Avocado Post Acute is a nursing home in El Cajon, California. This city has a population of 165,433 people. We gave this facility an F, which is really a bottom of the barrel score in our grading scheme. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 12 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category is nursing, which is discussed in the next section.
Avocado Post Acute
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Avocado Post Acute has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility an abysmal overall score, we awarded it a B- for our nursing category. Our nursing score assesses the facility's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of licensure of those nurses and the quantity of hours spent with residents. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Lastly, nursing grades also consider quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically an indicator that a place has quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a facility provides enough nurses to assist its patients.
Short-term Care Quality
We were also surprised to discover that this nursing home earned a somewhat respectable short-term care score in our assessment. We gave it a grade of B- in this category. Our short-term care ratings are considered to be more critical for residents in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically mandates more skilled nursing services. This includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we assessed. The important question is whether this also impacted quality of care. The last datapoint we looked at in this area is the number of patients that were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. This figure was below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Avocado Post Acute?
Long-term Care Quality
Incredibly, we awarded this nursing home a C for our long-term care score, which is not a bad grade. Long-term care grades are generally used to measure a nursing home's performance as a traditional nursing home, as opposed to focusing on the skilled nursing services provided by a rehabilitation facility. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 99.8818 percent of its residents, which is more than the majority of nursing homes. This place also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Turning our final area of inspections, this facility received an F in this area. Since this data is collected by independent government inspectors, we heavily weight poor results in this area. When a facility has this poor of an inspection score, you should look for severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This nursing home had 5 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they caused a risk to resident health or safety. Finally, CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avocado Post Acute Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avocado Post Acute, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avocado Post Acute, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffered a fall which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avocado Post Acute, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This measures the percentage of long-term patients who had UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric can also be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avocado Post Acute, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. These medications are used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avocado Post Acute, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avocado Post Acute, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avocado Post Acute, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avocado Post Acute, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate the deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avocado Post Acute, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Avocado Post Acute, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avocado Post Acute, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avocado Post Acute, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avocado Post Acute, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts believe this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for El Cajon, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? El Cajon, California has 11 other nursing homes
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.15 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.9 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 8.17 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.09 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.59 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 11.6 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.15 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.27 miles away751 Medical Center Court Chula Vista California 91911Proprietary(619) 502-5800
- Fmc-Balboa East County1.5 miles away570 N. Second Street El Cajon California 92021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 588-7500
- Fmc-Rai-Fletcher Parkway-El Cajon1.71 miles away858 Fletcher Parkway El Cajon California 92020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 442-4122
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center2.53 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Davita-College Dialysis6.2 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College6.45 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego7.93 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise8.48 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Fmc-East Lakes9.11 miles away2391 Boswell Road Chula Vista California 91914CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (619) 397-0939