Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Haverhill, Massachusetts. This facility received an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack rating. This place has some things going for it. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection reports, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was not bad, it really excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next most favorable category was its long-term care grade, where it was awarded a B-. Our long-term care scores are based on the nursing home's amount of care. This includes a broad range of personal care services, ranging from assistance with activities of daily living to routine medical services. One of the statistics we considered after nurse's aid hours was vaccines. Candidly, we were a bit alarmed this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to a relatively low 89.08046 percent of its patients. On a more positive note, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at is short-term care, where this facility was given a C in this area. Our short-term care ratings are thought to be most meaningful for those requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually mandates additional highly-skilled nursing services. This means not only nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. We were surprised to find that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. In fact, it provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The final item we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who returned home from the facility. We found that just 5 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
The final area we analyzed is nursing. We awarded it a grade of C in this area. This is a fair grade in this area. When calculating a nursing home's nursing rating, we weigh the quantity of hours nurses commit to patients as well as the level of licensure of those nurses. This nursing home provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a somewhat alarming figure which is well below the national average. Lastly, our nursing grades also consider quality-based measures, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically a reliable indicator that a facility has quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses aids to assist its residents.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percent of long-term patients who had a fall which caused major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percent of long-term stay patients that had urinary tract infections. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this metric could also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.95% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 91.63% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom. Some believe this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Scores for Haverhill, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Haverhill, Massachusetts has 6 other nursing homes
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.45 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Anna Jaques HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.02 miles away25 Highland Avenue Newburyport Massachusetts 01950Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 463-1000
- Parkland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.72 miles away1 Parkland Drive Derry New Hampshire 03038Proprietary(603) 421-2100
- Exeter Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 16.17 miles away5 Alumni Drive Exeter New Hampshire 03833Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 778-7311
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.78 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Beverly Hospital CorporationAcute Care Hospitals 16.85 miles away85 Herrick Street Beverly Massachusetts 01915Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 922-3000
- North Shore Medical Center -Acute Care Hospitals 19.62 miles away81 Highland Avenue Salem Massachusetts 01970Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 741-1215
- Fresenius Medical Care of Methuen3.82 miles away421 Merrimack Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Dialysis Stations: 21 (978) 975-3117
- Fresenius Medical Care Merrimack Valley5.31 miles away100 Milk Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 686-9900
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home5.89 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire Inc9.28 miles away19 Keewadin Drive Suite 1 Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 1 (603) 870-0969
- Versailles Dialysis LLC9.47 miles away18 Pelham Road Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 870-9487
- Fmc of Newburyport9.53 miles away260 Merrimac Street Towle Building Newburyport Massachusetts 01950CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (978) 465-7030
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell14.87 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100
- Fresenius Medical Care Danvers15.14 miles away75 Newbury Street Danvers Massachusetts 01923Dialysis Stations: 13 (978) 774-0350