Azalea Health and Rehab is located in the large metropolitan area of Mobile, Alabama. Featuring an overall rating of A-, this nursing home is one of the better nursing homes we assessed. This grade is higher than the city grade of B+ in Mobile, which is also an impressive grade. The best aspect of this facility's strong profile is its inspection grade. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph
Azalea Health and Rehab
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Alabama Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
With an overall grade this high, it should come as no surprise that this nursing home performed well in inspections, where it received an A. Arguably the most important factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Places with better scores in this area typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was strong in the category of short-term care, where we awarded it a score of A-. Very few facilities performed better in this area. In determining our short-term care scores, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our purpose is to formulate a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Azalea Health and Rehab?
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. The nursing grade is based on quite a few factors, but the most important one is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our final area, this nursing home was awarded an acceptable long-term care grade. Although this is not as dominant as several of its other category grades, this is truly not a terrible score. In calculating these long-term care grades, we quantify the nursing home's ability to maintain its permanent residents' health and quality of life. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 97.132614 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. This place keeps its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Azalea Health and Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Azalea Health and Rehab, 9.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure measures the percent of long-term stay residents which have pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Azalea Health and Rehab, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Azalea Health and Rehab, 3.13% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing can reduce the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Azalea Health and Rehab, 19.45% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Azalea Health and Rehab, 23.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Azalea Health and Rehab, 1.27% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Azalea Health and Rehab, 92.58% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Azalea Health and Rehab, 12.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Azalea Health and Rehab, 15.91% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Azalea Health and Rehab, 1.62 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Azalea Health and Rehab, 15.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Azalea Health and Rehab, 73.73% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living typically correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Mobile, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Mobile, Alabama has 10 other nursing homes
- Mobile Infirmary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.31 miles away5 Mobile Infirmary Circle Mobile Alabama 36652Voluntary non-profit - Private(251) 435-4700
- Usa Health Children's & Women's HospitalChildrens 0.42 miles away1700 Center Street Mobile Alabama 36604Government - State(251) 415-1000
- University of South Alabama Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.5 miles away2451 Fillingim Street Mobile Alabama 36617Government - State(251) 471-7110
- Springhill Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3 miles away3719 Dauphin Street Mobile Alabama 36608Proprietary(251) 344-9630
- Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7 miles away6801 Airport Boulevard Mobile Alabama 36608Voluntary non-profit - Church(251) 633-1000
- Eastpointe HospitalPsychiatric 11.63 miles away7400 Roper Lane Daphne Alabama 36526Voluntary non-profit - Other(251) 378-6500
- Thomas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.3 miles away750 Morphy Avenue Fairhope Alabama 36532Voluntary non-profit - Private(251) 928-2375
- Bio-Medical Applications of Alabama Inc0.56 miles away65 North Catherine Street Mobile Alabama 36604CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (251) 441-0868
- Fmc Mobile1.22 miles away2620 Old Shell Rd Mobile Alabama 36607CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (251) 476-2762
- Fmc East Mobile1.23 miles away1217 Government St Mobile Alabama 36604CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (251) 438-6917
- Fmc Jaguar1.36 miles away575 Stanton Road Unit B Mobile Alabama 36617CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (251) 476-0502
- Fmc Port City2.29 miles away201 St. Joseph Street, Suite B Mobile Alabama 36602Dialysis Stations: 20 (251) 652-1025
- Fmc Prichard4.59 miles away4016 Hwy 45 Eight Mile Alabama 36613CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (251) 330-1623
- Fmc Dauphin Island Pkwy4.76 miles away2381 Dauphin Island Parkway Mobile Alabama 36605CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (251) 471-2505
- Fmc University South Alabama5.81 miles away700 Clinic Drive Mobile Alabama 36688Dialysis Stations: 22 (251) 460-6797