Bancroft Convalescent Hospital is a small nursing home located in San Leandro, California. We gave this facility a B overall, which is a quality score. We were equally impressed that San Leandro received a B+ city grade, making this one of the best places to find a nursing home. In our view, this place is a solid choice for quite a few people. One of the better aspects of this facility's report card is its strong long-term care grade, which you can find in the next section.
Bancroft Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Occupational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a strong overall grade, this facility fared well in our long-term care category. We awarded it an A+ for that category, which is one of our highest scores. When facilities receive this kind of score in long-term care it is usually a good sign for resident care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. One of the factors we considered after nursing hours was vaccinations. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a reliable method to minimize unnecessary hospitalizations for the aged 65 and up population. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
In addition, this facility also earned top notch inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with an A-. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection scores. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively minor. Although this place had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Bancroft Convalescent Hospital?
In addition, this facility also received favorable nursing grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. There are many criteria included in this grade. Many of these criteria are tied to staffing levels. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we assessed was short-term care, which turned out to be this facility's least impressive category. We gave this nursing home a D in this category. Of course, this category pulled down the nursing home's overall grade a bit. Short-term care ratings are important for people looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates additional highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a broad spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. The last metric we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients that returned home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its residents returning home. This was well below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bancroft Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used to treat several conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients that were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 95.44% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for San Leandro, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? San Leandro, California has 7 other nursing homes
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.82 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 1.78 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.39 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.93 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.23 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 9.18 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.23 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 10.26 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro0.92 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011
- Rai E. 14th1.12 miles away198 East 14th St San Leandro California 94577Dialysis Stations: 21 (510) 430-8311
- Rai Bancroft1.43 miles away6955 Foothill Blvd. Ste 220 Oakland California 94605Dialysis Stations: 26 (510) 553-1333
- San Leandro Marina Dialysis Center1.85 miles away2551 Merced St San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 352-1207
- Satellite Dialysis West San Leandro1.86 miles away2401 Merced St Suite 110 San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 746-3900
- San Leandro Dialysis2.07 miles away15555 East 14th Street Suite 520 San Leandro California 94578CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 317-6510
- East Bay Peritoneal Dialysis2.3 miles away13939 E 14th Street Ste 110 San Leandro California 94578Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 614-1380
- Alameda County Dialysis Center4.02 miles away10700 Macarthur Blvd. Building 7 Oakland California 94605CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 568-5849