Balmoral Nursing Home is located in Chicago, Illinois, which features a variety of nursing homes. We gave it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the road grade. Based on our assessment, this place looks like a good fit for most people. The best part of this place's report card is its exemplary inspection reports. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Balmoral Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Chicago senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this nursing home really outperformed its overall grade in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, we gave it one of our best scores in that category with an A. Arguably the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's long-term care grade turns out to be one of its best scores. The nursing home was given a grade of B- in this category. In forming these long-term care scores, we look at the nursing home's personal care services. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Candidly, we were a bit concerned this facility vaccinated a relatively low 71.636955 percent of its patients. Nevertheless, this nursing home keeps its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Balmoral Nursing Home?
This nursing home's next best category was nursing. We awarded it a grade of B- in this category. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this category. Our nursing rating focuses on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of skill of those nurses and the number of hours spent with residents. This particular nursing home provided just 0.2 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This figure is far below the national average. Finally, despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this facility actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is usually a reliable indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the next area, this facility was awarded a decent short-term care grade of C. In the category of short-term care, we strive to qualify indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents that returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. This figure was below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Balmoral Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Balmoral Nursing Home, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Balmoral Nursing Home, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of long-term residents that experienced a fall leading to serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Balmoral Nursing Home, 2.49% of Patients had UTIs
This measures the percentage of long-term patients who suffered from a UTI. UTI's could be an indication of poor nursing care. However, this metric may also be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Balmoral Nursing Home, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Balmoral Nursing Home, 19.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Balmoral Nursing Home, 31.81% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. Many in the industry argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Balmoral Nursing Home, 87.05% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Balmoral Nursing Home, 13.3% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Many would argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Balmoral Nursing Home, 14.44% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Balmoral Nursing Home, 1.92 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Balmoral Nursing Home, 14.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Balmoral Nursing Home, 13.66 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 38 other nursing homes
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 0.68 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.96 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 1.71 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.88 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.32 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.07 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.36 miles away836 West Wellington Avenue Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 975-1600
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 3.9 miles away2900 North Lake Shore Drive Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 665-3000
- Fmc - Na Lakeview Dialysis1.65 miles away4008 North Broadway Ave., Suite 1200 Chicago Illinois 60613Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 248-3105
- Fmc - Uptown1.81 miles away4700 N. Marine Drive, Suite 204 Chicago Illinois 60640CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 989-8082
- Nephron Dialysis Center, Ltd.2.25 miles away5140 N. California Ave. Suite 510 Chicago Illinois 60625Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 293-2100
- Fmc - Northcenter Dialysis2.38 miles away2620 W. Addison St. Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 248-0462
- Davita Irving Park Dialysis2.76 miles away4323 N Pulaski Road Chicago Illinois 60641Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 279-8714
- Fmc - Rogers Park2.76 miles away2277 W Howard St Chicago Illinois 60645CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (773) 262-7147
- Davita - Logan Square Dialysis Svcs Inc3.63 miles away2838 N Kimball Ave Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (773) 342-3738
- Davita - Lincoln Park Nephrology Assn, Sc3.69 miles away2484 N. Elston Ave Chicago Illinois 60647CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (773) 278-4403