Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Haverhill, Massachusetts. This facility received an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack rating. This place has some things going for it. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection reports, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Haverhill senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was not bad, it really excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, we gave this nursing home a B in our long-term care category. This is one of our better scores. For prospective residents seeking a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are a key measure. One of the statistics we considered after nursing hours is vaccines. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 73.86364 percent of its patients. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, we were pleased to find nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Another strength of this facility is its favorable grade in nursing. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a score of D. There are several factors within this grade. Most of the factors reflect staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This nursing home fared well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these statistics to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the next category, this nursing home really did not perform well. With a rock bottom grade of F in short-term care, this is its worst category grade. In calculating our short-term care scores, we assess the facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This rating is frequently a solid assessment of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. With a score of this caliber in this area, we were not stunned to discover that this place was well below average in many staffing areas we assess. The nursing home offered significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who ultimately returned home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 6.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term care residents who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.77% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are often associated with poor nursing care. More supervision can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.05% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with poor nursing care. However, this statistic could be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 19.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 18.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.48% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 91.39% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 16.21% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.75% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Baker-Katz Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.2 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.45 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Anna Jaques HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.02 miles away25 Highland Avenue Newburyport Massachusetts 01950Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 463-1000
- Parkland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.72 miles away1 Parkland Drive Derry New Hampshire 03038Proprietary(603) 421-2100
- Exeter Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 16.17 miles away5 Alumni Drive Exeter New Hampshire 03833Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 778-7311
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.78 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Beverly Hospital CorporationAcute Care Hospitals 16.85 miles away85 Herrick Street Beverly Massachusetts 01915Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 922-3000
- North Shore Medical Center -Acute Care Hospitals 19.62 miles away81 Highland Avenue Salem Massachusetts 01970Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 741-1215
- Fresenius Medical Care of Methuen3.82 miles away421 Merrimack Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Dialysis Stations: 21 (978) 975-3117
- Fresenius Medical Care Merrimack Valley5.31 miles away100 Milk Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 686-9900
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home5.89 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire Inc9.28 miles away19 Keewadin Drive Suite 1 Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 1 (603) 870-0969
- Versailles Dialysis LLC9.47 miles away18 Pelham Road Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 870-9487
- Fmc of Newburyport9.53 miles away260 Merrimac Street Towle Building Newburyport Massachusetts 01950CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (978) 465-7030
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell14.87 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100
- Fresenius Medical Care Danvers15.14 miles away75 Newbury Street Danvers Massachusetts 01923Dialysis Stations: 13 (978) 774-0350