Avon Oaks Nursing Home is one of four available nursing homes in Avon, Ohio. This nursing home was awarded an A- overall, which is very favorable score. We simply can't say enough great things about this facility. This nursing home also received impressive grades in all four of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Avon Oaks Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with better grades in this area most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. You can't do much better than a deficiency-free inspection report.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing grade. This turned out to be its second best category grade. In that category, we awarded this facility a grade of A. When computing a facility's nursing grade, we assess the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the levels of training of the nurses. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Avon Oaks Nursing Home?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded a top-shelf short-term care score. Indeed, this ended up being this facility's third best category grade. In that category, this facility received a score of A-. Our short-term care ratings are arguably more meaningful for residents requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally mandates more highly-skilled nursing. This includes not only nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last measure we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we scored is long-term care, in which this nursing home received a B. Even though this turned out to be its lowest category rating, this is nevertheless an above average score. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avon Oaks Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avon Oaks Nursing Home, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avon Oaks Nursing Home, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who sustained falls leading to serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avon Oaks Nursing Home, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are often linked to a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic may be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avon Oaks Nursing Home, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avon Oaks Nursing Home, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avon Oaks Nursing Home, 20% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avon Oaks Nursing Home, 90.19% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avon Oaks Nursing Home, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom. Many in the industry believe that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avon Oaks Nursing Home, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who retained mobility levels.
In Avon Oaks Nursing Home, 1.39 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avon Oaks Nursing Home, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avon Oaks Nursing Home, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avon Oaks Nursing Home, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some believe this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Avon, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Avon, Ohio has 3 other nursing homes
- Uh St John Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.43 miles away29000 Center Ridge Road Westlake Ohio 44145Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 835-8000
- Mercy Health-Lorain HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.89 miles away3700 Kolbe Road Lorain Ohio 44053Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 960-4000
- Fairview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.51 miles away18101 Lorain Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44111Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 476-7000
- Southwest General Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.14 miles away18697 Bagley Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 816-6701
- Mercy Health-Allen HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 14.35 miles away200 West Lorain Street Oberlin Ohio 44074Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 775-1211
- Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.65 miles away1730 West 25th Street Cleveland Ohio 44113Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 696-4300
- Metrohealth SystemAcute Care Hospitals 17.87 miles away2500 Metrohealth Drive Cleveland Ohio 44109Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 778-7089
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.35 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Fmc - Dialysis Specialists of Northeast Ohio3.32 miles away1070 Abbe Road North Elyria Ohio 44035Dialysis Stations: 21 (440) 365-8165
- Davita - Center Ridge Dialysis4.68 miles away38630 Center Ridge Road North Ridgeville Ohio 44039Dialysis Stations: 14 (440) 327-2070
- Fmc - Heritage Dialysis6.25 miles away1160 East Broad St. Elyria Ohio 44035CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 365-1811
- Fmc - Elyria Renal Care Group6.6 miles away5316 Hoag Drive H Mcdonald Dialysis Ctr Elyria Ohio 44035Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 934-5700
- Fmc - Westlake Dialysis Center7.14 miles away26024 Detroit Road Westlake Ohio 44145Dialysis Stations: 23 (440) 835-1139
- Center for Dialysis Care Westside Home Care LLC7.74 miles away24651 Center Ridge Rd Suite 450 Westlake Ohio 44145Dialysis Stations: 10 (440) 899-2808
- Davita - Amherst Dialysis8.31 miles away3200 Cooper Foster Park Rd. W. Lorain Ohio 44053Dialysis Stations: 19 (440) 989-1410
- Davita - Villa of Great Northern9.01 miles away22710 Fairview Center Dr., Ste 100 Cleveland Ohio 44126Dialysis Stations: 7 (440) 734-4630