Brook at High Falls is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Rochester, New York with a population of 478,127 people. Sporting an overall score of D, this is a lower end facility. This nursing home seems to have very little working in its favor. If you aren't deterred by this facility's report card, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category scores. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Brook at High Falls
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
2150 St Paul Street,
Rochester NY 14621
91.78% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home's overall score, it received a very impressive inspection report this year. In fact, it received an excellent inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our best grades in that category with an A. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these end up being relatively minor. Although this place had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
The second best category we awarded this nursing home in any category came in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a C. In determining our short-term care scores, we size up a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. This category is more often than not a reliable assessment of a facility's rehabilitation. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. The last statistic we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Brook at High Falls?
Long-term Care Quality
We gave this nursing home a grade of just D for our long-term care rating. This is not a score to write home about. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of care provided by nurses, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. We were a bit concerned this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 72.5 percent of its residents against pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Moving on to our final area, this facility really didn't perform very well in this area either. With an abysmal grade of F in nursing, this is just about as terrible as it gets. The nursing grade assesses many factors, however, the paramount consideration is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is not a very impressive figure. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This place fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these metrics to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brook at High Falls Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brook at High Falls, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term patients which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brook at High Falls, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brook at High Falls, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term care patients who experienced UTI's. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brook at High Falls, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brook at High Falls, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brook at High Falls, 13.2% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brook at High Falls, 91.26% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brook at High Falls, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brook at High Falls, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that retained mobility levels. Some argue that the ability to move around is critical to residents' mental and physical health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brook at High Falls, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brook at High Falls, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brook at High Falls, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Rochester, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Rochester, New York has 21 other nursing homes
- Rochester General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.68 miles away1425 Portland Avenue Rochester New York 14621Voluntary non-profit - Private(585) 922-4000
- Unity Hospital of RochesterAcute Care Hospitals 4.19 miles away1555 Long Pond Road Rochester New York 14626Voluntary non-profit - Private(585) 723-7000
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.19 miles away1000 South Avenue Rochester New York 14620Voluntary non-profit - Private(585) 341-6736
- Strong Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.98 miles away601 Elmwood Ave Rochester New York 14642Voluntary non-profit - Private(585) 275-2121
- Rochester General Hospital Dialysis Center0.48 miles away370 Ridge Road East Ste. 10 Rochester New York 14621CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (585) 922-0300
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.1.33 miles away999 E. Ridge Road Suite 11 Rochester New York 14621Dialysis Stations: 25 (585) 266-7348
- Unity Hospital of Rochester - St. Mary's3.44 miles away89 Genesee Street St. Mary's Campus Dialysis Rochester New York 14611Dialysis Stations: 21 (585) 368-3934
- Fms - Greece Dialysis Center4.2 miles away1570 Long Pond Road Rochester New York 14626CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (585) 225-1422
- Unity Hospital of Rochester - Park Ridge Campus4.3 miles away1555 Long Pond Road Rochester New York 14626CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (585) 723-7760
- University of Rochester5.1 miles away601 Elmwood Ave Rochester New York 14642Dialysis Stations: 2 (585) 275-2829
- Fms-Monroe Community Dialysis5.73 miles away435 East Henrietta Road Hope Bldg Rochester New York 14620Dialysis Stations: 16 (585) 292-0076
- Rochester General Hospital - Bay Creek Dialysis Center5.86 miles away2010 Empire Boulevard Webster New York 14580CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (585) 922-0580