Baldomero Lopez Memorial Veterans Nursing Home is a facility in Land O Lakes, Florida, which has 50,437 people. It looks like this nursing home is among the top nursing homes we found. Receiving an A+ in our rating scheme requires top-notch marks across the board. In fact, this nursing home has the distinction of being one of the 100 best facilities in Florida. This is an impressive achievement in a state with a long list of high-end nursing homes. As you will find below, this place performed just as well in our category ratings. In fact, we gave it straight A's!
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Baldomero Lopez Memorial Veterans Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Land O Lakes senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Government - State
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Land O Lakes, Florida Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Land O Lakes, Florida Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Land O Lakes, Florida Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize that this facility has received near flawless inspections recently. We awarded them an A+ in this category. Inspection scores weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this category usually have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. In fact, nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an A+. Our nursing score is based on several subcategories, many of which are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Baldomero Lopez Memorial Veterans Nursing Home?
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on our third category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for its long-term care grade. This is a first-rate score. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. One of the statistics we considered on top of nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 99.35691 percent of its residents. This is a proven method to minimize negative health outcomes for the nursing home population. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the last category, this facility was awarded an extremely favorable short-term care rating. We awarded it a grade of A- in this area, resulting in this facility receiving straight A's. In determining our short-term care scores, we assess a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. This category is more often than not a useful assessment of a facility's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Baldomero Lopez Memorial Veterans Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Baldomero Lopez Memorial Veterans Nursing Home, 9.19% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Baldomero Lopez Memorial Veterans Nursing Home, 2.87% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term residents who have sustained falls leading to serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Baldomero Lopez Memorial Veterans Nursing Home, 1.78% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Baldomero Lopez Memorial Veterans Nursing Home, 10.42% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for many medical conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Baldomero Lopez Memorial Veterans Nursing Home, 21.31% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Baldomero Lopez Memorial Veterans Nursing Home, 2.53% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents exhibiting signs of depression. Increased levels of depression may indicate lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Baldomero Lopez Memorial Veterans Nursing Home, 95.81% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Baldomero Lopez Memorial Veterans Nursing Home, 12.69% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Baldomero Lopez Memorial Veterans Nursing Home, 14.03% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term stay patients that remained mobile levels. Some would argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients physical and mental health.
In Baldomero Lopez Memorial Veterans Nursing Home, 2.07 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Baldomero Lopez Memorial Veterans Nursing Home, 14.03 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
- Adventhealth Wesley ChapelAcute Care Hospitals 6.93 miles away2600 Bruce B Downs Blvd Wesley Chapel Florida 33544Voluntary non-profit - Private(813) 929-5490
- North Tampa Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 8.23 miles away29910 Sr 56 Wesley Chapel Florida 33543Voluntary non-profit - Private(813) 333-0000
- Adventhealth TampaAcute Care Hospitals 12.56 miles away3100 E Fletcher Ave Tampa Florida 33613Voluntary non-profit - Private(813) 615-7200
- Medical Center of TrinityAcute Care Hospitals 13.5 miles away9330 Sr 54, Ste 401 New Port Richey Florida 34655Proprietary(727) 834-4900
- Adventhealth ZephyrhillsAcute Care Hospitals 15.98 miles away7050 Gall Blvd Zephyrhills Florida 33541Voluntary non-profit - Church(813) 788-0411
- Regional Medical Center Bayonet PointAcute Care Hospitals 16.36 miles away14000 Fivay Rd Hudson Florida 34667Proprietary(727) 819-2929
- Adventhealth Dade CityAcute Care Hospitals 16.72 miles away13100 Ft King Rd Dade City Florida 33525Proprietary(352) 568-3174
- Adventhealth CarrollwoodAcute Care Hospitals 16.85 miles away7171 N Dale Mabry Hwy Tampa Florida 33614Voluntary non-profit - Church(813) 932-2222
- Land O Lakes Dialysis4.65 miles away2100 via Bella Blvd Suite# 104 Land O Lakes Florida 34639CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (813) 948-8157
- Wesley Chapel Dialysis6.86 miles away27401 Cashford Circle #102 Wesley Chapel Florida 33544Dialysis Stations: 6 (813) 973-0153
- Dsi North Tampa Dialysis10.74 miles away3421 North Lakeview Drive Tampa Florida 33618Dialysis Stations: 17 (813) 261-1864
- Carrollwood Dialysis12.58 miles away14358 N Dale Mabry Hwy Tampa Florida 33618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (813) 960-3751
- Davita Trinity Dialysis13.37 miles away2870 Bund Ave New Port Richey Florida 34655Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 372-7742
- Physicians Dialysis Trinity13.46 miles away9332 State Road 54 Suite 306 New Port Richey Florida 34655Dialysis Stations: 13 (727) 848-0106
- Renal Care Group - North Tampa13.52 miles away12674 Telecom Drive Tampa Florida 33637Dialysis Stations: 24 (813) 971-7580
- Temple Terrace Dialysis14.01 miles away11306 53rd St Tampa Florida 33617CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (813) 989-2062