Bainbridge Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home located in Bronx, New York. Featuring an overall rating of B, this looks like a fine option. In spite of Bronx having 45 nursing homes to choose from, this nursing home turns out to be a quality option. This facility's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Bainbridge Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this nursing home performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A+. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. While this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was given an impressive long-term care grade. In fact, we gave it an above average grade of B+ in this category. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care typically provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of nursing care, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 98.32869 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is too frequently a life or death health condition for nursing home patients so we prefer when a facility does not take any chances. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Bainbridge Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third best area we gave this nursing home in any area came in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a grade of B-. Our short-term care grades are presumably more meaningful for residents requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually well below average.
Switching gears to our last area, we awarded this facility a grade of D for our nursing category. This was the facility's worst category grade. Unfortunately, this grade pulled down the facility's overall profile to some degree. Our nursing grade weighs many data points, most of which are associated with quantities of nurse staffing. This place offered a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This place performed well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these metrics to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bainbridge Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bainbridge Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bainbridge Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bainbridge Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bainbridge Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bainbridge Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients which are administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bainbridge Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 13.2% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bainbridge Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 91.26% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bainbridge Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bainbridge Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Bainbridge Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bainbridge Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bainbridge Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bainbridge Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 44 other nursing homes
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.16 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.15 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.3 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Montefiore Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.96 miles away12 North 7th Avenue Mount Vernon New York 10550Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 664-8000
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.47 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.75 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Englewood Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.85 miles away350 Engle St Englewood New Jersey 07631Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 894-3000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.1 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc0.67 miles away3525 White Plains Road Ste. A Bronx New York 10467Dialysis Stations: 1 (718) 652-1013
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc0.67 miles away3525 White Plains Road, Suite B Bronx New York 10467CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 547-4562
- Davita Bedford Park Dialysis Center0.7 miles away3119 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10467CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 920-1530
- Montefiore Medical Center - Wakefield Hospital1.27 miles away600 East 233rd Street Hemodialysis Unit Bronx New York 10466Dialysis Stations: 8 (718) 920-9041
- Davita Allerton Dialysis1.29 miles away2554 White Plains Rd Bronx New York 10467Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 231-1285
- Davita Riverdale Dialysis Center1.31 miles away170 W. 233rd Street Bronx New York 10463CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (718) 884-4300
- Bronx River Nephro Care at the Plaza Rehab & Nursing Center1.56 miles away100 West Kingsbridge Road Bronx New York 10468Dialysis Stations: 15 (347) 982-2420
- Davita Laconia Dialysis1.57 miles away3440 Boston Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 798-0538