renal Treatment Centers Mid Atlantic Inc7.73 miles away4 Industrial Boulevard, Suite 155 Paoli Pennsylvania 19301Dialysis Stations: 9 (610) 644-3941
- Davita - Thorndale Dialysis7.79 miles away3243 Lincoln Highway Thorndale Pennsylvania 19372CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 384-3902
- Davita Healthcare Partners, Inc.8.91 miles away265 Wilmington West Chester Pike Chadds Ford Pennsylvania 19317Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 558-6965
- Riddle Dialysis Center9.96 miles away100 Granite Drive, Suite 106 Media Pennsylvania 19063CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (610) 892-4701
- Bio-Medical Applications of Delaware Inc10.38 miles away1417 Foulk Road Wilmington Delaware 19803Dialysis Stations: 12 (302) 479-7130