Located in Temple City, California, Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center is one of just a few available facilities in this city. This is a decent facility, with an overall grade of C. Based on our assessment, there are definitely much worse facilities out there. One of the highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection score, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Temple City senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to emphasize its nearly flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A- in this category. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place was assessed 9 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This tells you that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next most favorable category is its long-term care grade, where it was given a grade of B-. In computing our long-term care ratings, we size up the assistance with daily living received by the facility's patients. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. We were optimistic to learn that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. Our nursing grade includes many subcategories, most of which are associated with levels of nurse staffing. This particular facility provided just 0.5 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This figure is far below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. It performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we rated was short-term care, turned out to be this nursing home's least impressive area. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D in this area. Short-term care grades are often used to judge a facility's performance with rehabilitation. To provide highly graded rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must offer higher levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. With a grade this poor for this area, we weren't stunned to find this place was below average in two of the key staffing metrics we focus on. The facility supplied far fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The last datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 4.2 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 10.31% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 1.02% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls resulting in injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 8.06% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can reduce the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 8.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 32.12% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are generally prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 9.39% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 100% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 9.56% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 11.54% of Residents
This is the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 11.54% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 13.02% of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 79.1% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 2 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.99 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.6 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.97 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.2 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.24 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 9.63 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.84 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- Temple City Dialysis Facility, Inc.1.34 miles away9945 Lower Azusa Road Temple City California 91780CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 442-3400
- Davita-Arcadia Oaks Dialysis2.06 miles away721 W Huntington Drive, Suite a-D Arcadia California 91007CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 294-9682
- Davita-Rosemead Springs Dialysis Center3.23 miles away3212 Rosemead Blvd. El Monte California 91731CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (626) 280-2080
- San Gabriel Nephrology Services, LLC3.29 miles away801 S. San Gabriel Blvd. San Gabriel California 91776CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (626) 285-1830
- Davita-Pasadena Foothills Dialysis Center3.47 miles away3722 E. Colorado Blvd. Pasadena California 91107CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 432-4331
- Davita-Greater El Monte Dialysis Center3.5 miles away1938 Tyler Avenue, Suite J-168 South El Monte California 91733CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (626) 350-6692
- Mountain View Dialysis Center, Inc.3.75 miles away900 S. Mountain Avenue Monrovia California 91016Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 932-1810
- Fmc-El Monte3.83 miles away11204 E. Rush Street South El Monte California 91733Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 582-1121