Avon Place is an average-sized facility in Avon, Ohio. Featuring an overall score of B-, this is likely a decent nursing home. Based on our assessment, this place would be a solid choice for quite a few people. The best part of this facility's report card was its stellar inspection score. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Avon senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was decent, it really excelled in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category, which is one of our best scores. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given a positive grade in our short-term care category. We gave this facility a better than average grade of B in that category. In determining our short-term care ratings, we look at a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This category is generally a fair measure of the facility's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final statistic we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Avon Place?
Long-term Care Quality
The third most favorable area we awarded this nursing home in any category came in the area of long-term care, where we awarded it a C. Long-term care grades assess a nursing home's assistance with daily living rather than the skilled nursing or healthcare services that are critical to a skilled nursing facility. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 92.61993 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is a bit below what we expected but still a respectable percentage. On a more positive note, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Moving on to the next category, this facility was awarded a decent nursing grade of C. When computing a nursing home's nursing grade, we weigh the amount of time nurses are with patients as well as the levels of training of those nurses. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, while this facility got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of our quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared remarkably well in this metric.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avon Place Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avon Place, 6.38% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avon Place, 0.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percent of long-term stay residents who had falls which caused severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avon Place, 0.37% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avon Place, 19.31% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications may be used to treat several conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avon Place, 26.09% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avon Place, 36.72% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avon Place, 89.27% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avon Place, 18.48% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avon Place, 8.61% of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that retained mobility levels.
In Avon Place, 0.04 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avon Place, 8.61% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avon Place, 3.03% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avon Place, 74.28% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Uh St John Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.41 miles away29000 Center Ridge Road Westlake Ohio 44145Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 835-8000
- Fairview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.22 miles away18101 Lorain Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44111Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 476-7000
- Southwest General Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.47 miles away18697 Bagley Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 816-6701
- Mercy Health-Lorain HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.2 miles away3700 Kolbe Road Lorain Ohio 44053Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 960-4000
- Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.35 miles away1730 West 25th Street Cleveland Ohio 44113Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 696-4300
- Metrohealth SystemAcute Care Hospitals 14.57 miles away2500 Metrohealth Drive Cleveland Ohio 44109Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 778-7089
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.05 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Mercy Health-Allen HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 16.87 miles away200 West Lorain Street Oberlin Ohio 44074Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 775-1211
- Fmc - Westlake Dialysis Center3.88 miles away26024 Detroit Road Westlake Ohio 44145Dialysis Stations: 23 (440) 835-1139
- Center for Dialysis Care Westside Home Care LLC4.43 miles away24651 Center Ridge Rd Suite 450 Westlake Ohio 44145Dialysis Stations: 10 (440) 899-2808
- Fmc - Dialysis Specialists of Northeast Ohio5.89 miles away1070 Abbe Road North Elyria Ohio 44035Dialysis Stations: 21 (440) 365-8165
- Davita - Villa of Great Northern5.93 miles away22710 Fairview Center Dr., Ste 100 Cleveland Ohio 44126Dialysis Stations: 7 (440) 734-4630
- Davita - Center Ridge Dialysis6.23 miles away38630 Center Ridge Road North Ridgeville Ohio 44039Dialysis Stations: 14 (440) 327-2070
- Davita - Hilliard Dialysis7.61 miles away19133 Hilliard Blvd Rocky River Ohio 44116CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (216) 712-4700
- Fmc - Heritage Dialysis7.95 miles away1160 East Broad St. Elyria Ohio 44035CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 365-1811
- Center for Dialysis Care Middleburg Heights8.51 miles away6749 Eastland Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 234-3916