Bancroft Convalescent Hospital is a small nursing home located in San Leandro, California. This facility received a grade of B overall. We found it to be better than most of the facilities in San Leandro, which has a city grade of B-. At the end of the day, this nursing home looks like a solid choice for most people. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category was long-term care, which is discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Bancroft Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on San Leandro senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Occupational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a strong overall score, this facility also received an elite long-term care score. We awarded it one of our better scores in that area, with an A+. When nursing homes receive this kind of score in long-term care it is a good sign for resident care and suggests that the facility is well-staffed with nurses and aids. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 99.17355 percent of its residents, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly can be a life threatening ailment for nursing home patients so we like it when a nursing home does not take any chances. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Adding to its impressive profile, this nursing home also performed at a high level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it earned one of our highest grades in that category with an A-. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection ratings. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some can be relatively minor. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Bancroft Convalescent Hospital?
Turning to the category of nursing care, this facility didn't perform quite as well in this area as some of the categories discussed above. Nevertheless, a grade of B- in this category is by no means a bad score. There are many factors within this grade. Many of these factors reflect the quantity of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily, which is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. In fact, it scored well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed was short-term care. We awarded this facility a D for our short-term care category, leaving this as the nursing home's worst category. In computing our short-term care grades, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to create a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. In this facility's case, we found that it offers less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the average facility. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bancroft Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients which have had falls which caused major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically required. However, some facilities need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term patients who are given antianxiety medication. These medications are given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 5.83% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some experts argue this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 95.65% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Many argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Scores for San Leandro, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? San Leandro, California has 3 other nursing homes
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.82 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 1.78 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.39 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.93 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.23 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 9.18 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.23 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 10.26 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro0.92 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011
- Rai E. 14th1.12 miles away198 East 14th St San Leandro California 94577Dialysis Stations: 21 (510) 430-8311
- Rai Bancroft1.43 miles away6955 Foothill Blvd. Ste 220 Oakland California 94605Dialysis Stations: 26 (510) 553-1333
- San Leandro Marina Dialysis Center1.85 miles away2551 Merced St San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 352-1207
- Satellite Dialysis West San Leandro1.86 miles away2401 Merced St Suite 110 San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 746-3900
- San Leandro Dialysis2.07 miles away15555 East 14th Street Suite 520 San Leandro California 94578CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 317-6510
- East Bay Peritoneal Dialysis2.3 miles away13939 E 14th Street Ste 110 San Leandro California 94578Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 614-1380
- Alameda County Dialysis Center4.02 miles away10700 Macarthur Blvd. Building 7 Oakland California 94605CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 568-5849