Aviva at Fitzsimons is an average-sized nursing home located in Aurora, Colorado. This facility is among the most elite nursing homes we found. It received one of the highest scores that we offer. At the end of the day, this place would be a great choice for most people. One of the major highlights of this facility's exemplary profile is its inspection grade. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Aviva at Fitzsimons
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
13525 East 23rd Avenue,
Aurora CO 80045
53.8% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this category most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. We weren't able to track down deficiency counts for this nursing home. We wish we had more information about this facility. Without having complete information regarding deficiencies, it is challenging to fully evaluate it in this area.
Short-term Care Quality
This top notch facility also excelled in the category of short-term care, where we gave it a grade of A+. Only a small group of facilities fared better in this category. In the area of short-term care, we try to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. This nursing home is the gold standard in terms of skilled nursing staffing. It provided roughly one and a half times as many registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than the typical nursing home. This is what we like to find when grading a nursing home in this category. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. In addition to excelling in the area of physical therapy hours, we found that it fared as well as just about any facility with 68.8 percent of its patients returning home. Most nursing homes are below 50 percent in this statistic.
Does this page answer your questions about Aviva at Fitzsimons?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Our nursing grade weighs a handful of components, but the main consideration is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provided 4.5 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, which is among the highest totals in the country. A significant percentage of those hours were provided by registered nurses, which are one of the most skilled levels of nurses. We were very impressed by these figures. On top of offering high levels of care, this place also performed well in several of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In terms of the number of its residents suffering falls resulting in serious injury, this facility performed as well as any facility the nation.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we analyzed is long-term care, where this facility received a grade of B-. Although this proved to be its worst category score, this is still not the end of the world. In determining our long-term care ratings, we look at the personal care received by a nursing home's residents. This nursing home's vaccination records were not as strong as its number of nursing hours per resident. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to just 87.80488 percent of its residents. We'd like to see some improvement herein this statistic next year. Nevertheless, this place excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aviva at Fitzsimons Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aviva at Fitzsimons, 5.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that have pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aviva at Fitzsimons, 3.41% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who have had a fall resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aviva at Fitzsimons, 2.12% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients who have suffered from urinary tract infections. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aviva at Fitzsimons, 17.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for treating several medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aviva at Fitzsimons, 12.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aviva at Fitzsimons, 3.71% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some believe this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aviva at Fitzsimons, 85.88% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aviva at Fitzsimons, 15.2% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate decline of a patient's medical condition.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aviva at Fitzsimons, 11.36 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aviva at Fitzsimons, 75.04% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Aurora, CO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Aurora, Colorado has 10 other nursing homes
- Children's Hospital ColoradoChildrens 0.59 miles away13123 E 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Voluntary non-profit - Private(720) 777-1234
- University of Colorado Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 0.78 miles away12605 E 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Government - Hospital District or Authority(720) 848-0000
- Medical Center of Aurora, TheAcute Care Hospitals 4.16 miles away1501 S Potomac St Aurora Colorado 80012Proprietary(303) 873-5511
- Rose Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.6 miles away4567 E 9th Ave Denver Colorado 80220Proprietary(303) 320-2121
- National Jewish HealthAcute Care Hospitals 5.97 miles away1400 Jackson St Denver Colorado 80206Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 388-4461
- Presbyterian St Lukes Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.23 miles away1719 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Government - State(303) 839-6000
- Saint Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.49 miles away1375 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 812-2000
- Denver Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.56 miles away777 Bannock St Denver Colorado 80204Government - State(303) 602-4930
- The Childrens Hospital Kidney Ctr.0.49 miles away13123 E 16th Ave #328 Aurora Colorado 80045Dialysis Stations: 9 (720) 777-6263
- University of Co Hospital - Home Dialysis0.74 miles away12605 E. 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Dialysis Stations: 6 (720) 848-3102
- Aurora Dialysis (Fmc)1.21 miles away962 Potomac Cir Aurora Colorado 80011Dialysis Stations: 24 (303) 340-1398
- Sable Dialysis (Dva)1.78 miles away509 N Sable Blvd Aurora Colorado 80011CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (303) 366-9458
- Northeast Denver Dialysis (Fkc)1.97 miles away590 Laredo St Aurora Colorado 80017Dialysis Stations: 17 (303) 344-8704
- Montbello Dialysis2.72 miles away4834 Chambers Road Denver Colorado 80239Dialysis Stations: 12 (303) 371-1502
- East Aurora Dialysis (Dva)3.11 miles away482 S Chambers Rd Aurora Colorado 80017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (303) 696-1137
- Stapleton Dialysis (Fmc)3.83 miles away7606 E 36th Ave Denver Colorado 80238Dialysis Stations: 20 (303) 322-1513