Avocado Post Acute is a nursing home in El Cajon, California. This city has a population of 165,433 people. We gave this facility an F, which is really a bottom of the barrel score in our grading scheme. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 12 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its strong nursing score. You can continue reading to find out about nursing and other category grades
Avocado Post Acute
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it actually received a quality score in the area of nursing. We awarded it a B in this category. The nursing score includes many datapoints. The most important variable is the number of hours nurses spend with patients. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also didn't grade out poorly in the category of long-term care. Indeed, we awarded it a grade of C for that area, which happens to be another one of its more respectable grades. Long-term care grades are vital for patients seeking non-healthcare services such as personal care. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. We were optimistic to discover that this facility vaccinated 99.87775 percent of its patients against pneumonia. This facility also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Avocado Post Acute?
Short-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home only earned a D for its short-term care rating, which is not an impressive grade. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we look at the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This category is generally a fair assessment of the nursing home's rehabilitation. Considering its score in this category, we were not stunned to discover that this facility was well below average in terms of the quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the data we assessed. Honestly, this was about what we expected here. The final measure we looked at in this category is the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 4.2 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was well below the national average.
Turning our final category of inspections, this facility received an abysmal grade. We weight this category more heavily than other categories. When a place has this poor of an inspection rating, you should expect some severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This nursing home was hit with 5 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they created a risk to patient safety or health. Lastly, we need to point out that this facility received significant government fines recently of over $100,000. This usually suggests that a facility's bad track record has been an issue for more than one year.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avocado Post Acute Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avocado Post Acute, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avocado Post Acute, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Better nursing protocols can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avocado Post Acute, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients that experienced a urinary tract infection. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avocado Post Acute, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avocado Post Acute, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically used to treat residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avocado Post Acute, 4.33% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avocado Post Acute, 95.72% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avocado Post Acute, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avocado Post Acute, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents that were able to retain mobility. Many argue that mobility is critical to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Avocado Post Acute, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avocado Post Acute, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avocado Post Acute, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avocado Post Acute, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for El Cajon, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? El Cajon, California has 11 other nursing homes
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.15 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.9 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 8.17 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.09 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.59 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 11.6 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.15 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.27 miles away751 Medical Center Court Chula Vista California 91911Proprietary(619) 502-5800
- Fmc-Balboa East County1.5 miles away570 N. Second Street El Cajon California 92021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 588-7500
- Fmc-Rai-Fletcher Parkway-El Cajon1.71 miles away858 Fletcher Parkway El Cajon California 92020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 442-4122
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center2.53 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Davita-College Dialysis6.2 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College6.45 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego7.93 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise8.48 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Fmc-East Lakes9.11 miles away2391 Boswell Road Chula Vista California 91914CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (619) 397-0939