Located in Temple City, California, Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center is one of only three available facilities in this city. This is a good nursing home with a B- overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Temple City. Based on our analysis, there are certainly much worse places out there. One of the highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
We want to draw your attention to the fact that this facility really outperformed its overall grade in the category of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest scores in that area with a grade of A-. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this category typically have few severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This means that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few relatively minor dings aren't necessarily something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we gave this nursing home a B+ in our long-term care category. This is one of our higher scores. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically provide patients with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. After we finished assessing the amount of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia can be a deadly ailment for nursing home residents so we prefer when a facility does not leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center?
One of this facility's better category grades was in the area of nursing care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of C. Nursing grades are heavily correlated with quality and quantity of nursing care. This facility provided just 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. In fact, it performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's least impressive area is short-term care, which is the final area we scored. For this area, we awarded this facility a D. In our short-term care grade, we attempt to craft a sound measure for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at a nursing home's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The last measure we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.2 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar statistics sunk this nursing home's short-term care grade.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percent of long-term residents who experienced a fall resulting in serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. However, this statistic can be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. These drugs are commonly prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 4.64% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents showing symptoms of depression. Many argue that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence. Some believe that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that remained mobile levels.
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Baldwin Gardens Nursing Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements.
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 2 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.99 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.6 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.97 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.2 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.24 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 9.63 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.84 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- Temple City Dialysis Facility, Inc.1.34 miles away9945 Lower Azusa Road Temple City California 91780CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 442-3400
- Davita-Arcadia Oaks Dialysis2.06 miles away721 W Huntington Drive, Suite a-D Arcadia California 91007CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 294-9682
- Davita-Rosemead Springs Dialysis Center3.23 miles away3212 Rosemead Blvd. El Monte California 91731CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (626) 280-2080
- San Gabriel Nephrology Services, LLC3.29 miles away801 S. San Gabriel Blvd. San Gabriel California 91776CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (626) 285-1830
- Davita-Pasadena Foothills Dialysis Center3.47 miles away3722 E. Colorado Blvd. Pasadena California 91107CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 432-4331
- Davita-Greater El Monte Dialysis Center3.5 miles away1938 Tyler Avenue, Suite J-168 South El Monte California 91733CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (626) 350-6692
- Mountain View Dialysis Center, Inc.3.75 miles away900 S. Mountain Avenue Monrovia California 91016Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 932-1810
- Fmc-El Monte3.83 miles away11204 E. Rush Street South El Monte California 91733Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 582-1121