Bancroft Convalescent Hospital is a small nursing home located in San Leandro, California. This is a quality nursing home with a grade of B+ overall. We were pleased to learn that many of the other nursing homes in San Leandro received similar grades. In our view, this place is a solid choice for quite a few people. One of the better aspects of this facility's report card is its strong long-term care grade, which you can find in the next section.
Bancroft Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Occupational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ in the area of long-term care. When nursing homes receive this type of score in long-term care it is a good sign for patient care and suggests that the facility is well-staffed with nurses and aids. One of the datapoints we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccines. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 98.52941 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a great way to minimize unnecessary hospitalizations for the nursing home population. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
This nursing home also performed well in inspections, which is based on its government inspections. In fact, we gave it an A for that category, which is one of our top grades. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Bancroft Convalescent Hospital?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B. The nursing grade includes quite a few datapoints, most of which are based on nursing hours. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth category, we gave this facility a D for short-term care. This was the facility's worst category grade. Nevertheless, we would not focus exclusively a single weak area. Our short-term care scores are believed to be most important for folks requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually mandates more skilled nursing. This means not merely nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. It looks like this facility was below average in many staffing metrics we looked at. It supplied fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most facilities. The final item we looked at in this category is the number of patients who returned home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 0 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bancroft Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term care residents who are suffering from pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are often associated with poor nursing care. More supervision reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. However, this datapoint could also be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for a variety of conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 4.33% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are showing signs of depression. Increased rates of depression may imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 95.72% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bancroft Convalescent Hospital, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Scores for San Leandro, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? San Leandro, California has 7 other nursing homes
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.82 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 1.78 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.39 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.93 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.23 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 9.18 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.23 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 10.26 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro0.92 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011
- Rai E. 14th1.12 miles away198 East 14th St San Leandro California 94577Dialysis Stations: 21 (510) 430-8311
- Rai Bancroft1.43 miles away6955 Foothill Blvd. Ste 220 Oakland California 94605Dialysis Stations: 26 (510) 553-1333
- San Leandro Marina Dialysis Center1.85 miles away2551 Merced St San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 352-1207
- Satellite Dialysis West San Leandro1.86 miles away2401 Merced St Suite 110 San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 746-3900
- San Leandro Dialysis2.07 miles away15555 East 14th Street Suite 520 San Leandro California 94578CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 317-6510
- East Bay Peritoneal Dialysis2.3 miles away13939 E 14th Street Ste 110 San Leandro California 94578Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 614-1380
- Alameda County Dialysis Center4.02 miles away10700 Macarthur Blvd. Building 7 Oakland California 94605CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 568-5849