Aviva at Fitzsimons is an average-sized nursing home located in Aurora, Colorado. This nursing home turns out to be an A rated facility. It received one of the top scores that we offer. A grade in this range requires superb marks across the board. In fact, this nursing home has the distinction of being one of the 50 best facilities in Colorado. One of the major highlights of this facility's remarkable report card is its inspection grade. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Aviva at Fitzsimons
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Aurora senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Colorado Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place ended up being a quality nursing home is that it earned an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical area. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. It doesn't look like we were able to find information about this nursing home's deficiencies. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its high-end profile, this facility also received a strong long-term care grade, with a grade of A. If you are looking for services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care ratings. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 84.84849 percent of its patients. This is a bit lower than we expected. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, at least this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Aviva at Fitzsimons?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a very impressive short-term care score. Indeed, this is its third strongest category score. In that category, this facility received a grade of A. Short-term care grades are commonly used to grade a facility's performance with rehabilitation In order to offer high-end rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to offer higher levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
In the final area, this facility also was awarded an impressive nursing score, with a grade of B+. This topped off a very impressive report card. When determining a nursing home's nursing grade, we assess the number of hours nurses are seeing patients as well as the level of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a policy of moving patients even once per day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aviva at Fitzsimons Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aviva at Fitzsimons, 5.67% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aviva at Fitzsimons, 3.72% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who have suffered a fall resulting in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aviva at Fitzsimons, 2.04% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percent of long-term patients who experienced UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric could be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aviva at Fitzsimons, 17.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aviva at Fitzsimons, 12.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term residents which were given antianxiety medication. These drugs are typically used to treat patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aviva at Fitzsimons, 3.91% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Higher rates of depression could reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aviva at Fitzsimons, 84.62% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aviva at Fitzsimons, 15.34% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and taking a bath. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aviva at Fitzsimons, 12.31 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aviva at Fitzsimons, 76.2% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Aurora, CO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Aurora, Colorado has 6 other nursing homes
- Children's Hospital ColoradoChildrens 0.59 miles away13123 E 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Voluntary non-profit - Private(720) 777-1234
- University of Colorado Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 0.78 miles away12605 E 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Government - Hospital District or Authority(720) 848-0000
- Medical Center of Aurora, TheAcute Care Hospitals 4.16 miles away1501 S Potomac St Aurora Colorado 80012Proprietary(303) 873-5511
- Rose Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.6 miles away4567 E 9th Ave Denver Colorado 80220Proprietary(303) 320-2121
- National Jewish HealthAcute Care Hospitals 5.97 miles away1400 Jackson St Denver Colorado 80206Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 388-4461
- Presbyterian St Lukes Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.23 miles away1719 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Government - State(303) 839-6000
- Saint Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.49 miles away1375 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 812-2000
- Denver Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.56 miles away777 Bannock St Denver Colorado 80204Government - State(303) 602-4930
- The Childrens Hospital Kidney Ctr.0.49 miles away13123 E 16th Ave #328 Aurora Colorado 80045Dialysis Stations: 9 (720) 777-6263
- University of Co Hospital - Home Dialysis0.74 miles away12605 E. 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Dialysis Stations: 6 (720) 848-3102
- Aurora Dialysis (Fmc)1.21 miles away962 Potomac Cir Aurora Colorado 80011Dialysis Stations: 24 (303) 340-1398
- Sable Dialysis (Dva)1.78 miles away509 N Sable Blvd Aurora Colorado 80011CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (303) 366-9458
- Northeast Denver Dialysis (Fkc)1.97 miles away590 Laredo St Aurora Colorado 80017Dialysis Stations: 17 (303) 344-8704
- Montbello Dialysis2.72 miles away4834 Chambers Road Denver Colorado 80239Dialysis Stations: 12 (303) 371-1502
- East Aurora Dialysis (Dva)3.11 miles away482 S Chambers Rd Aurora Colorado 80017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (303) 696-1137
- Stapleton Dialysis (Fmc)3.83 miles away7606 E 36th Ave Denver Colorado 80238Dialysis Stations: 20 (303) 322-1513