Located in Temple City, California, Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center is one of only three available facilities in this city. This is not a bad nursing home with a C overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Temple City. Based on our analysis, there are certainly much worse places out there. One of the highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
We want to draw your attention to the fact that this facility really outperformed its overall grade in the category of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest scores in that area with a grade of A-. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this category typically have few severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This means that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more favorable category grades was in the area of long-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a B+. It actually performed better than most nursing homes in this category. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are kept in good health. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center?
Another strength of this nursing home is its favorable grade in nursing. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with an D. When calculating our nursing grades, we look at both nursing hours and the skill levels of those nurses. With just 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were far below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This nursing home fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we assessed is short-term care, which ended up being a weak spot for this nursing home. We awarded this facility a D for short-term care. In crafting our short-term care scores, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to devise a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. With a grade in this range for this category, we were not stunned to find that this facility was below average in multiple staffing metrics we looked at. In fact, it provided far fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 3.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term residents that suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Closer supervision limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term care patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 4.33% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 95.72% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and continence. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry would argue that mobility is vital to patients health.
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 2 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.99 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.6 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.97 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.2 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.24 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 9.63 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.84 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- Temple City Dialysis Facility, Inc.1.34 miles away9945 Lower Azusa Road Temple City California 91780CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 442-3400
- Davita-Arcadia Oaks Dialysis2.06 miles away721 W Huntington Drive, Suite a-D Arcadia California 91007CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 294-9682
- Davita-Rosemead Springs Dialysis Center3.23 miles away3212 Rosemead Blvd. El Monte California 91731CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (626) 280-2080
- San Gabriel Nephrology Services, LLC3.29 miles away801 S. San Gabriel Blvd. San Gabriel California 91776CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (626) 285-1830
- Davita-Pasadena Foothills Dialysis Center3.47 miles away3722 E. Colorado Blvd. Pasadena California 91107CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 432-4331
- Davita-Greater El Monte Dialysis Center3.5 miles away1938 Tyler Avenue, Suite J-168 South El Monte California 91733CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (626) 350-6692
- Mountain View Dialysis Center, Inc.3.75 miles away900 S. Mountain Avenue Monrovia California 91016Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 932-1810
- Fmc-El Monte3.83 miles away11204 E. Rush Street South El Monte California 91733Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 582-1121